SMOK TFV4 Triple coil - Sub ohm tank Quick look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticsteam

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
So Cal
I have to say I really like this tank. It's even easier to fill than the Uwell Crown(another fantastic tank I might add). I don't have much of a review yet, as I just got it today. However in my combined time of use (30 min lunch, and 15 min break) a few observations. For one thing, it's pretty insanely solid. The metal parts of the tank feel like they could survive a nuclear blast. The drip tip is nice, I really like fact the tip stays cool, not to mention the hot core/cool outer air stream feels pretty nice. The vapor production is astounding even in windy conditions, and the flavor is excellent also. The liquid draw though is pretty crazy lmao, like a tiny turbine engine. Which brings me to the coils. The one I have in the tank is the tri coil. Very nice. I have spare quad coils, and these things are HUGE, not to mention like the tank very over engineered, and solid. Which is a good thing, but raises the coil cost. The quad looks like it's coil within a coil, dual stack, which may be re-coil-able, provided you build it similarly. The triple may not be too easy as the coil is 3 coils in a delta formation, and individually tubed. I do want to try the crazy 6 coil head( coil within coil, triple tubed). I also have a x cube 2, and TC aircoils on way so Ill be trying those out soon also.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I had ordered a Black version from SlowTech back in August 2015 along with 2x each single and dual coil RBA's. The RBA's showed up Friday and the actual TFV4 is still on "back order" at SlowTech. (sigh) Having 4 brand new ginormous RBA's to play with and nothing to attach them to was driving me nuts so I ventured out to my local B&M's to see if the actual tank was available local or not.

I found one at a local B&M yesterday (one day use so far) and here's my initial impressions.
    • Air flow - this tank has more air flow than any of my other RTA's - bar none
    • Size - while being bigger in diameter than many of my other tanks - it looks good on top of a IPV4S
    • Capacity - a decent amount - average
    FYI: I have no use for the included prebuilt atomizers as I'm strictly a DIY TC kinda user.

Starting with the DUAL RBA, the heads on the included screws are not nearly wide enough to capture 28AWG and smaller diameter wire. The screws are short and 'wobbly'. I started with 30AWG and gave up, then tried 28AWG and gave up and finally got 2x 26WG Ti coils installed. I rather DON'T like having to capture BOTH coils under the same two screws - getting the coil alignment right when BOTH coils can move and/or escape from the screw heads is rather 'fiddly' but can be done.

First build 2x 10 wraps of 26AWG Ti1 on 2.5mm.

Smok gave us 4 very large juice channels along with a 'gutter' of sorts. The 'gutter' came in handy when trimming the wick - I simply cut the wick off at the gutter leaving the bottom of the juice channels (and the gutter) open and the top of the juice channels with wick.

A word of warning: 2 of my 4 RBA's were missing the required clear o-ring that needs to be fitted to the bottom of the RBA for proper sealing. I stole one from one of the included Factory atomizers as mine will never be used.

After priming the wick I slowly screwed the RBA lid on stopping at the top of the 'gutter' to check/push any wick which got pulled/pushed into the gutter back up into the RBA deck but still having the top section of the juice channels filled with wick.

My #1 complaint about the TFV4 is that the tank requires dissassembly to gain access to the atomizer or RBA. I suppose if you 'fiddled' enough with a syringe you could empty some/most of the contents of the tank before taking it apart. However the placement of the fill slot in relation to the RBA or atomizer makes doing this a bit of a chore. I used an eyedropper or two to get some flavored juice in the tank to test vape on.

Wicking of the flavored with almost instant - only 2 hits of my unflavored 50/50 priming juice before flavor started coming in STRONG. The dual coils needed more than my usual 15-20W to heat up in a reasonable amount of time - 30W with a baseline setting of 380F the tank+build was producing a decent vape. I could very easily overwhelm myself with vapor by raising the temperature up to just 430F.

I vaped on the small sample of juice while I returned my attention to my 28AWG coils. I'd really really want my 28-32AWG wire to work as I can coax higher resistances out of my builds and the thinner diameter wire heats up and cools off faster.

I have since ran a tank through my 2x28AWG Ti1 build and have set aside single 28AWG Ni200 and SS430 builds to try once I've emptied the tank on the dual coil build. (I'm interested to see how the single coils perform to compare with my dual Ti1 builds)

I really need to add some photos to this review as the single coil RBA's are HUGE to build on.

I prefer top fill tanks, the Smok comes with two wide 'bands' that one can be used to secure the top from opening by accident.

So why get a "cloud chaser tank" and operate it at 30W or less? Three reasons mainly:
    1. Did I mention I like top fill tanks?
    2. The build deck on the single RBA is HUGE - lots of room for higher ohm TC coils, the dual deck is fairly large as well, both have awesome juice channels (for folks who use %100VG like myself)
    3. Much like the 'Sports Car' owners who never venture much past the speed limit, having the ability to make as much flavor/vapor as you desire is better than being limited or restricted by your equipment.
    The tank was ~1/4 full when I set it and the IPV4S on its side over night - no leaks so far.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread