Smok alien wont connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Please supply some documentation for this statement.
It's on their own website. Version "A" and version "B." Version B has a new MCU (microcontroller unit) inside.

Now, they don't say "version A is faulty" but of course they wouldn't do that anyway. But ask yourself WHY they decided to switch MCU's on these devices if version A wasn't in some way lacking?

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
@Cheallaigh yeah I knew about that as soon as it was released I am following that thread but I wanted some documentation backing up what the @BigEgo posted. Where did he get the information he posted? Read it on the Internet again????

72d679c6f38797c8247aa0392ca4b21d.jpg

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
They didn't release two versions. Version A is apparently faulty so they changed out one piece of hardware on the board. Instead of recalling version A, they just said screw it and released version B with the newer hardware. This is typical of China, but it is what it is.

So what you are saying is you are assuming it because the website says nothing about a defective component. Ever hear about shortages of stock or changes in manufacturing due to improvements or just simply a better price for components?

Last edited:

Skunkle88

Feb 17, 2017
there's two different versions of the alien 220... A when updated is v1.2.2 and B which is VB1.0.2, B doesn't need any updating currently.

Thank you! I just got the device today and I'm on VB1.0.2. Thanks to this post (assuming it's correct) I know my firmware is good and up-to-date.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Chaz Mancini

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah thats what others have mentioned, so may stick to this firmware for now, but not happy with the thought of never been able to upgrade firmware, as im sure that will get sorted in the next version. So still looking for a solution, but not heard a word back from smok yet.
I'm having the exact same issue. I was told that a update will be available soon.

Blind Vaper

Mar 26, 2017
I had the issue with a B version I bought this afternoon. I upgraded it with the v2 software sucessfully, but it still shows 1.0.2 at startup and seems to be weaker than my previous updated version A (I knocked that one and the screen quit working).

So even though the upgrade claims to have been successful, it doesn't appear to have done much. I guess I just go with it and see how things go.

Beau Tie

Apr 2, 2017
DFW, Texas
It's on their own website. Version "A" and version "B." Version B has a new MCU (microcontroller unit) inside.

Now, they don't say "version A is faulty" but of course they wouldn't do that anyway. But ask yourself WHY they decided to switch MCU's on these devices if version A wasn't in some way lacking?

I just signed up here. Got into vaping 30 days ago after smoking for 32 years :( Have not had a cig since my first vape.

I had the same problem with the Alien 220. I tried every cable in the house (I am an old time engineer and computer jockey) and nothing worked. Today my Alien Baby (AL85) arrived which I bought on a whim and thought "what the hell" so I tried the CABLE that came with the AL85 and BANG! It connected instantly. Clicked on the firmware to update and it went ....zip and done. I do have the VB firmware (operating system) and it is now at VB1.0.3. Took less than 1 minute but my hand still hurts from holding the damn fire button down. So in essence - when they say "THE FACTORY CABLE" they are NOT kidding!!

HTH

Reactions: Eskie

pearce31

Apr 12, 2017
hi i dont know what to do my alien wont power on its dead. i think i have version A because i believe it said v1.2.1 when it powered up. i tried upgrading it in the past and the version firmware i put on it is vb1.0.2 because no matter what i do the alien wont connect to the version A programming tool it will only connect to version B tool. which is why i installed vb1.0.2 firmware. it worked fine as long as i sort of jump start it everytime i chang batteries by plugging usb to a power source with batteries in then slipping batteries half way out then the screen lights up. then i slip batteries back in quick close it and the screen lights up so i unplug the usb then its on and working again just cant turn it off. but today i tried the jump starting when i changed to my charged batteries and nothing its just dead. now i erased the firmware off the mod and flased vb1.0.3 and still just dead. then i erased then flashed vb1.0.2 and still just dead. as i said version A firmware tool wont connect at all to the alien.

anyone else having experiences like this or have any suggestions id love to hear it.
most likely be taking a trip to the shop i got it from.
thanks

Beau Tie

Apr 2, 2017
DFW, Texas
hi i dont know what to do my alien wont power on its dead. i think i have version A because i believe it said v1.2.1 when it powered up. i tried upgrading it in the past and the version firmware i put on it is vb1.0.2 because no matter what i do the alien wont connect to the version A programming tool it will only connect to version B tool. which is why i installed vb1.0.2 firmware. it worked fine as long as i sort of jump start it everytime i chang batteries by plugging usb to a power source with batteries in then slipping batteries half way out then the screen lights up. then i slip batteries back in quick close it and the screen lights up so i unplug the usb then its on and working again just cant turn it off. but today i tried the jump starting when i changed to my charged batteries and nothing its just dead. now i erased the firmware off the mod and flased vb1.0.3 and still just dead. then i erased then flashed vb1.0.2 and still just dead. as i said version A firmware tool wont connect at all to the alien.

anyone else having experiences like this or have any suggestions id love to hear it.
most likely be taking a trip to the shop i got it from.
thanks

I do not have the computer I used in front of me but I do remember that I had to download the newer version of software to connect. If you actually had the mod running with VB installed, then it is probably a VB. How old is it? I bought mine 2 months ago and it was a VB version. I remember that when I flashed it I chose the file I needed (there is really only one update program, you just chose the correct firmware i think) and then followed the check boxes on the SMOK website. I checked The flash, config, erase all at the same time and made sure that the watchdog was unchecked. I wish I could be more help but i am not in front of that computer right now. If you can get it to connect try again with config/data/erase all checked.

pearce31

Apr 12, 2017
I do not have the computer I used in front of me but I do remember that I had to download the newer version of software to connect. If you actually had the mod running with VB installed, then it is probably a VB. How old is it? I bought mine 2 months ago and it was a VB version. I remember that when I flashed it I chose the file I needed (there is really only one update program, you just chose the correct firmware i think) and then followed the check boxes on the SMOK website. I checked The flash, config, erase all at the same time and made sure that the watchdog was unchecked. I wish I could be more help but i am not in front of that computer right now. If you can get it to connect try again with config/data/erase all checked.
Thanks, but just went out and bought the ijoy maxo holds 4 batteries. Wont be swapping batteries too much anymore. Only had the alien 3 months and the shop I got it from wouldnt give me a new one. The best they could do was give me 20 percent off a new kit. Wont be going there anymore ....... I'm going to send it to smok and get it repaired since it's still covered by them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread