SMOK Alien 220 VB* Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
1.2.11 is the latest (and looks to be the final) firmware. I wouldn't recommend upgrading though. My alien worked better with the 1.2.1 firmware, whereas 1.2.2 and 1.2.11 are both worse. A shame that I can't find the original firmware anywhere :-/

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Good point. The guys in this thread are hinting at the same thing with the updates.
http://..................com/threads/new-smok-alien-firmware-v1-2-11-available.301394/

V1.3.2 is here. Have you tried it? It says it only works with version A (which I have).
NuMicro ISP Programming Tool for Alien V1.3.2 (Not for AL85)--SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

NOTICE

1. You have to take out the battery before upgrading

2. You have to hold the fire button all the time during the upgrading

3.This firmware is only for V1.X.X version Alien mod.

Upgrade your Alien in VB version by:NuMicro ISP Programming Tool for Alien VB1.0.3 (Not for AL85)--SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

There are A and B two versions of Alien220 mod with the same function as for its improvement of MCU. Edition A will display V1.x.x (newest is V1.3.2) when powered on, while edition B will display VB1.x.x (newest is VB1.0.2). Please make sure the device version and download the corresponding version before firmware upgrading, for A and B version is totally different and cannot be employed universally.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
1.3.2 is the programming tool, not the firmware. Unfortunately I don't believe there's gonna be any new firmwares beyond 1.2.11 :-/

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
1.3.2 is the programming tool, not the firmware. Unfortunately I don't believe there's gonna be any new firmwares beyond 1.2.11 :-/

They could make the process much simpler. Obviously, the upgrade process is run by Smok people who don't understand the need for bulletproof simplicity for the customer.

I used to have to upgrade firmware sometimes before installing application software and hardware updates on the equipment in my territory. It's a good thing I had internal tech support numbers. Those guys had the hardware and software engineers down the hall and could call them in for a conference call with me if I had issues. I'd get to run it past the guys who developed the hardware and software on the phone at the same time. Most of it was Solaris OS and internal apps created by engineering types.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenD

tejas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
East Texas

It's the new firmware...the programming tool is V1.44.
New Smok Alien Firmware Released | Smokstore Blog

ETA: I came across this thread, researching TC on the Alien 220w. TC was not working. The mod could be set to 300º, 350°, 400°F (any temp basically), hit the fire button, and the display would read 77°, but I guarantee it was closer to 500°. It was HOT!
I just updated the mod to V1.3.2, and TC is now working. :)

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

ETA: I came across this thread, researching TC on the Alien 220w. TC was not working. The mod could be set to 300º, 350°, 400°F (any temp basically), hit the fire button, and the display would read 77°, but I guarantee it was closer to 500°. It was HOT!

Well, Ill be damned. I never thought they would really fix it. I just got done with the update from 1.0.3 (I think) and all of a sudden TC is working! Able to dial in with 2 different tanks with 316L coils to 50W 450F with a TCR of 92 and lo and behold TC is working. Not terrific, but way better than before and good enough I that would use it. Now if they could just do this for the AL85, which is my common pocket carry.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Indeed! Colour me surprised! I installed the new firmware and it does indeed seem to work a lot better, though I increased the tcr to 0.00095 (ss316l coil in an Obs Engine Nano). Will try do a dry cotton test when I have time. Thanks!

Reactions: Eskie

I'ma vapist

Jun 17, 2015
Kingston
Well... I tried the vb1.0.3 update as instructed and everything went quite smoothly (excellent tutorial) but then I got the screen flash then shut down and screen flash when off problem. I tried the upgrade 4-5 more times with no luck, I then tried the "plug it back in" and the "uncheck security lock" suggestions, they also had no effect. The last attempt turned the screen into what resembled a QRcode symbol but did return to normal and the upgrade completed successfully but the screen flash, shut down and screen flash while off still exists. I did notice when it's off and I hold the fire button down the screen will not flash. Back to my eVic 75w AIO.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yeah, 0.00092 seems anemic. Since the default setting was 0.00105, I split the difference, and set it to 0.00098. Better, but more tweaking may be necessary.
I finally decided to leave the tcr at 0.00105. Seems to work best for me there.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Indeed! Colour me surprised! I installed the new firmware and it does indeed seem to work a lot better, though I increased the tcr to 0.00095 (ss316l coil in an Obs Engine Nano). Will try do a dry cotton test when I have time. Thanks!

I finally got the Alien firmware update to continue. It was looking for the file "config.bin" and wouldn't let me select the Alien v.1.3.2.hex file. I exited and re-opened the software and all went well. TC is better, although it won't let me go below 15W. It's still more like what it should be, though. It's vapable now without all the crackling and spitting that was present before.

I'd still like for it to let me go down to my normal 10W TC level. I can, however, go to 350F and it's like I want it. I'll have to agree that it's fixed and TC mode works well enough for my needs even though it flashes "temp protected" every couple of seconds during a vape. The TC vape is flavorful and quiet with no spitting.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It's strange. When I go to the Smokstor site and start the upgrade, the 1.3.2 firmware upgrade tool is looking for code.bin, not the Alien V1.3.2.hex file that's there.
You have to set the file type to "hex" or "all". That's been a flaw in the update programme from the start.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You have to set the file type to "hex" or "all". That's been a flaw in the update programme from the start.

Yup. Just because they can fix one issue shouldn't mean they can fix them all. It's a lot of work renaming a file.;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The first time I clicked on the binary file I wanted to use it wouldn't change the file in the dialog box. Once I backed out of it and tried again, it did. Go figure. Default was config.bin. I'd click on the BIN file and nothing happened until I closed it all down and started over using the instruction sheet. Go figure ... Windows 10 is great, but not without its quirks!

I managed to do it in Windows and Unix and Solaris and all the various board updates in my job. There were frequent firmware updates on all the equipment I serviced. Retrofitting and upgrades were just part of the job description.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

I'ma vapist

Jun 17, 2015
Kingston
Well... I tried the vb1.0.3 update as instructed and everything went quite smoothly (excellent tutorial) but then I got the screen flash then shut down and screen flash when off problem. I tried the upgrade 4-5 more times with no luck, I then tried the "plug it back in" and the "uncheck security lock" suggestions, they also had no effect. The last attempt turned the screen into what resembled a QRcode symbol but did return to normal and the upgrade completed successfully but the screen flash, shut down and screen flash while off still exists. I did notice when it's off and I hold the fire button down the screen will not flash. Back to my eVic 75w AIO.
Update. I originally tried to reinstall vb1.0.2 but kept getting "no such usb device" so that's when I tried the vb1.0.3 update here. On a whim I thought since the vb1.0.3 update tool worked I would use it to downgrade to the vb1.0.2, that worked but even with vb1.0.2 version re-installed I still have the screen flash/shut down problem.

houssem

Sep 29, 2017
Holy crap what a PITA it was to upgrade from VB 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. Even the fixes needed fixes so I am compiling my notes (sourced from all over) here for posterity reasons and maybe save someone the headaches of the firmware upgrade that I just endured.

If you have not attempted upgraded from 1.0.2 then proceed here below. I will edit this later with screen shots and more instructions later. This is only for the VB version of the Alien!!!

1: Download 1.0.3 from HERE

2: Disregard SMOK's instructions as they are WRONG!!!!

3: Unzip the firmware to a location you can find

4: Open up NuvoISP.exe

5: Make sure USB is selected and select Continue

6: Disconnect any atomizer

7: Remove the batteries

8: Make sure the USB cable is plugged into your computer but not the Alien yet

9: Find a big rubber band, hair tie or zip tie and lock the fire button down

10: Select the Connect in ISP

11: Now plug the USB cable into the Alien, it should connect

12: Select ERASE ALL and only ERASE ALL and select the Start button. You should get a confirmation it was OK

13: Select the Setting button

14: Configure the Chip Options to this and then select OK
8dOL8RW.jpg

15: Select the APROM button and navigate to the 1.0.3 firmware located in the same folder as ISP. VIVI-98_FOR_NANO120_VB1.0.3_20170323.bin

16: Now select under Programming APROM & CONFIG and make sure these are the only two selections made.

17: Select START and wait for the Successful prompt.

18: Select Disconnect

19: Unplug the USB cable from the Alien

20: I'm sure you can figure out the rest from here.........

Like I said, I will come back and edit this with screen shots, links and more...... just needed to get the procedure down before I forgot about it and passed out. Most of this came from 1 forum thread outside of here and 3 separate Reddit posts so I am compiling the working procedure in a very simple to find and follow format for us ECF folks. I spent almost 3 hours messing with this crap to get my mod back functional again.

houssem

Sep 29, 2017
I did the VB1.0.3 firmware update and now I get smok vg1.0.3 flashing on and off on the screen once the screen timeout happens. To use the MOD again I have to 5 clicks to start the MOD and then select new or old resistance everytime. If I turn the MOD off it just randomly flashes up the smok vg1.0.3 logo every 5 seconds or so, it doesn't actually shut the MOD totally down to complete off.
what did you do to fix it i have the samez pro brob

randomry

Jan 30, 2018
Hope someone can help me with this, tried all the above but my config 0 is stuck on 0xFFF7FF7C or 0xFFF7FF7E (if security lock unchecked) how do i get it back to what it is supposed to be? 0xEFF7FF7C? please tried reflashing VB 1.0.2 etc , nothing i have tried has changed that value?. mod is dead won't power on nothing on screen but obviously computer and ISP tool V2.00 detects it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread