Smok AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    Wifes first al85 didnt last too long. We couldnt get the screen to come on so I took it apart to have a looksee. She managed to hit the trim beside the screen somehow dented it and the screen broke. I managed to break off the down button trying to put it back together, ugh. I have her third one on the way,hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I'm interested in a AL85 as it will fit a 25mm OBS Nano tank, but after reading multiple reviews, especially DJLSB's review, and he is a major SMOK product reviewer if not minor fanboy of that brand, and the NEGATIVE "temperature control" inaccuracies, I've been waiting to see the first firmware update, that "MAY", correct them. I mostly use TC on my DNA mods, so I'll continue to wait and see if Smok gets it right, not sure why they didn't in the first place. Otherwise I'll get another Vaporshark DNA75 Switchbox, 25mm tanks sit fine on that, but they cost 2x as much, though worth it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I'm interested in a AL85 as it will fit a 25mm OBS Nano tank, but after reading multiple reviews, especially DJLSB's review, and he is a major SMOK product reviewer if not minor fanboy of that brand, and the NEGATIVE "temperature control" inaccuracies, I've been waiting to see the first firmware update, that "MAY", correct them. I mostly use TC on my DNA mods, so I'll continue to wait and see if Smok gets it right, not sure why they didn't in the first place. Otherwise I'll get another Vaporshark DNA75 Switchbox, 25mm tanks sit fine on that, but they cost 2x as much, though worth it.

for me it's a 25 mm Pico. TC is on my DNAs. This is a wattage mod for me. But if it were patched up with new firmware, so much the better. I like the size and feel.

AciD_RaiN

Oct 5, 2016

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    You made me look. Yes, it's definitely springy. Not like 5 mm springy, but certainly movable. @bwh79 are you having any tank connection problems, or did you just notice it not feeling springy?
    Well I tested the pin before I even tried connecting anything, but the one 25mm atty I own (basically the whole reason I bought it) doesn't sit flush:

wFhE12wl.jpg

So I mean it makes connection, but it doesn't look all that hot. Also when I first connected it and hit the fire button, it said "don't abuse protects." I unscrewed and reattached the atty and it worked after that, but it makes me wonder if there's something else going on inside.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Well I tested the pin before I even tried connecting anything, but the one 25mm atty I own (basically the whole reason I bought it) doesn't sit flush:

wFhE12wl.jpg

So I mean it makes connection, but it doesn't look all that hot. Also when I first connected it and hit the fire button, it said "don't abuse protects." I unscrewed and reattached the atty and it worked after that, but it makes me wonder if there's something else going on inside.

Well crap. That's way more of a gap than I would find acceptable. Any torque on that tank and something will break. Do you have anything else that does sit flat, or is this universal? I can say that with all my playing around with the mod I've not seen a gap like that with any of my tanks.

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Well crap. That's way more of a gap than I would find acceptable. Any torque on that tank and something will break. Do you have anything else that does sit flat, or is this universal? I can say that with all my playing around with the mod I've not seen a gap like that with any of my tanks.
    I don't wanna mess with it too much. I pressed as hard as I felt comfortable pressing on the pin and when I couldn't make it budge, I put everything back in the box and opened up a ticket with FastTech. The last thing I need is for them to tell me that I've damaged it and they won't replace...

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I don't wanna mess with it too much. I pressed as hard as I felt comfortable pressing on the pin and when I couldn't make it budge, I put everything back in the box and opened up a ticket with FastTech. The last thing I need is for them to tell me that I've damaged it and they won't replace...

Good call. Hopefully they'll resolve it quickly for you as it's otherwise a nice little mod perfect for a 25 mm tank to toss in your pocket.

Reactions: bwh79

Efsev528

May 6, 2017
    The firmware you loaded is for an Alien 220W mod version A, not an AL85. There have been no firmware updates for an AL85 posted. Hopefully someone around here might have some idea of how you might possibly unbrick your mod.

I really hope so. My brother has the same mod as me. If i could only extract the fireware from his and put it on mine. Such a struggle right now.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2017
    Hi Guys,

SMOK have sent me the new fireware for the AL 85 MOD and I have fixed my BRICKED MOD.

Literally took my 2 minutes.
    I cant seem to upload the file on here...
    If you guys want, post your email and I will send it to you.

:) Happy Now.
    Is it the same version that al85 comes with?
    Or is it an updated version?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread