Smok AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Having, and really liking my Alien and G-Priv, I picked up an AL85 this weekend to replace my aging single battery IPV's. It's a very nice, good looking little mod. Love the fire bar and big screen. The battery cover was a bit "crunchy" the first couple times, but has smoothed out after a few uses. Because of the toggle up/down switch, I discovered that rather then five clicks to lock/unlock, pushing the up/down buttons together accomplishes that. It also works on the Alien. So shoot me for not reading the manual in its entirety! :facepalm:

The only downside for me is the short battery life. I used my IPV mini2 and D2 with tanks limited to 28 - 32 watts. With the baby beast on the 85 at 56 watts, carrying an extra battery is a must if going out for 3 or 4 hours. I haven't even tested it running at 70 - 80 watts, which would also be pushing the limits of a 20 amp battery. Since "going out" for me usually incudes at least a 1 hour round trip drive, a dual battery mod is a safer bet.

So, for me, although it is a great little mod, I would trade it in for another Alien that better suits my situation.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
It was going to buy one of these on the weekend but they only had the full kit. Great little mod from the couple of minutes I spent with it, but I am really not a big fan of the Baby Beast at all. I have one and greatly prefer my BBB and CB.

I also think my Alien is better for me as I vape my Smok mods/tanks @ 40-60w (BBB) and 90-120w (CB). A 1 battery mod with a BB would be a waste of time unless I used a different tank such as a Nautilus or Triton Mini with a 1.8ohm coil.

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy
got my AL85 yesterday, mod only, black with the red frame. looks great, feels good in the hand, lightweight but solid, firmware V1.0.7. a little bulkier than the Pico; weight 158,5 g vs. 132 g of the Pico (both with a Sony VTC6). It works OK in wattage mode but I was disappointed by the TC control. Just tried the SS (I vape 95% with SS316L, dual coil 28G, 8 wraps, 2,5mm ID around 0,38 ohm at 200-210°C; fantastic vape on both my TC mods a Pico and a Lost Vape Therion DNA75) preset, that got me crazy because it's just NOT producing any vapor! the factory TCR 0,00115 (the correct value is 0,00092) even if higher than the proper one is NOT heating up the coil neither setting a higher wattage. I had to raise the TCR to 0,00170 and 240°C to have some (inconsistent) vapor. No words. When you vape you feel that the coil is heating up in a sawtooth cycle (up and down), the ohm reading starts raising as normal with SS when heating up but then starts fluctuating up and down (showing every now and then the -temp protected- screen). I didn't find a way to lock the resistance and whats even funnier is that if you vape on wattage mode with a SS coil, the ohms don't change (like if the resistance were locked)!!! Thumbs down Smok. This firmware version sucks. Not to mention that it drains the battery faster than the Pico and stops working at around 3,35-3,40V (used in wattage mode 0,4 ohm coil 30W).
Let's see if there will be an update fixing this issues, in the meantime if you have to get a small mod for SS TC (BTW more efficient in WATT mode as well) that is a tested workhorse you'd better go for a Pico...

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
As a follow up to my earlier post in regards to battery life.....

Batteries used were Samsung 25R 2500mah.

Using the baby alien with the baby beast at 56 watts and setting on "hard", battery ran out at just under 100 puffs. I started getting the low battery notice even though the battery bar showed it down around 1/4. But I did realize I had an older battery in use. The vape did seem to diminish as the battery wore down. For me, using it with the included bb, 2 hours would be the max in that configuration.

I set it to "normal" with a newer, but identical battery and ran an Atlantis and Subtank at 28 to 32 watts and went over 200 puffs on that setup. Vape seemed to diminish considerably once over the 200, so would consider that the max and would provide me a reasonably safe 3 hours use.

All my 3000mah batteries are in married pairs, so not up to breaking a pair up just to test that out. Simple math would indicate roughly a 20% increase in run time, too little for me to make the "sacrifice." I should also mention I had reduced the screen time to 30 seconds and not sure how much difference setting it to 10 seconds would make.

I also liked the idea that a 25mm tank would fit the mod, but it does look a bit "odd" and is a bit top heavy with the larger tanks.

Now that I have made it sound like I do not like the AL85, I do like the little :censored: ! Nice looks and fit, love the fire bar, big screen and nice menu/navigation, and very carry friendly. It's just a matter of how it fits into your vape repertoire.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think the BB isn't a great pairing. I can get a decent vape on the ?0.4 ohm is comes installed with at 45W, but between the battery life and the low volume and high cloud, I'm either always refilling or swapping batteries. TC is not all that useful, but I wasn't expecting much anyway on that front.

I wanted a single battery mod that was small and held a 25 mm tank (my biggest bone to pick on a Pico). It meets those criteria. I'm going to pair it with an Engine, maybe the nano for single coil and a build that only needs ~25-30W. Given the leak resistance of the Engine, and the size of the AL85, it would be the perfect toss in a pocket setup which is pretty much what I had in mind for it anyway.

Reactions: KenD

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy
As a follow up to my earlier post in regards to battery life.....

Batteries used were Samsung 25R 2500mah.

Using the baby alien with the baby beast at 56 watts and setting on "hard", battery ran out at just under 100 puffs. I started getting the low battery notice even though the battery bar showed it down around 1/4. But I did realize I had an older battery in use. The vape did seem to diminish as the battery wore down. For me, using it with the included bb, 2 hours would be the max in that configuration.

I set it to "normal" with a newer, but identical battery and ran an Atlantis and Subtank at 28 to 32 watts and went over 200 puffs on that setup. Vape seemed to diminish considerably once over the 200, so would consider that the max and would provide me a reasonably safe 3 hours use.

All my 3000mah batteries are in married pairs, so not up to breaking a pair up just to test that out. Simple math would indicate roughly a 20% increase in run time, too little for me to make the "sacrifice." I should also mention I had reduced the screen time to 30 seconds and not sure how much difference setting it to 10 seconds would make.

I also liked the idea that a 25mm tank would fit the mod, but it does look a bit "odd" and is a bit top heavy with the larger tanks.

Now that I have made it sound like I do not like the AL85, I do like the little :censored: ! Nice looks and fit, love the fire bar, big screen and nice menu/navigation, and very carry friendly. It's just a matter of how it fits into your vape repertoire.
with a quality 3000 mAh battery you get around the 30% more battery life as the cutoff is @ 3,35-3,45V...
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 09.30.31.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 09.33.42.png

PerfectStranger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
North Coast of Ohio
Quitting the analogs again and grabbed the AL85. Forgot how rough for me the transition from them to vapor was the last time around. I cough a lot on the exhale. It's getting better slowly, I dialed back the watts to 35 on the stock installed coil.

Anyways, quick question about the AL85. Does it have low voltage cutoff or whatever term is used to describe that? Put another way, does it continue to fire when the battery voltage gets too low? I grabbed two LGDAHB6 cells. They can handle the amps but capacity is low. So far I've erred on the side of caution and replaced/recharged probably far sooner than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Can't say I'm glad to be back vaping but I always did enjoy the community here.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Quitting the analogs again and grabbed the AL85. Forgot how rough for me the transition from them to vapor was the last time around. I cough a lot on the exhale. It's getting better slowly, I dialed back the watts to 35 on the stock installed coil.

Anyways, quick question about the AL85. Does it have low voltage cutoff or whatever term is used to describe that? Put another way, does it continue to fire when the battery voltage gets too low? I grabbed two LGDAHB6 cells. They can handle the amps but capacity is low. So far I've erred on the side of caution and replaced/recharged probably far sooner than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Can't say I'm glad to be back vaping but I always did enjoy the community here.
The cutoff is around 3.5v so the battery life certainly isn't the best, particularly at high power.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy

Hi PerfectStranger. Your batteries are supposed to be 30A 1500mAH. They won't last long... :( You'd better get a good pair of 20A 3000mAH (Sony VTC6, Samsung 30Q pink, LG HG2 brown) as the AL85 is power hungry and stops firing around 3,4-3,5V. You will never go over 20A with the wattage the mod can deliver!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, a 30A battery isn't a requirement in this thing. Especially with the BB tank which guzzles juice and power like crazy. Performance is OK, but that tank is too small. I use 25Rs on just about everything, and I can't imagine how fast a 1500mAh battery would drain down.
I put a pair of 1500mah LG HB2's in my G-Priv at 120w and the battery life was almost as laughable as the juice demolition performed by the V10 Cloud Beast coil!

I am only using 25R and HE4's in my dual battery mods moving forward. If I want to build low, I have the HB2's, but they MIGHT last a couple of hours with regular vaping. Terrible battery life. Only useful for low builds IMO.

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
got my AL85 yesterday, mod only, black with the red frame. looks great, feels good in the hand, lightweight but solid, firmware V1.0.7. a little bulkier than the Pico; weight 158,5 g vs. 132 g of the Pico (both with a Sony VTC6). It works OK in wattage mode but I was disappointed by the TC control. Just tried the SS (I vape 95% with SS316L, dual coil 28G, 8 wraps, 2,5mm ID around 0,38 ohm at 200-210°C; fantastic vape on both my TC mods a Pico and a Lost Vape Therion DNA75) preset, that got me crazy because it's just NOT producing any vapor! the factory TCR 0,00115 (the correct value is 0,00092) even if higher than the proper one is NOT heating up the coil neither setting a higher wattage. I had to raise the TCR to 0,00170 and 240°C to have some (inconsistent) vapor. No words. When you vape you feel that the coil is heating up in a sawtooth cycle (up and down), the ohm reading starts raising as normal with SS when heating up but then starts fluctuating up and down (showing every now and then the -temp protected- screen). I didn't find a way to lock the resistance and whats even funnier is that if you vape on wattage mode with a SS coil, the ohms don't change (like if the resistance were locked)!!! Thumbs down Smok. This firmware version sucks. Not to mention that it drains the battery faster than the Pico and stops working at around 3,35-3,40V (used in wattage mode 0,4 ohm coil 30W).
Let's see if there will be an update fixing this issues, in the meantime if you have to get a small mod for SS TC (BTW more efficient in WATT mode as well) that is a tested workhorse you'd better go for a Pico...
Yup.. I have noticed this issue with SS TC aswell. So I now just run in wattage mode only. Hope it will be fixed by firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread