Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudOFsmoke

Sep 15, 2015
I don't get why people say to close the airflow as the chimney is still wide open.
With only the top open, you would still maintain pressure. By having a second point open, perticularly at the bottom, there is a much greatter potential to loose vacuum and dump juice out the bottom. Its not always going to happen, but it has the potential. Ive had mine dump maybe 2 or 3 times out of the 100 or so times Ive filled it. I think it has just as much to do with the wicking as it does the AFC though.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
With only the top open, you would still maintain pressure. By having a second point open, perticularly at the bottom, there is a much greatter potential to loose vacuum and dump juice out the bottom. Its not always going to happen, but it has the potential. Ive had mine dump maybe 2 or 3 times out of the 100 or so times Ive filled it. I think it has just as much to do with the wicking as it does the AFC though.
My stm has a topfill tank on it, I can't close the airflow off when I fill it. It has never once dumped the juice out. The vacuum is in the tank, so the vacuum is gone the moment the tank is opened. The only thing the closed airflow would do is provide some push back as the juice is going in(think trying to put water in a bottle with nowhere for the air to go). The fact the chimney is wide open means the air has a place to go so there is no counter pressure. If the topfill hole is too small or there is not 2 then when u put juice in the tank the air has no place to go so it pushes out through the coil. But since the air is on top the juice gets pushed out and that's why it leaks.

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
The dual deck really needs a dual post setup (the deck cap is certainly tall enough). I can barely trap two 0.5 mm Ti leads under one screw (I do not offset the coils). That and a lip around the airflow holes. Rewicked with rayon (one full rayon coil per #6-32 wrapped Ti coil) and the tank started leaking. Went thick, thin, top angle trimmed, top untrimmed, with tails and without. The dual deck is really finicky about wicking. Nearly 30 mL of juice wasted so far. I'm going to try a micro tail (about five strands) directly into the juice channels next...

As an aside, just rewicked a Subtank with rayon. Cut flush to deck, angle trimmed the tops. No leaks.

CWS1974

Oct 1, 2015
I've had this tank for 3 weeks. The triple coil lasted me about a week. So far the quad coil is still going strong. By far the easiest way to vape. The only time the oring on the bottom gave me any issues was the initial use. No issues changing the coil. The quad produces a lot of flavor at 75-80 watts. Bump it on up and you have flavor and lots of clouds. Awesome product!

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I think I finally figured out the wicking on the single deck RBA.

Pancake wick with just a little bit sticking into each juice channel.

After losing two tanks to leaking, and one to weaker hits, I'm getting the best vape of my life.

26g nickel, 9 wraps spaced. Awesome!

Just afraid to pocket it. Don't have that much confidence yet.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I think I finally figured out the wicking on the single deck RBA.

Pancake wick with just a little bit sticking into each juice channel.

After losing two tanks to leaking, and one to weaker hits, I'm getting the best vape of my life.

26g nickel, 9 wraps spaced. Awesome!

Just afraid to pocket it. Don't have that much confidence yet.
Thanks, I'll be trying this tonight. My current build is wicked similar to kayfun style, but lots on the deck and a little in the channel. using rayon, barely thinned out, and i get a dry hit if i take one too long or chain vape without much time between puffs. I was about ready to give up on this tank.

I understand pancake wicking, but do you have any pictures how it came out?

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Thanks, I'll be trying this tonight. My current build is wicked similar to kayfun style, but lots on the deck and a little in the channel. using rayon, barely thinned out, and i get a dry hit if i take one too long or chain vape without much time between puffs. I was about ready to give up on this tank.

I understand pancake wicking, but do you have any pictures how it came out?

Man... I'm afraid to open it up; I just got it working. Plus, it's a pain in the .... with this tank. Basically pancake or butterfly (depending on your perspective)the wick out. Then take the bottom bit and push it into the juice channel. Most of the wick is just sitting above the juice channel, but there is a little nub that drops into it. I think the little bit of wick in the channel holds it all down then the rest of the wick actually prevents the juice from coming out when it's saturated.

If I have a chance, I'll take a pic, though.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Gah! This single coil RBA head kind of sucks if you want to trap the leads under the screw heads instead of through the stupid lemo style post holes. Trying to trap twisted 28g was a no go. Guess I'll have to try a single strand.
I was able to trap a 24ga/34ga clapton in the holes, maybe try there? it was too big for the screws as well, but it was just the right size to slide in the side.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I was able to trap a 24ga/34ga clapton in the holes, maybe try there? it was too big for the screws as well, but it was just the right size to slide in the side.
Yeah, it would have fit through there, but I don't want to use those. I'm trying to keep the legs short, I was trying to install a coil to use with temp limiting/control.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I've rewicked twice tonight. Once I was the pancake wick with no success. I think I cut it too short. Ripped it out and put in another wick like my first one but with more wick in the juice channel and thinned it out a bit up top. So far so good. I've never had leaking issues, just dry hits.

On another note, has anyone figured out how to get rid of the damn whistling this thing makes when the airflow is choked down? I don't like massive airflow it causes too cool of a vape for me so it's hard to find a happy medium lol.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I've rewicked twice tonight. Once I was the pancake wick with no success. I think I cut it too short. Ripped it out and put in another wick like my first one but with more wick in the juice channel and thinned it out a bit up top. So far so good. I've never had leaking issues, just dry hits.

On another note, has anyone figured out how to get rid of the damn whistling this thing makes when the airflow is choked down? I don't like massive airflow it causes too cool of a vape for me so it's hard to find a happy medium lol.
On mine it whistles if I close the airflow over half way, sorry, don't have any tips other than don't draw as hard. Never tried it until I just read your post, I've been using it fully open.

CloudOFsmoke

Sep 15, 2015
Whistling is just a matter of air speed through or across different shaped opening. If you dont mind permanently modifying it, you could reshape the airhole a bit. Other than that... open 'er up! Dont be skurd!

As far as the wicking, I dont know about all these fancy names (pancake, etc) but having about 1/8 inch into the channel does the trick for me. I know I said Id post picks. I took some, but havent had the chance to upload em yet. I kinda live at work with no wifi connectivity and its been busy, so I havent been able to break out the laptop yet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread