Smok TFV8 Baby Beast Quadruple Core burnt/horrid taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyDraw

Jul 31, 2017
Hey vapers, new to the forum; but not vaping. I'm using a Smok Alien 220W TC Box Mod with a Smok TFV8 Baby Beast and a Quadruple Core coil inside. I swapped out my coil a couple of days ago, primed it, filled the tank with liquid (70/30 VG/PG), and let it sit for about 30 minutes and started vaping; everything was fine until yesterday when I started noticing a warm flavor on 45-50 watts (what I usually run.) I was smoking a cigarette waiting for my batteries to charge right before this happened. I took slower and lighter draws, until I could only do about three seconds before the taste got horrid. Today I've been running 40 watts, and it's the same thing, but it's getting to the point where I don't even want to inhale any vapor for the fear of the taste. It's a brand new tank, I just changed the o-rings, the coil isn't burnt at all. I have no idea what the hell is going on. Somebody please help me!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
if the coil isnt burnt, then it may be the juice... what juice are you using and what PG/VG ratio is it? Flavor? Ive noticed that some flavors dont like higher wattages... they go bitter when over heated ( not burnt).
As far as the flavor changing when the board goes warm, possible there is a malfunction with the mod... are you using Temp control or power mode?

Reactions: stols001

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How far down do you let the tank get before refilling? I know you say it's not a burnt coil but that's what it sounds like. I never let the liquid level in my BBB tanks even get down into the cotton at all. Fill when down to the TOP of the opening. I also always have spare coils on hand just in case...

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
How far down do you let the tank get before refilling? I know you say it's not a burnt coil but that's what it sounds like. I never let the liquid level in my BBB tanks even get down into the cotton at all. Fill when down to the TOP of the opening. I also always have spare coils on hand just in case...

Good question and suggestion. Vaping a tank dry is a surefire way to invite the dry hit. It doesn't matter if it's a cartomizer, top coil, bottom coil or u-coil. Keeping the juice on the wick solves most flavor problems.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm going to throw something in here that may or may not apply, so take it for what it is worth:

I've been running a regular TFV8 for quite some time using up some V8-X4 coils around 110 - 115 watts. All was going fine until I put in a new coil recently. Went through the same priming procedure I have used successfully many times. Slowly raising the watts, it became unbearably hot once I got to/above 100 watts. And I mean HOT! Might have even burned the upper back of my throat a bit. I backed it down to 85 - 88 watts which is vapable, but still on the warm/hot side. The only thing I have been able to come up with is that the air flow seems to be restricted somehow....it just doesn't seem as airy. I've never had anything like this happen with any of my gear, so chalking it up to a bad coil. I will find out when I get around to trying my last X4 coil before getting into my supply of T8 coils.

So, I am thinking/wondering if a "bad" coil can restrict air flow, maybe even enough to burn/singe the cotton?

Empress Dragonfly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
U.S
I had to research and found your post, as I am going through the same this exact moment with the new Smok Alien I got today. Using the stock Smok 0.4 coils, filled up the tank with Black Note Quartet 50/50. Let it sit for an hour. Started priming at 30w, getting horrid burnt.
I am not familiar with all the settings but I was able to program the soft mode. Not sure what setting to use. This isn't going well, I need a tutorial, lol

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I had to research and found your post, as I am going through the same this exact moment with the new Smok Alien I got today. Using the stock Smok 0.4 coils, filled up the tank with Black Note Quartet 50/50. Let it sit for an hour. Started priming at 30w, getting horrid burnt.
I am not familiar with all the settings but I was able to program the soft mode. Not sure what setting to use. This isn't going well, I need a tutorial, lol
take a small needle,poke holes in the juice flow on the coils (one at the top and one at the bottom) that way the coils can wick much more easier and i haven't had burnt taste afterwards even though i didn't bought new coils for the big baby that trick fixed the horrid taste for alot of people it seems.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think this may be a design issue with some of these coils, where the cotton may be packed too tightly, leading to dry hits and burning. I've seen the solution above ^^^ suggested several times, and it seems to work for folks. Another one I've read involved boiling new coils first for about 20 minutes (low boil) I think the idea was to remove any possible residue from manufacture, but it could also loosen up the cotton a bit.... I'm not a smok user though, so take that for what it's worth, and good luck!

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Well I will certainly try that out, I was starting to get discouraged or perhaps thought I set it wrong. I am wondering though, the coil type, what should it be set at, it's the stock coil. T ni..t-ti or ss.
Stock coils are all kanthals (unless specified otherwise) all smok's factory coils are made to be used at whatever wattage is recommended on the coils themselves. In fact most temp control coils are used on rda,rtas and such.
and before you ask there's no "perfect" setting,that's called a "sweetspot" which is whatever wattage you like the most. Some will say you can go above what's written on coils but i wouldn't advise unless you don't mind burning coils twice as quick (the more wattage you put through those the quicker they burnout).

Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread