SMOK T-Priv Unknown Error Message - "High Input"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
This error appears even when the tank is off, has nothing to do with the batteries all sets tested work with another mod. Tested it with batteries that do not have a full charge just in case at the vape store. They told me they had no clue and the board was fried.

This error started showing up after my tank leaked again and I clean the mod with a wet towel. I thought it was water in the mod. After this happened I dissembled the entire mod and found juice and been collecting in different areas in the case.

I cleaned the entire mod with Alcohol and q-tips let it dry. When I fired it up with out a tank I got the standard Missing Tank error. The coil registered the proper setting again once the tank was placed back on the mod, forward/up button stop ghosting it's way up to 220 watts, and the back button started working again.

I used the mod for about 10 minutes then the High Input error message appeared again. The only good news is that I learned a lot about taking a mod a part and putting back together again.

Thank you for any help or clues!

Reactions: stols001

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Sounds like something, somewhere in the circuitry is somehow either having contact issues (solder points, detent button for like the plus and minus buttons, loosened wire) that could take hours of taking a multi-meter and going circuit to circuit, chip and diodes to other chips and diodes on the board. Could have also some juice seeped into a sealed resistor diode or one of the chips. Could even be one of the battery sled contacts or wires shorting to a circuit lane that can't handle the volts from the raw batteries. The juice soaked layers you cleaned out certainly didn't help the issue, SMOK makes some good tanks, but when it comes to their mods I don't trust them, they either burn out way to quick or they are lemons right off the bat with some quality control issues.

As it stands, if you are not good or comfortable working with an electronic Control Board, a multi-meter and soldering iron, you are probably better off ahead getting a new mod.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Sounds like something, somewhere in the circuitry is somehow either having contact issues (solder points, detent button for like the plus and minus buttons, loosened wire) that could take hours of taking a multi-meter and going circuit to circuit, chip and diodes to other chips and diodes on the board. Could have also some juice seeped into a sealed resistor diode or one of the chips. Could even be one of the battery sled contacts or wires shorting to a circuit lane that can't handle the volts from the raw batteries. The juice soaked layers you cleaned out certainly didn't help the issue, SMOK makes some good tanks, but when it comes to their mods I don't trust them, they either burn out way to quick or they are lemons right off the bat with some quality control issues.

As it stands, if you are not good or comfortable working with an electronic Control Board, a multi-meter and soldering iron, you are probably better off ahead getting a new mod.

I am comfortable doing all tasks, but I want to know what this message means before I spend hours guessing. I am assuming that some part related to power control has gone bad, regulator since the mod did / does work for a short time before failure.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a Smok G-Priv and the High Input error message is saying the resistance it reads from the tank is to High. Since you used the mod for 10 min before it was to high I wonder why that happened. Lots of questions I have, looks like you are in wattage mode so we don't have to worry about the wire material. If you have something that can measure resistance what is the resistance before you start and the end resistance when it is to high. Take notes and as much info as possible. If you have extra time and aren't worried about it clean it again. Home alcohol contains a lot of water
a paint thinner would be better.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
I have a Smok G-Priv and the High Input error message is saying the resistance it reads from the tank is to High. Since you used the mod for 10 min before it was to high I wonder why that happened. Lots of questions I have, looks like you are in wattage mode so we don't have to worry about the wire material. If you have something that can measure resistance what is the resistance before you start and the end resistance when it is to high. Take notes and as much info as possible. If you have extra time and aren't worried about it clean it again. Home alcohol contains a lot of water
a paint thinner would be better.

Thanks for the advice I might try it next time I do the rebuild. I used Isopropyl 91% to clean it worked fine. Right now Mod works after taking the batteries out of it for a short time then the High Input error comes back. When it works it works as well as it ever has.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you have a sort of workable solution, which is great.... Until it stops working (hopefully it won't). Do you have plans to maybe take your mod to the mod hospital, ahem, I mean perhaps a good vape store if there is one near you, to get it looked at? Is it still warrantyable or even reparable, at the least? I just would be concerned about what might be happening between your batteries and mod and stuff, but I will freely admit that I can catastrophize a bit, I just think when it comes to electronics and battery stuff (especially with THESE) you just cannot catastrophize enough.

I get it though, when I was an uniformed dual user I rarely used "best practice" with my mods, but then I learned more....

Anna

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Yah think you have a circuit problem why wouldn't you change mod? Try something else :)

I got a V8 Stick to hold me over and as I just wrote by taking the batteries out I can get the T-Priv to work for a short time. I have decided on getting the Vapessro Revenger X coming November 1 or wait til November and expect a price drop on the previous Revenger depending on the reviews of the touch screen.

I am going to avoid all SMOK products for this next purchase. I like the NRG tank design, coil design, and want the latest tech regarding board, touch screen if it works well, the other thing during the research is that the tank can use my SMOK coils I have as spare.

I am just starting my 6th week of vaping so I do like it alot and it is helping me quit smoking. The biggest downside so far is the mess, also it easier to carry a pack a smokes and a lighter then juice, and mod.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
I'm glad you have a sort of workable solution, which is great.... Until it stops working (hopefully it won't). Do you have plans to maybe take your mod to the mod hospital, ahem, I mean perhaps a good vape store if there is one near you, to get it looked at? Is it still warrantyable or even reparable, at the least? I just would be concerned about what might be happening between your batteries and mod and stuff, but I will freely admit that I can catastrophize a bit, I just think when it comes to electronics and battery stuff (especially with THESE) you just cannot catastrophize enough.

I get it though, when I was an uniformed dual user I rarely used "best practice" with my mods, but then I learned more....

Anna

I am sure I could get it fixed I have tons of shops around me or try to fix it myself. Paying someone to fix a 65-80$ device seems to be a waste of time and money. Right now I am having fun taking it a part to learn about how they are designed and work which is worth more then price of the mod. As I stated in the previous post I got a V8 Stick to be more mobile then a bigger device and it will hold me over if the T-Priv dies. The new mod is coming out in a few weeks.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Did you contact the vendor to see if they'll support any kind of warranty service or exchange? 6 weeks may be borderline with vendors, but you don't know until ask.

No, but I have some reasons:

Vendor sold me knock off LG batteries when I bought the mod also ran into someone else that had the same troubles. I double checked if the T-Priv mod was real, it is. I wrote up a Google review of the store to warn folks.

I am never going back to that store or buying anything from them again. This store would never honor any sort of vendor responsibility they wouldn't even test the "batteries" in front of me to see if they were real.

This wasn't just my experience I ran into another customer at another vape shop talking about the same trouble with the vape store that sold me the mod.

I took a part the mod 2x to clean it and learn how it worked which I knew would violate the warranty.

Where I bought the mod is 65 miles away from where I live. It is near my folks house, and is in an area / city where they are still allowed to sell flavored juices, so taking a trip which would take a few hours for is not worth it for me.

Current Errors:
  1. High Input
  2. Missing line in the screen, right in the center so anything on that line is not drawn.
  3. Battery indicator is only working on the right battery the left stays full.
  4. Wrong coil readings.
  5. Once the High Input error starts happening sometimes it will recover and let me vape other times it will lock me out, I have to pull the batteries out by opening the door and then turning on the mod again. Then it might work for 6 hours with no troubles.
Also have a V8 Stick if T-Priv dies so I am good until the new mod I am looking to buy comes out next month.

• Informative
Reactions: Eskie

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
No, but I have some reasons:

Vendor sold me knock off LG batteries when I bought the mod also ran into someone else that had the same troubles. I double checked if the T-Priv mod was real, it is. I wrote up a Google review of the store to warn folks.

I am never going back to that store or buying anything from them again. This store would never honor any sort of vendor responsibility they wouldn't even test the "batteries" in front of me to see if they were real.

This wasn't just my experience I ran into another customer at another vape shop talking about the same trouble with the vape store that sold me the mod.

I took a part the mod 2x to clean it and learn how it worked which I knew would violate the warranty.

Where I bought the mod is 65 miles away from where I live. It is near my folks house, and is in an area / city where they are still allowed to sell flavored juices, so taking a trip which would take a few hours for is not worth it for me.

Current Errors:
  1. High Input
  2. Missing line in the screen, right in the center so anything on that line is not drawn.
  3. Battery indicator is only working on the right battery the left stays full.
  4. Wrong coil readings.
  5. Once the High Input error starts happening sometimes it will recover and let me vape other times it will lock me out, I have to pull the batteries out by opening the door and then turning on the mod again. Then it might work for 6 hours with no troubles.
Also have a V8 Stick if T-Priv dies so I am good until the new mod I am looking to buy comes out next month.

All or majority of those listed symptoms are sounding like juice damage to the electronics, especially #2, 3, and 4 being combined together is damage to the OLED screen, OLED screen controller, signal between the batteries, main CPU, and the OLED control board (for the battery readings), add #1 and 5 sinks the problem even further to juice damage. I have many, many mods and devices, out of all of them I have only had like 5 out of about 70 devices fail either due to age (3 older devices with internal batteries that finally gave up), and 2 still function but some buttons are worn out. I have, majority of my devices are 2+ years old, some clocking in at 4 years old, never one has failed me due to end user complacency, remove a tank atomizer, clean the connections, see a tank or atomizer leaking, fix the dang leaking issue right there, never letting juice pool or sit long enough to seep into the internals of the device. Electronics + Liquid = failure on any electronic device, take care of your gear better, if a tank or atomizer refuses to quit leaking after troubleshooting the problem, get a new tank or atomizer that does not.

Also, review thoroughly an item before buying anything, phones, mods, computers, cars, everything just about, do a search on all the issues revolving around SMOK mod problems in the past 24months, you'll see why I refuse to buy a SMOK mod, and their more recent mods have a seriously bad trend of issues.

But yes, at this moment any warranty is null and void even before you began opening them up, but opening them up is a definite warranty nullifier.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
All or majority of those listed symptoms are sounding like juice damage to the electronics, especially #2, 3, and 4 being combined together is damage to the OLED screen, OLED screen controller, signal between the batteries, main CPU, and the OLED control board (for the battery readings), add #1 and 5 sinks the problem even further to juice damage. I have many, many mods and devices, out of all of them I have only had like 5 out of about 70 devices fail either due to age (3 older devices with internal batteries that finally gave up), and 2 still function but some buttons are worn out. I have, majority of my devices are 2+ years old, some clocking in at 4 years old, never one has failed me due to end user complacency, remove a tank atomizer, clean the connections, see a tank or atomizer leaking, fix the dang leaking issue right there, never letting juice pool or sit long enough to seep into the internals of the device. Electronics + Liquid = failure on any electronic device, take care of your gear better, if a tank or atomizer refuses to quit leaking after troubleshooting the problem, get a new tank or atomizer that does not.

Also, review thoroughly an item before buying anything, phones, mods, computers, cars, everything just about, do a search on all the issues revolving around SMOK mod problems in the past 24months, you'll see why I refuse to buy a SMOK mod, and their more recent mods have a seriously bad trend of issues.

But yes, at this moment any warranty is null and void even before you began opening them up, but opening them up is a definite warranty nullifier.

I agree with your points. It was leaking juice over and over. My lack of understanding about how to replace coils and not screw up the tank caused it all.

I only blame myself not SMOK for the mod dying so quickly. I learned a lot from the good vape shop on how they prep tanks, and fix them if they are leaking.

In fact I thought all the times I cleaned it caused the issue, as the reviewers pointed out safety features in the mod that are suppose to prevent leakage causing damage to the electronics.

I didn't realize juice had leaked into the mod until it died or gave me the High Input message (still nobody even SMOK can tell me what it means) and I found the juice collecting inside it. Any use of the mod at this point is all bonus even a vape shop said it was dead never to return.

All good with me my method of learning is to push the boundaries to get a wide view then do a deep dive on specifics that interest me until I get a complete high resolution picture of everything to do with the problems I am trying to solve.

My learning is this area has been fun for me. I enjoy vaping and the experiment to use a vape mod to curb my smoking has been effective thus far.

The tech has a long way to go but has come a long way in a short time.

I can see a future now where:

1. A coil / tank being leak proof.
  2. Auto detection the type of juice put into it making the proper adjustments to burn it perfectly.
  3. Auto temp / watts based on draw tank pressure, juice level.
  4. All attempts to help the user get a perfect hit 100% of the time.
  5. Tanks that electronically pump to keep the wick saturated.
  6. New methods of generating exact flavor you want.

Last edited:
  • Creative

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've been vaping for about 2 years, my original vaporizers were a Kanger top box mini and the Eleaf Pico. Both are advertised to be capable of using SS temp mode. I've been able to use them in nickel temp mode but they never have been able to work with SS temp mode. My first RBA would always leak after filling till I learned it had to be turned upside down when putting the cap back on.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I agree that leaking juice in the mod damaged the board. Vaporesso has the Veco line of tanks that are top airflow, you may want to try some of the newer top airflow tanks so you don't have the mess. Smok has the Baby Beast X and then if you want to start rebuilding, the OBS Nano is a great single coil tank to start on. I buy everything online and avoid the high prices at B&Ms. I have got a couple of Mods over the years that had problems within the 1st 30 days and the Online vendors cheerfully replaced them, although I had to pay shipping return to one of them, the other sent me a label. Still cheaper online.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread