Smok AL85 (Alien Baby) Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the al85 Kit from smok. The kit was kindly provided free of charge by Ema from sourcemore for the purpose of this review.

https://www.sourcemore.com/smok-al85-ali...color.html

In the Box

Contents:

1 x AL85 Mod
1 x TFV8 Baby Tank (3mL)
1 x V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.4ohm dual coils) (Pre-Installed)
1 x V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.6ohm dual coils)
1 x USB Charge/Upgrade Cable
1 x User Manual
Spare O-rings
Battery Safety Card
Warranty Card
Vape Band

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The AL85 is the exact design copy of the Alien but in miniature. If it wasn't for the Eleaf style battery cap on top of the mod allowing the device to be shorter than an 18650 battery it really would be a case of "Honey Who Shrunk My Alien". The Alien design suits the smaller version very well and is very pleasing to the eye. The paint finish is very nice. The kit sent to me was the full colour. The 3ml Baby Beast tank supplied with the kit looks very nice on top of the device.

Ergonomically i'm not sure it can get much better as the device just gets swallowed up by the hand and it feels very comfortable. The responsive fire bar just needs a squeeze to fire, (very nice).

Baby Beast

Spec

Size: 22 x 53mm
Capacity: 3ml
Coil: V8 Q2 dual core - 0.4ohm (Best: 55 - 65W)
Coil: V8 Q2 dual core - 0.6ohm (Best: 30 - 40W)
V8 baby RBA (optional)
Material: SS
Thread: 510

The Baby Beast has been reviewed so many times going in to detail will bore most people. For those that haven't come across it before, it is a top-fill, very flavoursome tank capable of keeping those that like their clouds happy. There are plenty of coil options to keep the majority of people happy. The Baby Beast is ideal for DL vapers but also caters for the inbetweeners. Some people are MTL and some DL, but i believe there are a lot of people who have a vaping style that suits them personally that falls inbetween the two. It makes it no surprise that it is included in so many Smok kits.

AL85 (Baby Alien)

Time to have a look at the baby device that packs a fair punch.

Spec

Size: 71 x 48 x 27mm
Weight: 120g
Power Range: 1-85W
Voltage Range: 0.35-8.0V
Resistance Range:
0.10ohm – 3.00Ohm (VW Mode)
0.06ohm – 3.00Ohm (TC Mode)
Temperature Range: 200-600F/100-315C
OLED Screen
Smok Alien Design
Top Battery Compartment
Temperature Control.
Comes in Many Colours.

Build Quality

The device is built solidly and the paint finish seems durable enough. The 510 is good quality and sits nice and flush. There are no rattles from the device including when the battery is fitted.

Using the device

The AL85 is a single 18650 device with a maximum output of 85 watts which will cover most vapers needs. Those that vape at higher wattages obviously this isn't the device for you. The battery can be changed with ease while the device is standing upright, unscrew the cap and just pull out the protruding battery. The battery orientation is clearly marked. Apart from the maximum output wattage the device is identical in spec to the Alien. The Menu also is identical and is the menu system Smok has used on other devices such as the QBox. Five clicks turns the device on then 3 clicks takes you out of the main screen into the menu choices which you can scroll through and choose to enter. It really is an easy interface to use so no surprise they use it on so many devices. Some people might find the main screen a bit cluttered but i am ok with the wealth of information. The device fully supports temperature conrol. The device will also accommodate 25mm tanks without overhang which is impressive for such a small device.

Performance

The device didn't let me down while i was using it and going back to the ergonomics felt very comfortable in the hand. I used the supplied tank for the majority of time and gave both supplied coils a good go. The 0.4 i settled for 50W which i know is 5 watts below the recommended best but i found the flavour excellent and easily enough cloud for me. The 0.6 i was bang in the middle of the recommended best at 35w and was equally impressed. At those wattages the battery life was perfectly acceptable in my opinion. There is no battery venting and although i didnt find the device got more than slightly warm when chain vaping i would still prefer venting on the device. I only dabbled at the temperature control with stainless steel and it seemed fine but i am only just getting to grips with temperature control so i'm not anywhere near competent enough to give a verdict. Not being a temp control whizz i did do some research and from what i found it works fine. The battery can be charged via the usb port and the device supports firmware upgrades.

Conclusion

A single battery device that really does pack a punch giving most vapers everything they need from a device. The included Baby Beast is a great choice of tank giving both flavour and cloud.

Likes Baby Beast

Flavoursome
Plenty of Clouds
Top-fill
Plenty of Coil Options
RBA Option

Likes AL85 (Baby Alien)

Great Design
Good Build Quality
User Friendly Menu
Wealth of Information on Main Screen
Top Entry Battery
On Board Charging
Firmware Upgradable
Small Size
Ergonomically Superb

Dislikes

No Battery Venting

I would like once again to thank Ema from Sourcemore for supplying the Smok AL85 Kit and it can be found here:

https://www.sourcemore.com/smok-al85-ali...color.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread