Smok AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookash

Apr 27, 2017
Only once so far, tried now to trigger it again but luckily now it stores settings normally.
85W hit from normally 45W OBS Engine was quite a surprise, lol.
Wouldn't want that to happen with just out of pack coil head though.
Will keep an eye on it now every time I change battery to find out if there's a specific reason for memory flush.
Thanks! It's good to know that it doesn't get worse with 1.0.12. I am considering upgrading as per the instructions on this thread but I still have my doubts - with smok support practically nonexistent I wouldn't want to brick the mod without having any officially released firmware to go back to.
Anyways - I will also keep an eye on the memory storage thing I will let know if I find anything relevant. Cheers

Reactions: Krrk

nonnasonica

Mar 10, 2017
Italy
I've been sending dozens of e-mails to support@smoktech.com complaining that TC was not working with SS316L with no answer. As I expected. :(
I didn't try Titanium nor Nickel200 but I guess that even if working with the proper TCR the power applied to the coil will follow that unbearable sine flow. Up down up down. Hate it.
I will test Titanium 1 ASAP with firmware 1.0.7 just to see what happens and report my experience here.
Sorry but I will not test Ni200 because I don't vape with that alloy.
Can anybody of you who has been running the 1.0.12 firmware update confirm that the SS316L TC control got any better?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences

Reactions: Foggy Road

Wookash

Apr 27, 2017
Here's an instantly working solution with instructions. Credits to Ferdi Tayfur
Download: www dot mediafire dot com/file/jecbe7saiitj3i4/SMOK_AL85_V1.0.12_firmware.rar

Have any of you guys tried this?

I've been sending dozens of e-mails to support@smoktech.com complaining that TC was not working with SS316L with no answer. As I expected. :(
I didn't try Titanium nor Nickel200 but I guess that even if working with the proper TCR the power applied to the coil will follow that unbearable sine flow. Up down up down. Hate it.
I will test Titanium 1 ASAP with firmware 1.0.7 just to see what happens and report my experience here.
Sorry but I will not test Ni200 because I don't vape with that alloy.
Can anybody of you who has been running the 1.0.12 firmware update confirm that the SS316L TC control got any better?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences

I am pretty sure there's a better chance to get a response from an alien life form than from Smok support ;) However, I think I did see someone on this thread saying that 1.0.12 doesn't change much in this aspect.

SteelBlueHeart

Nov 13, 2016
Iberia
I am pretty sure there's a better chance to get a response from an alien life form than from Smok support ;) However, I think I did see someone on this thread saying that 1.0.12 doesn't change much in this aspect.
I can confirm, received mine with 1.0.12 and it's unstable/unusable in TC316, I hate the sensation of wobbling from very hot to very cool I get with it, it's already shelved and hopping the Pico 25 to arrive soon, meanwhile the Primo mini is doing a good job...

janne303

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2014
Sweden
Hey Guys
I can guarantee 100% a 25mm tank fits my AL85!
I have an OBS engine tank on mine and there's no overhang at all.
Cheers.
Me to (or my wife can... hehe)
a956ff4083a0a1264dba60d267c79237.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Reactions: pistacio

Neiledward

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2016
Can I ask on this thread about the attys for the big baby beast. I am using that with my Al85... I've noticed that the 0.4 ohm coil doesn't have a very good life span. Well actually none I've tried seem to (.15 also 3-4 days). Now let's say this coil says 40-80w best 55-65w. Should I still slowly work up a new coil from say 20-25 and on and so forth... Or start at 40...? What my question may be is am I somehow damaging the coil by under powering it...? Thank you ( or send me in the right direction please!)

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Can I ask on this thread about the attys for the big baby beast. I am using that with my Al85... I've noticed that the 0.4 ohm coil doesn't have a very good life span. Well actually none I've tried seem to (.15 also 3-4 days). Now let's say this coil says 40-80w best 55-65w. Should I still slowly work up a new coil from say 20-25 and on and so forth... Or start at 40...? What my question may be is am I somehow damaging the coil by under powering it...? Thank you ( or send me in the right direction please!)

I love the Q2 0.4 ohm coil, a good balance of flavor, some cloud, lower juice consumption, and longer battery life at the 40W I prefer it at. I break in my coil slowly. Wet it and mount it, fill the tank. Wait 10 minutes or so and a few unpowered puffs. I start at 10W. Of course there's no vape, I go up about 3-4W at a time, a minute or so between increases to vape it. I get to 40W pretty fast, and I'm getting weeks (actually a month on my present coil) out of them. HOWEVER, that is juice dependent. A retail heavily sweetened juice will gunk pretty fast. I DIY and use little to no extra sweeteners so YMMV.

Neiledward

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2016
I love the Q2 0.4 ohm coil, a good balance of flavor, some cloud, lower juice consumption, and longer battery life at the 40W I prefer it at. I break in my coil slowly. Wet it and mount it, fill the tank. Wait 10 minutes or so and a few unpowered puffs. I start at 10W. Of course there's no vape, I go up about 3-4W at a time, a minute or so between increases to vape it. I get to 40W pretty fast, and I'm getting weeks (actually a month on my present coil) out of them. HOWEVER, that is juice dependent. A retail heavily sweetened juice will gunk pretty fast. I DIY and use little to no extra sweeteners so YMMV.
I mostly use the q2... I use 100% vg unflavored 0 nic from Nicotine River and occasionally add some Burley Beard 00mg from Velvet Cloud. Also VG. Maybe that's why mine average 4 days I don't know. I usually prime and let sit overnight. Generally start at 18-20 watts and work up by twos until I hang out at 45 for the rest of the life of the coil. I want to get where you are....! I am a pretty heavy vaper.... You?

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I mostly use the q2... I use 100% vg unflavored 0 nic from Nicotine River and occasionally add some Burley Beard 00mg from Velvet Cloud. Also VG. Maybe that's why mine average 4 days I don't know. I usually prime and let sit overnight. Generally start at 18-20 watts and work up by twos until I hang out at 45 for the rest of the life of the coil. I want to get where you are....! I am a pretty heavy vaper.... You?

Eh, 5-7 ml a day of 6 mg. When I played with the octacoil 0.15 ohm whatever coil, I went through it faster. I don't find the Q2 all that thirsty. The tanks that kill me for that are my Pharaoh RTA (amazing how much you can go through even with the stock single deck) and my Limitless+. Then I can blow through 10 or 15 ml without even noticing. The Al85 with the BBB is primarily my daytime work vape, which means I'm chain vaping intermittently and rotate to something else when at home. I still must be running through 2 or 3 ml a day on that coil which isn't a lot, but it is more than an occasional puff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread