Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemton

Sep 13, 2015
Oversaturated wicks, or not enough power can cause popping and spitting too.

so from the looks of how i wicked above does it look oversaturated? because as of now if im vaping at higher watts (30-50 ) it pops even more, funny thing is that it pops when i first fire it, after that it doesnt.

at 55 i hear alot of gurgling noise which im assuming its too hot..

at 30 i get a loud pop and then it doesnt do it anymore.. but if i stop for awhile and fire again it happens again

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Im getting two weeks out of my quads, first two quads i noticed the top half portion is charred... Maybe because sometimes i vape it till almost empty then i fill it, so next two coils i make sure my juice level was never below the highest wicking hole, still two weeks per coil, my juice is clear and not that sweet... And i vape at 50w, chain vaping

How are u guys getting 4 weeks ?

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Running mine anywhere from 75-95w depending on my mood, I got one week out of my triple, and one week out of my quad, before both started making my juice taste like socks. The coils inside look a little dark but nothing looks crusty like its making it taste. Is this something common for OCCAM wick in these coils? I wick with rayon and never get a falloff in flavor from the wicking. I will be building the RBA tonight probably with a fused clapton and some rayon, and waiting for the new RBA section to drop online to buy it.

ETA:
I also DIY all my own juice.

jemton

Sep 13, 2015
That definitely sounds like over saturation.
How are your vents set up?

what do u mean vents?

It is definitely more saturated than mine, though I can neither confirm or deny if your saturation level constitutes oversaturation. If it were me, I might trim off a bit of wick from the top.

is there a measurement to cut my wicks?

xenxenogear

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
I just received mine. Since I have a 30W device the included coils except for the single coil 0.8 ohmer are not useable to me, so I stuck a wick in the 0.8 ohm and installed it. Surprisingly no leaks so far. I have such terrible luck with leaks (I've only owned 1 RTA before this - Orchid V6 clone) so I was surprised. Flavor is also much better than the Orchid. I don't see much point in the air flow control on the drip tip but shrug, it can be closed so no biggie.

Firing at 6.2 watts with 50/50 24mg juice so far. Might experiment with a bit more wattage as time goes on and the wick is properly saturated.

EDIT: I also noticed that Q-tips will easily fit right down the drip tip down to the coil with ease without having to tear off some of the tip first. Great for cleaning moisture.

Last edited:

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Tried to build on the RBA last night. No success. First build was a single 4 wrap fused clapton 26/34n80. Had a hell of a time trapping the leads, but I knew I would. Wicked it with rayon, and trimmed the wick similar to how I do my wife's subtank mini (sitting on the deck, away from the juice channel). Dryhits. Pulled the build and threw in a 24ga SS316L 6 wrap spaced. Wicked rayon using same subtank method. Dryhits.

In conclusion, I am seeing the pattern in the wicking method. What is everyone else having success with? On the deck, in the channels, thick, thin, etc?

Reactions: qdaddy96

LarryYo

Unresolved Status
Feb 26, 2015
Bell California
I havent tried it, and to be honest, I dont think I will. Maybe Ill Slowtech it one day, but the single deck works amazingly well.
My main concers for the dual deck is that there is no way to increase airflow, and with 2 coils (and the wicking to go along with it)hogging up that air, Im skeptical that it will restrict airflow and if they are large at all (I prefer 2-3mm coils) the air wont be evenly distributed across the coils causing a drop in flavor and vapor production.

The single RBA chucks as much vapor as I was getting out of plume veils and mutation X that were my primary decks before the TFV.
Not to mention single coils almost always produce better flavor anyway.
I have been using the RBA portion for a week now and have had no problems with it I would still like the option to throw in my go to build inside the dual coil portion. It is really for shiz and giggles. I am skeptical about the airflow as well. Im sure if the coil is built in the center it wouldn't cause many problems. I was also thinking about ordering off slowtech lol.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Just a heads-up for those that don't know. It appears the mini is packaged with the original kit coils + the RBA head and a Clapton coil. So in my eyes, you're basically paying $15 for the tank itself if you wanted the $10 Clapton RBA head and to try the pre-build Clapton. Not too shabby.
How did u get this info

taylord22

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
IL
How did u get this info
http://www.vaportekusa.com/smok-tfv4-mini-kit/

• 1x TFV4 mini tank
• 1x TF-CLP2 Core (0.35Ω)
• 1x TF-S6 Core (0.4Ω)
• 1x TF-RCA Core
• 1x Replacement Glass Tube
• 1x Black Seal Gasket A
• 1x Black Seal Gasket B
• 2x Replacement Seal Gaskets for Top Cap
• 1x Small Airflow Tip
• 1x Black Vape Band
• 1x White Vape Band
• 2x Replacement O-rings for Drip Tip
• 1x Refill Warning Card
• 1x Screwdriver
• 1x Package of Organic Cotton
• 1x Replacement Seal Ring for Glass Tube
• 1x Replacement Wire

Reactions: tweaker30

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Trying out the nickel coil on the TFV4 before trying the triple or quad. It is still breaking it but dayumn it is a juice guzzler. That said, it is taking a substantial amount of power to get it up to 440 degrees. It can actually take 100 watts for a split second and then goes down to about 45-50 to stay at temperature.

How long do these coils take to break in? I'm turning down the power because the flavor isn't there yet and just wanted to see what type of power the nickel coil could take. All I know is that my IPV4's 50 joules wasn't doing the job very well.

Edit: looks like the mini gets some nicer coil choices, or at least the clapton and sextuple would be my choices (caveat: have yet to try the triple or quad so I may end up taking that statement back). That said, I'm seeing that max juice capacity is a must for this thing.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
Trying out the nickel coil on the TFV4 before trying the triple or quad. It is still breaking it but dayumn it is a juice guzzler. That said, it is taking a substantial amount of power to get it up to 440 degrees. It can actually take 100 watts for a split second and then goes down to about 45-50 to stay at temperature.

How long do these coils take to break in? I'm turning down the power because the flavor isn't there yet and just wanted to see what type of power the nickel coil could take. All I know is that my IPV4's 50 joules wasn't doing the job very well.

Edit: looks like the mini gets some nicer coil choices, or at least the clapton and sextuple would be my choices (caveat: have yet to try the triple or quad so I may end up taking that statement back). That said, I'm seeing that max juice capacity is a must for this thing.

the coils work in both tanks. all the ones for the full will work in the mini and the ones from the mini will work in the full.

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
the coils work in both tanks. all the ones for the full will work in the mini and the ones from the mini will work in the full.

Gotcha! I was just saying for "with the box" equipment those are the coils I would have preferred. Very happy with the tank so far though. Hoping the flavor begins to get a bit better. The vapor production is already on point after a tank and a half on the nickel coil.

Also: should I be closing the bottom air flow control ring when I top fill the tank? Thanks

Reactions: pbanj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread