Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well thats it, after several emails to smok I've heard nothing....so bye bye smok, am returning my alien as faulty, just ordered a lost vape THERION DNA166 coming on Saturday, made in the uk so support will be much better hopefully :)

The Therion is a great mod. But just to clarify, it's not made in the UK, it's a Chinese product as well, using a DNA board, which is a US product and does have great customer support in the US. Not sure how LV and Evolv handle things in the UK. Regardless, it's a great mod.

I am also having the same trouble.
I guess I made the update in a wrong way, I didn't hold the fire button. When I finished updating, device freezed as it writes 'updatting'. Yes it was "updatting", I did not misspelled :D.

It freezed like 15 20 mins. Than died totally :(
It was my second day with this device.
I recommend everybody for not to update those devices.

Now when I plug it to pc, a sound comes up like I disconnected a device.
When I try to connect with update tool, It says "No Such Usb Device".
Damn, I wish we all can repair by ourselves. Cuz If I send it to headquarters to get it repaired, I won't be able to get it back because these devices are not allowed in my country...

I am not disagreeing with your crappy firmware update experience, and think it's pretty bad, but it does not necessarily apply to all users. I received a v1.2.1 in mid October and upgraded straight to 1.2.2 with no problems and with good TC performance with 316L after inputting the correct TCR. As these problems are not universal, it's hard to know where the issue lies.

BadblooD

Jan 9, 2017
For people that update tool wont recognize the alien mod is because the, update tool is OUTDATE since the new batch's from alien came with new chip and the same tool (v1.4.4) wont recognize the new one... To test i download the last update tool (v2.0) directly from nuvoton and from my surprise it work...

In attacment i have printscreen from the differences of the two versions of the update tool...
I havent update mod since the info in the "config 1" is different from the smok tutorial...
We need to wait from smok to update their update tool xD... So to finnish there a huge probability that your mod's that came with VB1.0.x firmware are not "damage" at all and they are not clone...

Ps.: by the way soz for my english... hehehehe

Attachments

• alien.jpg
    alien.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 659
Reactions: BlackCRX

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
I just tried to connect my Smok Alien using the Nuvoton V2 program and it does not detect the mod. Nuvoton V1.4.4 does detect the mod correctly tho.

That said... I have a feeling we will not be seeing anymore firmware updates for these devices anymore. Simply because they are now using two different chips for the same mod and it will be hard for them to push 2 different firmware out and have ppl smart enough to figure out which firmware they need. I hope I am wrong and they still push out new firmware to fix the intermittent SS TC problem tho.

BadblooD

Jan 9, 2017
I just tried to connect my Smok Alien using the Nuvoton V2 program and it does not detect the mod. Nuvoton V1.4.4 does detect the mod correctly tho.

That said... I have a feeling we will not be seeing anymore firmware updates for these devices anymore. Simply because they are now using two different chips for the same mod and it will be hard for them to push 2 different firmware out and have ppl smart enough to figure out which firmware they need. I hope I am wrong and they still push out new firmware to fix the intermittent SS TC problem tho.

Hummm that strange... Since the changelog saying that the v2 from nuvotron came with all chips info updated, by logic the v2 software will have to detect your mod....
I haven't update the mod from vb1.0.4 to 1.2.2 since I don't know if the 1.2.2 will support the "new" chip...

BadblooD

Jan 9, 2017
Hummm... Bought it today... So I don't know if there are something "broken".... The only issue( if we can call that issue) is the ohm reader on 0.3 ohm coil, the reading is between 0.25 to 0.27 ohm, so there little gaap... The battery's reading is not uniform... I'm need more time to do full exhaust test, to see if this mod can handle how they say(reviewers) it can...

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
It might have been user error for v2 not to detect my device. But all I did was open V1.4.4, remove my batteries, hold the fire button, plug USB, shows connected. Unplugged the USB, closed previous app, opened v2, hold fire button, nothing happened, clicked on connect, gave me the "waiting for device" and nothing happened. With the cable still plugged and fire button still pressed, I closed v2 and opened V1.4.4 and it connected right away.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

OK, maybe I missed something, but I did try reading back a bit. Where is this 2 different chip thing coming from? I can't find anything to tell me this mod is released with 2 different control chips. Could someone provide a link or something that documents it? I can't find it.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
OK, maybe I missed something, but I did try reading back a bit. Where is this 2 different chip thing coming from? I can't find anything to tell me this mod is released with 2 different control chips. Could someone provide a link or something that documents it? I can't find it.
I do not have any solid proof or documentation that there is 2 different chips being used. But I have seen/read that a few ppl have been having issues connecting to Nuvoton V1.4.4 as well as ppl reporting that some devices have firmware 1.2.8
There was also a couple of ppl mentioning that Smok changed chipsets but nothing concrete or from Smok

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I do not have any solid proof or documentation that there is 2 different chips being used. But I have seen/read that a few ppl have been having issues connecting to Nuvoton V1.4.4 as well as ppl reporting that some devices have firmware 1.2.8
There was also a couple of ppl mentioning that Smok changed chipsets but nothing concrete or from Smok

Oh, I've seen folks posting all sorts of different firmware versions which don't match what a lot of other folks have running. I was unaware some versions of the updating/"ISPprogramming tool" thing Smok supplied were different as well. I'm not saying it's impossible that Smok did not use different chips, but I would be quite surprised they would do so and complicate their firmware management. The only scenario I could picture would be a chip shortage and using a different variation that was available over what may have been on back order or something.

I hope Smok gets it sorted out soon for the folks having problems, as it's a great mod when functioning properly.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
Oh, I've seen folks posting all sorts of different firmware versions which don't match what a lot of other folks have running. I was unaware some versions of the updating/"ISPprogramming tool" thing Smok supplied were different as well. I'm not saying it's impossible that Smok did not use different chips, but I would be quite surprised they would do so and complicate their firmware management. The only scenario I could picture would be a chip shortage and using a different variation that was available over what may have been on back order or something.

I hope Smok gets it sorted out soon for the folks having problems, as it's a great mod when functioning properly.

I also recall a while back when I was looking for my own Alien mod that one China reseller stated that it was on backorder due to chip shortage or problems.
I didn't think anything of it because it was only on that one China based site.

Again, I could be totally wrong and I hope I am because I would love to get a new update for my Alien. As of right now it works great on single coil above 0.5ohm but when I run dual coils under 0.5ohms I occasionally get a pause mid fire. I have emailed Smok and they replied to me asking for more details. I provided my findings to them and never heard back.

With that said, my Alien is currently married to my Kayfun v5 while all my dual coil tanks are sitting on DNA and Joyetech devices.

BadblooD

Jan 9, 2017

This is from reddit user
There've been a few threads about this lately and this is what I've found after doing some digging.

I have two Smok Alien mods and each have a different model chip. My first one came with v1.2.1 and I was able to update it using v1.44 of their ISP software. My new one was never able to be detected by v1.44 so I downloaded v2.00 and was able to connect. I found that the "Part no" listed was different. v1.44 does not support the new part (chip) shown in my new Smok Alien mod with vb1.0.2

Smok Alien with v1.2.2 Chip: NUC220LE3AN NuMicro ISP v1.44 works

Smok Alien with vb1.0.2 Chip: Nano120LE3BN NuMicro ISP v2.00 works

As of now we cannot upgrade anything running vb1.0.2 since it requires a new firmware from Smok. Hopefully they should issue something soon. I've also noticed that the firmware is indeed a little different. when asking if I installed a new coil, vb1.0.2 actually shows the resistance of the old and new coil on the screen.

As a side note, I contacted Smok to get the firmware for vb1.0.2 specifically since I need to restore my new mod. Hoping they address this new hardware soon.

Source
w w w.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/5mw5kk/new_smok_alien_revision_with_different_chip/

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If Smok did that, they sure complicated stuff for users and themselves. That means 2 separate firmware updates on the same mod, and assuring the user understands which version they need. Which means there has to be some way for the user to identify the chip. I guess you could set up some sort of about in the menu that would give you the firmware and chip version, but it will likely confuse many users. Including me.

Does anyone know if there are functionality differences between the potentially two different chips?

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
If Smok did that, they sure complicated stuff for users and themselves. That means 2 separate firmware updates on the same mod, and assuring the user understands which version they need. Which means there has to be some way for the user to identify the chip. I guess you could set up some sort of about in the menu that would give you the firmware and chip version, but it will likely confuse many users. Including me.

Does anyone know if there are functionality differences between the potentially two different chips?
It really isn't that hard to differentiate to two. If your firmware on power up is Vxx use this one, if your firmware is VBxx use this one. But there will always be someone out there that can't read and complain about it.

But at the same time, this is one of the reason why I think Smok will not be releasing any new firmware updates. Especially since now they seem to be pushing their Priv line products.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

It does indeed sound strange. Even if a different chip was used they should be similar enough for the same firmware to work. Doesn't seem very cost effective to design a device requiring different firmwares so it's very unlikely that Smok has done that. Perhaps fakes or preproduction models?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It does indeed sound strange. Even if a different chip was used they should be similar enough for the same firmware to work. Doesn't seem very cost effective to design a device requiring different firmwares so it's very unlikely that Smok has done that. Perhaps fakes or preproduction models?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

I agree its strange, but I don't think they're fakes as no one has reported any issues on authentication, and it seems there are a fair number of these out there making preproduction unlikely. Why run off so many?

It might be a sourcing issue with the chips having the same functionality, but slightly different firmware requirements. Why I don't know. It is certainly a pain as this appears to be a pretty popular mod and selling well, and who wants to maintain multiple firmware versions and hope the end user chooses the correct file for their particular model? That's just a setup for taking a hit on customer service at a time they've really improved their reputation after some earlier problematic mods.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
I just got a chance to fully read the reddit thread. I truly feel bad for the guys that bricked their new devices.

I think this will be my last Smok device to be honest. I had the Koopor mini a while back which advertised "upgrade able firmware" and loved the design and size. Bought it and only to find out that you need to buy/make a custom cable to upgrade the firmware. Not a big deal since I love electronics and building .... (built a few OKL and Raptor mods back in the day) but I would classify this as false advertising in general. For the general public or average users they would never be able to upgrade their devices unless you sent it to a Smok/Kooper dealer... and shipping cost and return would cost about half of what the device is worth.

When the Alien popped up and the ISP tool I figured Smok had learned and changed their ways... I guess I was wrong.

To change chipsets and firmware levels without documentation or advising the public/customers is wrong. Especially in this case when so many ppl have bricked their brand new devices and the lack of support from Smok. The least you can do is publicly release the stock VB firmware so ppl can unbrick and use their new toys.

I have emailed Smok also before regarding the possibility of getting the original V1.2.1 firmware and was left hanging.

I hope Smok resolves this issue fast or they will be losing a lot of customers in the future. Especially when Joyetech mods are so competitively priced and you can run custom firmware on it that is a million better than the stock Joyetech firmware (stock firmware is still good, but I'm the type of guy that likes to tinker with stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread