SMOK ALIEN- BATTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarnes1980

Dec 8, 2016
Currently running the baby beast T8 (.15ohm) coil on the smok Alien. The highest I vape this normally is about 60W. The amp reading on the device will move around from 19.98 to 20.8 or so. I have been using the LG HG2's in it and also Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery in the device. Considering both are 20A cont. and 35 peak is there any issues running these types of batteries in this mod at these settings. Prefer not to potentially blow off my fingers.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Currently running the baby beast T8 (.15ohm) coil on the Smok Alien. The highest I vape this normally is about 60W. The amp reading on the device will move around from 19.98 to 20.8 or so. I have been using the LG HG2's in it and also Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery in the device. Considering both are 20A cont. and 35 peak is there any issues running these types of batteries in this mod at these settings. Prefer not to potentially blow off my fingers.
The amp reading on most mods gives the amps at the atomizer, which is different from the amp draw at the battery and mostly useless information. The proper calculation is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (about 2.9 with the Alien, but two batteries in series so 5.8) = amps (per battery)

The resistance doesn't factor into the amp draw of a regulated device at all.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I was told that with the lg's to not go over 120 watts... You are perfectly fine! :D

Hope you are enjoying your Alien, I'm loving mine!! :w00t::w00t:
That's 120w with two (20 amp) batteries though, 60w per battery. And the Alien has a lower cutoff than most mods, so 105w to stay within the cdr of the batteries.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Currently running the baby beast T8 (.15ohm) coil on the Smok Alien. The highest I vape this normally is about 60W. The amp reading on the device will move around from 19.98 to 20.8 or so. I have been using the LG HG2's in it and also Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery in the device. Considering both are 20A cont. and 35 peak is there any issues running these types of batteries in this mod at these settings. Prefer not to potentially blow off my fingers.

The peak current rating is nonsense. Go with the 20 amp cdr for the LG. And with those Efests you can't know what's under the wrapper. It might be a 20 amp battery, or it might be a ten amp battery. In the latter case you shouldn't exceed 50w in order to stay within the cdr of the batteries.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    That's 120w with two (20 amp) batteries though, 60w per battery. And the Alien has a lower cutoff than most mods, so 105w to stay within the cdr of the batteries.

Cool, thank you! I'm not planning on going that high anyway until I can get some of those Samsung's (the 25r's I think, gotta check the Mooch graph again). :thumbs::thumbs:

rbarnes1980

Dec 8, 2016
    The amp reading on most mods gives the amps at the atomizer, which is different from the amp draw at the battery and mostly useless information. The proper calculation is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / cutoff voltage (about 2.9 with the Alien, but two batteries in series so 5.8) = amps (per battery)

The resistance doesn't factor into the amp draw of a regulated device at all.

Thanks for the info. So basically 66watts/5.8=11.38 AMPs.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2013
    AR, USA
    www.myretrolounge.com
    I believe most of the responses indicate the usage mentioned for the various battery types are within tolerances... I do get somewhat concerned when reading threads like this though. Pushing these batteries regularly to their upper discharge limits is risky business even under proper usage by a knowledgeable user. Given the variance in quality even for authentic batteries I generally advise folks to stay comfortably away from the ceiling...

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I believe most of the responses indicate the usage mentioned for the various battery types are within tolerances... I do get somewhat concerned when reading threads like this though. Pushing these batteries regularly to their upper discharge limits is risky business even under proper usage by a knowledgeable user. Given the variance in quality even for authentic batteries I generally advise folks to stay comfortably away from the ceiling...

Which is why my single battery mods usually rated for 75W (with 18650s) never go over 40W, and my 3 battery 200W mods, well, never go over 75W not out of safety concern, but none of my attys need anything higher. I would be comfortable using them at 150W if I needed to, and do use 100-125W on a 1 second preheat for my larger mass coils even though I drop it back down just so I have a faster ramp up time. The 2 battery Alien is a great mod and I use it frequently but I still wouldn't take it above ~130W. That's just me. Then again, I'm not a 200W vaper, so its immaterial. I do like the longer run times for multi-battery mods.

Psofos

ECF Veteran
    Apr 20, 2015
    Greece
    You are right to be concerened and cautious,but an authentic 20A battery means that it can be completely discharged from full to empty with a single press for minutes and never reach dangerous temps.
    Calculating always with the cutoff voltage in mind and never exceeding 20A is very safe imo since for 90% of the time you will be below 20A this way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread