Smok alien started smoking on coffee table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
Before I would recycle or condemn the batteries I would check them first for standing voltage after this incident and then status after a full charge. Just because the device smoked doesn't mean the batteries were stressed in any way. It could have been e-liquid intrusion or contamination that caused the MOD to short out and did not draw more that minimal voltage from them. Just my opinion and how I would go about deciding on the proper course of action.
I ripped them out the mod fairly quick and they were very cool to the touch, if only I knew how to test them.

Reactions: stols001

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I saw a post like yours last night and googled "Alien mods catching fire" and "Alien mod fried" and saw SO many horror stories. It is scary really. One shop owner did say that he suspected that the batteries were the problem. Even LG HG2s can be counterfeit, so always buy batteries from a reputable source. I have no idea if that is the problem but think you are right to go with a new mod. I love my Battlestar.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The Battlestar is an excellent mod, it's my only mod I use each and every day. They are very well built and perform excellent in all modes. I highly recommend one. Having said that I think you hear more bad stuff about smok mods just because they sell a .... load more of them so the complaints with naturally be higher.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
The Battlestar is an excellent mod, it's my only mod I use each and every day. They are very well built and perform excellent in all modes. I highly recommend one. Having said that I think you hear more bad stuff about smok mods just because they sell a .... load more of them so the complaints with naturally be higher.

I love the Battlestar but since I got the Asmodus Minikin V2, it has not been out of my hand. I love, love, love this mod. People say it doesn't handle TC or TCR well at all. I plan to test that out once I build some coils for my beautiful purple FireLuke tank in SS.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Let us know how that turns out Pam, LOL, I love, love, love your Minikin V2 as well.... If it's all good news, I might get one. :)

Anna

I promise to do that very soon. I spent my hobby time today on learning to put coils into the RBA deck of my new gold FireLuke. Double coil build so it took me a little time to get it right.

As for that Minikin V2, even if TC or TCR don't work out well for me, I love this mod so much I am going to get another one once I figure out which color to buy. It is my favorite. My poor Steampunks and my poor Battlestar feel neglected I am sure.
;)

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I have 8 mods set up and just switch out their use. 2 are just for testing my DIY juices (Beacon and soon to arrive Eleaf Dual). 1 is my pocket friendly work mod (Pico). 1 is my daily driver (Battlestar) The rest (2 Charons, a Captain, and a 2nd Battlestar) are set up with my favorite flavors in RDTAs for whatever I am in the mood for. I have it all at the ready in a small deco crate on my desk. I figure by changing around, my mods should last longer. I treated myself after massive mod failure that started with my Aliens and ended with my IPV5s. Now I won't be buying anything new for a while and I have some older Subtanks and TFV4s I will be getting rid of since I have gone all to RTAs and RDAs.
Hmmm... I may have a problem, but then some women collect shoes... and purses

lolhahaha

Aug 9, 2012
San Diego
Tonight my less than 2 month old smok t priv fell off a table less than 2 feet and landed on thick carpet and when it landed the battery door opened. So I closed the door and it wouldn't turn on but after about 10 seconds of trying to turn it on I noticed that it was getting hotter than when I use it so I took out the batteries.

The batteries are fine but this thing is dead no matter what batteries I put in it but if I plug in a charger it displays some battery charging info and still won't turn on.

It has been years since I bought anything from Smok but the dude in the store I went to one day said that they are "a lot better now" so I took a chance.

I know for sure to avoid their garbage from now on. My almost 2 year old lost vape mod is still kicking and is used 10x more than any others I own so I'll stick with those.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I wouldn't be so radical in trashing SMOK vape gear. I have been using SMOK mods since the M80 and I only had one failure, the 510 of one R80. I see they use good quality components and the their mod design respect the difference between absolute maximum rating and operating maximum rating, whereas some other manufacturers sells the former for the latter.
I heard from some friends operating vape shops they dropped the Aliens because of excessive returns. What happened is that Aliens become the standard mod to operate the TFV8 (not the Baby) at 180 - 200 W continuously and on daily basis, only limited by the supply of e-liquid.
The Aliens are built not worse, nor better, than any other Chinese mod. But the statistic is at work, where a specific model of mod is widely operated close to its maximum specs; the failure are more diffuse. Any other similar mod of any other brand would follow the same fate.
My 2 cents.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I wouldn't be so radical in trashing SMOK vape gear. I have been using SMOK mods since the M80 and I only had one failure, the 510 of one R80. I see they use good quality components and the their mod design respect the difference between absolute maximum rating and operating maximum rating, whereas some other manufacturers sells the former for the latter.
I heard from some friends operating vape shops they dropped the Aliens because of excessive returns. What happened is that Aliens become the standard mod to operate the TFV8 (not the Baby) at 180 - 200 W continuously and on daily basis, only limited by the supply of e-liquid.
The Aliens are built not worse, nor better, than any other Chinese mod. But the statistic is at work, where a specific model of mod is widely operated close to its maximum specs; the failure are more diffuse. Any other similar mod of any other brand would follow the same fate.
My 2 cents.

I have no doubt that you are 100% correct. Smok is probably the most widely available brand in every vape shop in America, maybe the world, IDK. The Alien kit is what every shop sells to every new customer who walks through the door knowing nothing at all about mods, tanks, or vaping. It makes a lot of sense that we hear about more problems with Smok products than we do about any other brand simply because there are so many of them out there, many in the hands of beginners. The failure rate, percentage-wise, is likely in line with pretty much every brand on the market.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
All the larger manufacturers of "consumer" vape gear have had, or are having, issues with QC resulting in a higher fail rate. Sometimes, it's one company, then a year later they're great, and vice versa. I have an Alien and an AL85. They're both nice mods. My finish has held up. But I also don't push them to run crazy high wattage all day, even with batteries that can supply the current to the board.

Still, I wouldn't recommend them for temp control to anyone as they both suck at that. I will admit that if my mod started smoking and melting sitting on the coffee table I'd sure lose faith in that mod brand and not accept a replacement for it unless it came with a Class D fire extinguisher. I understand there may be tens of thousands of others that are fine, but I would use that one experience to ban that brand from my home, never mind my pocket. It might not be valid based on data, but that's where emotion takes over.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
My 1st and only problems with Smok devices are with 2 Aliens that were less than 6 months old when the cheap case started coming apart on both and then the board failed on one of them. I never ran them at crazy wattages and never dropped them, as well as they were in rotation with 3 other mods, so not used excessively. I have a couple of other Smok devices that are still going strong. I just feel that the quality of the Aliens is sub par and that puts me off of Smok devices. I fear that FDA deeming may have caused companies to rush a lot of products to market before they were quite ready. I don't know if that is the problem with the Aliens or not, but I have other mods that have held up much longer than 6 months, so I will not be buying Smok mods anytime soon.

• Useful

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
It is refreshing to see I am not the only one willing to defend Smok products with some common sense. While there are clearly some legitimate complaints/problems, so many negative posts turn out to be user error or due to other components used with the Smok mod or tank. And how many of those threads contain the original complaint and then we never hear follow-up from that poster again?

Then, what really irks me are the posters that never used a Smok product or didn't like the one and only they tried not only pronounce they will never buy a Smok product, but "save others" by jumping in every chance they get to tell them they should never consider anything by Smok. That gives them even more ammunition to "base their opinion" on "all those negative Smok posts!"

I get the "I'll never buy another" mentality, been there and done that myself. But name any brand/product that has never had a defect or complaint. I'm just not sure what I would have left in my life if I eliminated anything/everything anybody had a negative opinion of.

We all want to buy our products as cheap a possible. Looks like we got what we wanted!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Smok alien started smoking on coffee table

Did you tell it to go outside, no smoking in the house?

I jest.

Seriously just my 2 cents but I would have checked the batteries with a meter and as long as they were still reading 3+ volts I would recharge them and if they charged back to proper max, I would have kept them. If they had been discharged too low I would have for sure tossed them.

Also I have seen the same thing happen to an IPV4 just a few days ago (maybe a week) so this is not something unique to SMOK. What a lot of people don't understand is that in regulated mods the boards are always pulling power even when off. (How else would it know you pressed the button 5x to turn it back on?) I think what is happening is the circuit that handles the on/off/lock functionality just wears down and eventually shorts out causing everything to heat up/burn internally.

While I personally have never used a SMOK mod, I have used the SMOK ARO's and the SMOK TFV4 (rba head) nearly exclusively since I started vaping 5 years ago and never had any issues with their toppers at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread