Smelling, tasting, etc.. Question about experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krissyyy

Jan 8, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hey everyone!
So I'm only into my 3rd day as vaper. Smoked a little less than a pack a day for 6 years. I know that when you quit smoking your sinuses, taste buds, and ability to smell all improve. I was wondering if the same thing happens when you switch from analogs to vaping?

I tried to look it up and all the "experts" say different things, making me feel like they have no idea. Haha. So I figured you all would know more having experienced it. :vapor:

Thanks!!

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Heck yeah! It took about 2-3 weeks for my taste and smell to get back really good (and it certainly helped that within 2 days of starting vaping my decades-long clogged/dripping sinuses cleared up too). Around the same time as my taste/smell coming back I got very hungry for about a week. For the first time I out-ate my fiance at a buffet. He was done with his dessert and I was still elbow deep in melted butter these big shrimp that tasted/smelled vaguely like lobster. Then my appetite went back to normal but food tastes and smells better than before.

Remember to stay hydrated - vaping can be drying. And I recommend using juices with at least some VG in them to buffer nicotine's irritation so you don't get sore mouth or throat. Nicotine is a skin irritant and it is more irritating in 100% PG. I switched to 70PG/30VG after my first bottle of PG. I later went to 80PG/20VG because I get a bit better life out of cartomizers with it (as well as by avoiding all dark/cloudy/opaque juices that drop carto-clogging flavoring sediment).

Last edited:

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Yep, I'm am a certified expert in absolutely nothing.....But yes your taste and smell will come back with a vengeance :) I would advise even going as far as buying cleaners and fabreeze. When your sniffer opens up you will be assaulted with all these nasty little smells that you never noticed. And god forbid you have neighbors who smoke. It will get in your house and reek to high heaven. Even your taste buds will go through major changes....Spicy food and salt became overpowering for me. :)

DeLuca

Jan 9, 2012
Massachusetts
Everything got better for me after quitting cigs. Everything that improves my overall quality of life, enhances. Taste, smell, breathing, sickness(decreases), and I feel better when I wake up in the morning too. IMHO

Also, vaping still gives me the cigarette "feel" due to the similar motion.

Keep at it, I felt better after starting to vape, and I hope you will too.

krissyyy

Jan 8, 2012
Pittsburgh
You're in the right place for anecdotal evidence as far as switching to vaping goes: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

That's a compiled list of what you can expect when you switch from smoking to vaping so you can compare against what the majority reported about their switch there.

Being able to smell and taste better is quite a commonly noted advantage to vaping so you should be pleasantly surprised :)

That's perfect. Thanks so much!

krissyyy

Jan 8, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yep, I'm am a certified expert in absolutely nothing.....But yes your taste and smell will come back with a vengeance :) I would advise even going as far as buying cleaners and fabreeze. When your sniffer opens up you will be assaulted with all these nasty little smells that you never noticed. And god forbid you have neighbors who smoke. It will get in your house and reek to high heaven. Even your taste buds will go through major changes....Spicy food and salt became overpowering for me. :)

I actually did start cleaning and washing everything little thing in my house.. I figured if my smell did start to come back, the last thing I wanted to start smelling was all the stale ciggarette smoke that I'm sure was over everything. haha.

dcinky

Nov 22, 2011
Kentucky,USA
Congrats on taking the BIG step to quitting..*clap*
I smoked for over 30 years. I have COPD and HAD to quit. My daughter researched e-cigarettes and talked me into trying them. Both her and I have quit. Smoked my last analog about 4pm Nov 14th. Haven't touched one since. Haven't even had a craving for one.
I use the eGo-T..I vape Atomic Fireball flavor. Yummy...I can breath normal for the first time in 10 years. I can smell & taste my food now.(and everything else ) LOL..My clothes and house no longer smells like smoke. it smells good now ,..like cinnamon :)
Stay with it ..I tell you its worth it.

I smoked for 20 years. and I was a saltaholic.

Now, I know that I have been oversalting food since I was a kid (I actually started smoking 36 years ago- my mother never quit. heck, thinking about it, my GRANDMOTHER never quit- so add another 20 to that... LOL)

I smell cigs on people walking down the isles at walmart- and honestly wanna gag- the price of cigs is STILL killing me- because people who smoke the cheaper brands smell MUCH worse.

I can smell a fire that is miles away- (which was freaky this summer, cause I live in Texas- half the state burned.. LOL)

I taste SOO much more- so, in my opinion, you will indeed get back the senses that you lost due to smoking- and I dont cough anymore either. I used to couldnt even laugh without coughing...

kalimist

Oct 9, 2011
New Zealand
I feel a little envious to be honest. I've been vaping for a few months now and I honestly dont feel as though my sense of taste or smell has improved. I really thought vaping rather than smoking would give me my senses back.
I also haven't noticed any health improvements either, but then again maybe because I'm relatively healthy anyway vaping is probably more of a preventative than a cure for me.
The main thing for me is that I feel better knowing I'm not inhaling a concoction of chemicals and more impotantly I'm not increasing the wealth of tobacco companies.
I still wish my miserable sense of smell and taste would improve, maybe it might take me a little longer to get these results.

krissyyy

Jan 8, 2012
Pittsburgh
I feel a little envious to be honest. I've been vaping for a few months now and I honestly dont feel as though my sense of taste or smell has improved. I really thought vaping rather than smoking would give me my senses back.
I also haven't noticed any health improvements either, but then again maybe because I'm relatively healthy anyway vaping is probably more of a preventative than a cure for me.
The main thing for me is that I feel better knowing I'm not inhaling a concoction of chemicals and more impotantly I'm not increasing the wealth of tobacco companies.
I still wish my miserable sense of smell and taste would improve, maybe it might take me a little longer to get these results.

Aw, I'm sorry. I'm sure it will still happen for you! But that's great that you were able to stop analogs and prevent tons all of the health risks. So whether or not your sense of smell and taste come back, that's still a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread