Smartest/Dumbest Vaping Decisions You've Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Howdy, I thought it would be fun for us to share our best and worst stories related to vaping, something like this:

Dumbest: Priming a new coil with just flavor extract...licorice flavor :cry:
Second would be impulse buying my first subohm tank and APV, got a Horizon Arctic which is Great but got a DNA30 clone with it which is Not great...and doesnt even have the power for an Arctic :/ overpriced, too

Smartest: Joining E-cigarette-forum and reading it a Lot, and DIY liquid mixing.

Share your mistakes and A-Ha moments!

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'd say smartest and dumbest was joining ECF haha. I learn a lot here, but I want to buy a lot being here.
Another smart one was starting a YouTube channel. I didn't do it for a ton of subscribers, I did it to review vaping products and record and edit videos which I enjoy and to help with me being shy.
Smart: Buying a Reo Grand.

Let's see dumb, I'd have to say kissing a coil and getting a nice twisted coil imprint on my lip was the dumbest :p

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Dumbest would be purchasing a genesis-style RBA as my first exposure to rebuilding. The complexity turned me away from rebuilding again for several months. Got a Kayfun which was a much better design and experience.

Smartest would be when I purchased my first Provari. Second place in this category would be when I ditched my starter kit cigalikes, skipped eGo's altogether, and went directly to mods.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Dumbest would be purchasing a genesis-style RBA as my first exposure to rebuilding. The complexity turned me away from rebuilding again for several months.

Best would be when I purchased my first Provari.

I'm strictly the opposite. Having a gennie as my first RBA - with nothing but CE4 clearos to fall back on - forced me to learn something that turned out to be a very nice, very low maintenance vape. I'm not kidding when I say it's probably 3-4 weeks since last I did anything besides re-filling. And that's with just two atties in current rotation. One I'm rebuilding right now, the other will be rebuilt when the first is proven reliable. Then I should be good for another month or so.

Dumbest? All the stuff currently collecting dust on my shelf. Even dumber? The stuff collecting dust in a cardboard box at the back of some cupboard.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm strictly the opposite. Having a gennie as my first RBA - with nothing but CE4 clearos to fall back on - forced me to learn something that turned out to be a very nice, very low maintenance vape. I'm not kidding when I say it's probably 3-4 weeks since last I did anything besides re-filling. And that's with just two atties in current rotation. One I'm rebuilding right now, the other will be rebuilt when the first is proven reliable. Then I should be good for another month or so.

Dumbest? All the stuff currently collecting dust on my shelf. Even dumber? The stuff collecting dust in a cardboard box at the back of some cupboard.

Think I could supply a vape meet raffle with mine. :lol:
    WAIT: I got most of that stuff from vape meet raffles!

Aceman12

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Houston
    Worst: yeah buying a genesis was probably mine. Burned at least $100 of those stupid ceramic wicks that break if you breathe on them. But there's also the countless unvapable juices and stupid random gear that you don't use.

Best: Ill copy everyone and say the reo. That thing is like "the good the bad and the ugly" of mods. It's older then dirt but still one of the best around. I started with it and still can't find anything better.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Smartest: DIY, I cant even imagine how much money this has saved me.

Dumbest: I really cant think of one, it been a very fruitful journey to the comfy place I`m at now. First couple of months, 3-4, were a ....., but it was so worth it. I never, I repeat NEVER, thought I would have the strength to get off the cigars. Let alone be able to lead my wife to a place where she no longer suffers from Pleurisy.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Smartest: Decided to give e-cigarettes an honest to God shot.
    Dumbest #1 (yeah, there were enough of them to assign numbers): Didn't want to push a button to "smoke", fill tanks, or care about different flavors, so thought I should get one of those that look just like a cigarette. But.....
    Smartest #2 (Guess I'll have to start numbering these as well): Did more research which led me here and decided to make a 100 mile journey to a vape shop to try different batteries, tanks, and flavors as well as get some good advice and instruction. Walked out with two 650 mah batteries, two t3d tanks, and 3 bottles of different flavor juices. I paid attention when reading about backups. Sure as he!! somebody will claim this purchase should be under a "dumbest" heading, but I digress.
    Dumbest #2: I put a tank on each battery and when I wanted to change flavors would just grab the other setup. It only took about two days before both batteries ran out of juice (that may be confusing, so use needed charging) within 15 minutes of each other. DOH! It's really not that hard to change the tanks on one battery, then change to the other while the first is charging!

Oh, believe me, I could go on.......but hearing the sounds of multiple heads hitting a desk from falling asleep while reading my mundane ramblings tells me it's time to bring this to an end. And I should probably label this post as "dumbest #3!

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
    Aug 15, 2013
    Huntersville, NC
    I'll leave it up others to label as smart or dumb....

The magnets in my 4nine were getting weak, I bought a set of magnets for it to replace them. It turns out they're thinker than the original magnets and require some modifications. Didn't think things through, starting taking out the old magnets, destroying them in the process and didn't have time to properly adjust the new ones to fit last night. Haven't had to use my back-up ego twists in 6 months, don't remember where I put the charger and didn't have time to rebuild my tank to work on the ego batteries, either.... So I've been running the 4nine the last 12 hours or so with no magnets, just the battery in the tube with the button, trusting in gravity to break the circuit when I let go of the button, but the vape has never been better....

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Smartest: getting my first Reo and bottom feed atomizer, after trying every other vaping device known to man.

Dumbest: One of my earliest DIY attempts. Using TFA Caramel Cappuccino at 10%.

Just got some cappuccino flavoring. Thinking about adding some lamp black to lighten up the color of it. :lol:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    Smartest (outside of quitting smoking and going to vaping instead) was learning DIY and developing my own favorite juice which I've been using exclusively now for about 3 years!

Dumbest was probably sinking as much money as I did in those awful early clearomizers with the top coil and the long wick things. Starlight or Starburst or whatever the silly things were called. Truly aggravating and truly a waste! (but I suppose they did eventually lead to the better tanks with the BVCs and such later on).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread