Smok alien tc problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm using .7 and .8 SS coils in wattage mode on my Alien 220W with no issues. My main issue with the Alien is that wattage starts at 15W in TC mode. That's too hot for a Kayfun V2 or any other MTL tank.

Why they used 6W to 220W in power mode and 15W to 220W in TC mode is beyond me. The ad copy of the specs just listed 6W to 220W. Nothing was revealed about the 15W minimum in TC.

My Pico 200W range is 1W to 200W in power and TC modes. It couldn't be that difficult for Smok to match the modes in wattage. What were they thinking?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm using .7 and .8 SS coils in wattage mode on my Alien 220W with no issues. My main issue with the Alien is that wattage starts at 15W in TC mode. That's too hot for a Kayfun V2 or any other MTL tank.

Why they used 6W to 220W in power mode and 15W to 220W in TC mode is beyond me. The ad copy of the specs just listed 6W to 220W. Nothing was revealed about the 15W minimum in TC.

My Pico 200W range is 1W to 200W in power and TC modes. It couldn't be that difficult for Smok to match the modes in wattage. What were they thinking?
15 watts is to hot for a kayfun v2 or any rta? That doesn't sound right, maybe the mod is off or something

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
15 watts is to hot for a kayfun v2 or any rta? That doesn't sound right, maybe the mod is off or something

I don't vape over 12W with with any mod. I usually have a .7 ohm SS316L spaced and compressed coil. I just make sure all the coils are not touching each other by holding it up to a light and twisting it back and forth.

All my other TC mods love that coil and perform as advertised. The Alien is noted for having a poorly implemented TC mode. Most of the reviews say just use it in power mode. For wattage, it's great.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I don't vape over 12W with with any mod. I usually have a .7 ohm SS316L spaced and compressed coil. I just make sure all the coils are not touching each other by holding it up to a light and twisting it back and forth.

All my other TC mods love that coil and perform as advertised. The Alien is noted for having a poorly implemented TC mode. Most of the reviews say just use it in power mode. For wattage, it's great.
I guess everyone interprets heat differently, I vape all my rebuildable rta's well over 15 and use to vape my kfl close to 20 and never thought it was hot. So you just like the battery life on that mod? Just seems like to much mod if your only vaping 12 watts

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Yeah, just use the Alien and AL85 in wattage only. TC is too painful to justify the issue. As firmware updates have been of no help I'd just call it as a don't bother if TC is important for the mod to do.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah, just use the Alien and AL85 in wattage only. TC is too painful to justify the issue. As firmware updates have been of no help I'd just call it as a don't bother if TC is important for the mod to do.

It may be OK if you vape at higher wattage in TC, but the reviews I've read on the Alien reflect my own opinions. It's a great wattage mod, but TC is poorly implemented. I just use it at 10W most of the time and drop it to 8W for a while if I have a fresh wick breaking in.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I guess everyone interprets heat differently, I vape all my rebuildable rta's well over 15 and use to vape my kfl close to 20 and never thought it was hot. So you just like the battery life on that mod? Just seems like to much mod if your only vaping 12 watts

You may be vaping high VG juice in a KFL mod in DTL mode. Kayfun doesn't have the air flow to cool a 20W vape in MTL mode, IMO. I like moderately warm MTL vaping. I didn't care for hot smoke from a cigarette, either.

I vape my Kayfun LPV2 at 400F in TC mode and at 10W it rarely gets to 360F at 10W. You are probably right in saying that we may all interpret warmth differently.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You may be vaping high VG juice in a KFL mod in DTL mode. Kayfun doesn't have the air flow to cool a 20W vape in MTL mode, IMO. I like moderately warm MTL vaping. I didn't care for hot smoke from a cigarette, either.

I vape my Kayfun LPV2 at 400F in TC mode and at 10W it rarely gets to 360F at 10W. You are probably right in saying that we may all interpret warmth differently.
Although I don't vape the kfl's anymore (moved to the km3 ) but when I did, 15 to 18 watts mtl, 70 to 60 vg, about 1 ohm and loved it..vaped that set up for years with mostly rayon and it worked flawless. Yes it wasn't a cool vape, but that's how I like it, and a very intense TH....never had dry hit issues which imo is all in the wicking....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Although I don't vape the kfl's anymore (moved to the km3 ) but when I did, 15 to 18 watts mtl, 70 to 60 vg, about 1 ohm and loved it..vaped that set up for years with mostly rayon and it worked flawless. Yes it wasn't a cool vape, but that's how I like it, and a very intense TH....never had dry hit issues which imo is all in the wicking....

My vaping 60% and 70% PG mix is probably the reason that I don't care for higher wattage in MTL style. Throat hit soars at higher wattage levels in that mix range. I like it mild with an exhale that looks like a light cig. I'll do 12 watts sometimes. At 15 watts the vape starts to get a little harsh. Past that point it's too warm for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is an excellent point, CC. Seems that a lot of the sub0hm setups have TC drop in coils, though not every single one of them, and I did kind of wonder why smok doesn't.

To be fair, I don't own that mod, but it was kind of comforting that when I actually bought the steampunk Tesla 120 nano "starter kit" it came with an RTDA topper, the arrow. Seemed likely that they were expecting users who purchased it to be rebuilding right away, LOL. :)

I vaped the Arrow briefly, it was not to my MTL tastes, so I was able to give it away, but I've found the steampunk does TC pretty well (as best as I can tell, I mean, it seems to just... work, when given the correct parameters on the right coil, I'm not testing the temp or anything....)

I have a silver one I just might break out of the box if I can get my Vandy Vape Beserker to work well without leaking, it seems just as reasonable as buying another mod just now, as long as I can get it not leaking all over the place, and etc.... I am protective towards my steampunks, LOL.
Anna

Reactions: Eskie

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
One clue that Smok mods don't do temperature control well: The company doesn't make any TC capable coils for their flagship line of tanks.

Sure can't argue against that point!

I have no idea what percent of vapers regularly use TC and what percentage of those only do so building. But I do believe all mod makers must include TC in their features and there surely are some vapers that find that feature useful in whatever mod they use. I currently have 8 mods that do TC, but only the DNA 200 does it what I consider well.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This week is my experiment week with TC. So far, so good, with three Pico's doing TC. One with a 0.2 Nickel coil; two with 0.5 SS316 coils.

I suspect Smok will wrap their brains around TC sooner or later. I love the Baby Beast coils for higher wattage performance. I can only imagine how good they'll be with SS316 and a mod that gets TC.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This week is my experiment week with TC. So far, so good, with three Pico's doing TC. One with a 0.2 Nickel coil; two with 0.5 SS316 coils.

I suspect Smok will wrap their brains around TC sooner or later. I love the Baby Beast coils for higher wattage performance. I can only imagine how good they'll be with SS316 and a mod that gets TC.

The Smok Alien 220w would be fine after firmware V1.3.2 if the wattage adjustment is in the range you need. For tootle puffers it's probably going to be a wattage device just because it doesn't allow wattage to go lower than 15W. I use .6 to .9 ohm coils, but my Kayfun doesn't have the airflow to support higher watts. At 15 watts it's way too warm for my taste and that's so for many others who vape MTL atomizers. I've vaped at 12W on various devices and I always end up going back to 10W.

If they'd match the voltage range to the power mode voltage range there would be few people complaining. My Pico 200W Dual goes from 1 to 200 watts in power and TC modes. Smok could design that into a firmware release or at least drop the minimum in TC mode to 6W level. The power mode already goes to 6W.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
My vaping 60% and 70% PG mix is probably the reason that I don't care for higher wattage in MTL style. Throat hit soars at higher wattage levels in that mix range. I like it mild with an exhale that looks like a light cig. I'll do 12 watts sometimes. At 15 watts the vape starts to get a little harsh. Past that point it's too warm for me.
That is a little high in pg , so know what you mean.. I have one juice at 50/50 and I can feel the difference, but I'm a throat hit junky, so it's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread