Smok M80 bursts of power burning coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeNjO

Oct 1, 2014
Selby, UK
Hi guys,

I hope this is the right area, I went ahead and bought the M80 plus to power my atlantis V2, Apart from the not so good TC it worked great but I ran out of my 90vg juice so threw my Sub Tank mini on there with a 0.5 (red insulator) head and every so often it seem the M80 throw out huge power to the coil and it instantly burns it out. I normally use it on my P3 (with 1ohm heads) but decided to use the M80 with the lower ohm coil that came with the tank (have 2 mini's, normal and a plus) It seems to do it every 20 or so presses of the "fire" button but when I NEED it to happen it won't do it so not sure how to explain this to the shop I bought it from. Didnt notice this happening at 70+ watts with the V2 0.3 coils but seems to do it quite often with the subtank and it feels like it's throwing out a huge power surge and instantly drying the coil (tastes like its a fresh dry coil been used at high temps) and it instantly makes me choke and tear up as its not expected. Thus im having to use my P3 with a 0.5 coil (its reading it at 0.7 so luckily it runs).

I Though it was just the white insulator heads that the P3 HATES with a passion. Two whole boxes of OHM's below limit or reduce power now heads but the Red insulators work just fine.

Would love to figure out why this is happening so I can possibly take the M80 back as its burnt way too many coils for my liking and expected a better product that all my tanks can sit on and be vaped.

(Wattage mode, 20-30 watts and it happens randomly)

Edit:

Just put the Sub Tank on at 30 watts, press the button 40 times slowly (not taking it in) and not a single "surge", but dare not Vape it as it will happen and mess me up for ages. Haven't used it for 2 days because of this, but I can guarantee it happens when you don't expect it to and I like lung hits and before you can react its already on it was down to my lungs.

juice is 50/50 Cosmic Charlies - Orange Bl'awesome

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
A power "surge" on a VW mod (or setting) is usually due to a poor connection somewhere. Since you've set the mod to deliver a specific wattage, if it sees the resistance go up, it raises the voltage to deliver that wattage.

Check that the head is snug in the tank base. Check cleanliness of all connections. Don't overtighten the topper to the mod, as that can crush insulators, but make sure it's making a good contact.

It might be, too, if a Subtank and not a mini, that the spring loaded pin on it is not well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread