Smok Al85 burning holes in batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady M

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Oregon
My Cap is a bear to put on , I like the Mod but SMOk needs to do better threads. But I do like mine it is Pink and pretty and a nice little size. They cap could be doing something since the threading is on mine anyway is hard to put on, might keep your eye on that because tearing battery skin off is not cool .

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Yuhhh

May 2, 2017
My Cap is a bear to put on , I like the Mod but SMOk needs to do better threads. But I do like mine it is Pink and pretty and a nice little size. They cap could be doing something since the threading is on mine anyway is hard to put on, might keep your eye on that because tearing battery skin off is not cool .

Yeah I agree. But still not sure what the issue is

Blake king

May 9, 2017
Hey guys!

I've had my Smok Al 85 for a while now. A previous battery I had in the mod, had 2 little holes through the battery wrap on the side near the top end(which is the negative side). And just earlier I noticed the same thing with a brand new battery I had just put in there. Anyone have similar problem or any suggestions?

I have had the same problem I have been looking all day for someone else with this issue!

Reactions: Yuhhh

Yuhhh

May 2, 2017
IMG_4553.JPG

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
To me, those 2 small holes appear to be melt points in the wrap.

What power levels are you using?

If you're in the mid 50w to over 60w range you are mostly likley over stressing the battery causing it to heat up.
The wrap is a low temp heat shrink, if the cell heats up any imperfection in the the wrap (even unnoticeable by eye) could cause it to melt in these areas.

awt is another one of those that falsely rate & re wrap cells, it may be a 20a cdr cell or it may be less.
They frequently change the cell used underneath the wrap, no telling what you'll actually get.
Best to purchase only authentic name brand cells from a reputable vendor / dealer.

If you regularly use below 60w I'd suggest;
Samsung 30q 3000mah 20a CDR
LgHg2 3000mah 18ish a CDR
Sony vtc6 3000mah 19ish a CDR

Above 60w below 75w,
Sony vtc5A must be ‘A’ 2500mah 25a CDR
Lg HD2 2000mah 25a CDR
LgHD 2C 2100 mah 25a CDR

Above 75w;
Sony vtc3 1500mah 28ish a CDR
LGHB series 1500mah 30a CDR

Lady M

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Oregon
To me, those 2 small holes appear to be melt points in the wrap.

What power levels are you using?

If you're in the mid 50w to over 60w range you are mostly likley over stressing the battery causing it to heat up.
The wrap is a low temp heat shrink, if the cell heats up any imperfection in the the wrap (even unnoticeable by eye) could cause it to melt in these areas.

awt is another one of those that falsely rate & re wrap cells, it may be a 20a cdr cell or it may be less.
They frequently change the cell used underneath the wrap, no telling what you'll actually get.
Best to purchase only authentic name brand cells from a reputable vendor / dealer.

If you regularly use below 60w I'd suggest;
Samsung 30q 3000mah 20a CDR
LgHg2 3000mah 18ish a CDR
Sony vtc6 3000mah 19ish a CDR

Above 60w below 75w,
Sony vtc5A must be ‘A’ 2500mah 25a CDR
Lg HD2 2000mah 25a CDR
LgHD 2C 2100 mah 25a CDR

Above 75w;
Sony vtc3 1500mah 28ish a CDR
LGHB series 1500mah 30a CDR
Very interesting.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There's always the option to overwrap it with a clear shrink wrap that preserves the ID markings and provides a second skin to prevent further pin ....... IF there are projections inside the battery holder they should be apparent to a finger rub.

I agree with Topwater Elvis in that there's shrinkage visible around the holes in the wrap. That indicates thin spots in the wrap that shrank away from the weak areas.

Try some Samsung 30Q or 25R or any other 20A to 25A cells recommended by Mooch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread