smok tfv8 baby beast troubles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
If i run higher vg than 70/30 it just won't wick worth a sheet, but its been cold . 100% vg no way , you must live somewhere very very warm lol
Yeah I live in sunny Southern California but my tank gets warm as I vape it..
Like when I wake up it's about 60°in my room when I hit my mod the first time but after a few pulls at 120w or so my cloud Beast gets very warm and that thick VG thins out...It wicks like a champ with no dry hits, no spit back, no gurgle and no leaks, just a great nic hit, good flavor and thick vapor...Love it!, lol

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Richard-D

Bradley thompson

Apr 17, 2017
Hi guys and gals,
im new to the forum, but ive been reading on here for about the last month. ive recently started vaping(4 weeks with no analogs!!!!) i have a fuchai 213 and a smok tfv8 baby beast. ive been using the same coil .4 ohm since i got it. i started getting a burnt taste so i figured it was time to change it. ive primed the new coil right cause after a few hits the flavor comes through great. after about 10 hits or so the great flavor goes away, and i get a burt taste again. i have noticed when i take a hit the bubbles that come out of the cotton has vapor in them and it fills the take up. ive used 100%vg and diffrent mixes down to 50/50 and all produce the same results. ive even tried 2 other coils and all have started fine but end up the same. any ideas or help would be great!
Hi mate got the same problem with all the coils I change i prior the coils every time I refill and it works great more flavour also just drop some juice down the air flow shaft works great

JehovahsThickness

Jun 27, 2017
I have a .4 ohm Q2 40 to 80 watt coil in my SMOK AL85 with TDV8 baby beast and my did the exact same thing but mine makes a LOUD pop noise instead of that lovely sizzle sound it normally makes. I thought it might have been a bad contact. This was the first time I changed my cool so I made 100% sure it was primed correctly and wicked for quite a few hours

10Pups

Jan 14, 2017
Orange, California
Since my first post I have found these things can come with problems. Watch the bottoms where the wires come out and pay attention to the ones that work. Then you will know when you see a bad one and can most times tweak it a little so it doesn't short out. I have successfully rebuilt the Q2 atomizer a couple of times now. The first 2 I tried didn't go well so if you try it keep at it until you have done it. It does require some patience but it's not impossible at all. Now if you can't tell the difference between a nail and a screw , just keep on buying them :<0)

• Informative

RMcK317

Aug 27, 2017
I have the same issue. The factory coil was great and I have been burning through replacements daily. I prime my coils and they are still giving me dry hits. Sometimes first hit is a dry hit after sitting for hours with a full tank. So I just got the answer from a few youtube videos. Take a sewing needle and poke a low and high hole through the cotton from outside to inside on each of the side inlets. Apparently the cotton is packed too tight and not allowing the juice to wick into the center around the element. I just threw out 2 coils that were barely dirty but were giving me harsh dry hits. So far since I did this I haven't had a dry hit. Now to see how long it lasts.

Reactions: stols001

RMcK317

Aug 27, 2017
Update: I verified my coils on Smoks website. They were legit. I sent them an email about it. I watched a YouTube video, and a couple others. People took a pin and poked holes through the cotton to aid in wicking. I tried it and it helped. I went back to my store where I am a regular and the girl gave me a new box free of charge. I went to the .6 coils. My batteries last longer and I am running between 30-33w. So far not a problem. I think they made a bad batch. The cotton on some coils was still clean which makes me believe the problem is the element. Maybe the cotton was contaminated and not wicking, or packed too tight. I don't know. I do know I've been on this .6 for a week now, no dry hits and still good flavor. I've gone through about 60ml of 3 flavors on this coil and still going, just starting to fizzle out

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Update: I verified my coils on Smoks website. They were legit. I sent them an email about it. I watched a YouTube video, and a couple others. People took a pin and poked holes through the cotton to aid in wicking. I tried it and it helped. I went back to my store where I am a regular and the girl gave me a new box free of charge. I went to the .6 coils. My batteries last longer and I am running between 30-33w. So far not a problem. I think they made a bad batch. The cotton on some coils was still clean which makes me believe the problem is the element. Maybe the cotton was contaminated and not wicking, or packed too tight. I don't know. I do know I've been on this .6 for a week now, no dry hits and still good flavor. I've gone through about 60ml of 3 flavors on this coil and still going, just starting to fizzle out
And that's why i don't use em anymore, i bought the tank pack so lucky me it came with the rba base. Bought some cotton last month wicked the baby beast rba base and been using it ever since, sure you have to rewick it from time to time but at least i don't have to buy packs of coils and that cotton is good for months (the pack of cotton not the cotton itself :p). The pocking holes trick is indeed a great fix as i've saved my coils with that trick and made em last longer. Smok's coils seem to have shady Qc at best and their customer support sucks big time, i've sent them an email a while ago now and never had any answer nothing at all. In other words if you want a good sub 0hm tank don't use smok or if you do use their rba (even then the Qc is shady and lots of issues about this on youtube)

NB: @Newvapebill @RMcK317 if you guys still have trouble with your baby beasts the better idea would be to start a new thread and not revive or bump a 1 year old one,you'll probably get more answers especially if you add more details as to what you're doing with the tank :p

RubZ

Oct 8, 2017
Hi guys and gals,
im new to the forum, but ive been reading on here for about the last month. ive recently started vaping(4 weeks with no analogs!!!!) i have a fuchai 213 and a smok tfv8 baby beast. ive been using the same coil .4 ohm since i got it. i started getting a burnt taste so i figured it was time to change it. ive primed the new coil right cause after a few hits the flavor comes through great. after about 10 hits or so the great flavor goes away, and i get a burt taste again. i have noticed when i take a hit the bubbles that come out of the cotton has vapor in them and it fills the take up. ive used 100%vg and diffrent mixes down to 50/50 and all produce the same results. ive even tried 2 other coils and all have started fine but end up the same. any ideas or help would be great!
Hey Larry I had the same problem until I came across a youtube video from RipTrippers. He shows you exactly how to fix the Smok v8 coils so just go watch his video and subscribe to his channel because he has alot of tips there...

• Informative

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Hey Larry I had the same problem until I came across a youtube video from RipTrippers. He shows you exactly how to fix the Smok v8 coils so just go watch his video and subscribe to his channel because he has alot of tips there...

Thank you for the tip RubZ I found the link I was getting this issue as well, I haven't tried the method but I did learn that lower the watts helped a ton. Once I got good batteries I was up to 100 watts with 70/30 and I was getting a lot of dry hits when I was chain vape'in lowered the watts and that great flavor was back.

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
I've been using the Baby Beast for about a year and the Big Baby for a few months; it provides a stronger flavour.

I want to reassure anyone experiencing problems that they will go away with a bit of experimentation and advice. This is a great forum with some very helpful people on it.

If you're experiencing problems, don't let these tanks run too low. It is better to have plenty of liquid in them, preferably covering most of the area of the wicking holes. However, when everything is working well it does not seem to matter much if you let the liquid go down to a low level.

As OlderNDirt wrote, when screwing in a new coil be careful to make sure you don't get it cross threaded.

Check that you are using authentic Smok coils. Use the scratch-off portion of the packaging and check the code on the Smok website.

Sometimes you may get a duff Smok coil, but that is very rare in my limited experience. In a year of use I have had one coil burn out, while inhaling, and the taste of burnt metal is not something I will easily forget. I've had one or two other coils that failed within a day or so.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Q2 0.4 ohm coil. If I remember correctly (and I may be wrong as I haven't used it for a while) it is one of the coils that can have a tendency to pop, crackle and spit with some liquids.

After trying all the different coils, I have settled on the Q2 0.6 ohm coil; unfortunately it is sometimes not the easiest coil to find, but it is worth hunting for. It is super smooth with my DIY liquid, has a lower power requirement for extended battery life and less heat, and is a cooler vape (which I prefer). It allows me to take many long hits without excessive heat build up in the mod and drip tip. I generally use it at a maximum of 32 W, going up gradually from 20 W with a new coil.

I replace coils after they have consumed 140 ml of liquid - about 2 weeks. My current liquid is 30% PG, 65.6% VG, 4.4% water.

I put a new Q2 0.6 ohm coil in the Big Baby today, primed it, filled the tank, waited all of two minutes, closed the air hole almost completely, sucked gently but continuously on it a few times, re-opened the air hole, then started vaping at 20 W, gradually turning the power up 1 or 2 W at a time. A few hours later I was using it at 32 W; the vapour is warm on a very long hit, but never gets hot.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
I am in the middle of my 5th week of vaping so I am no expert at all I am total noob trying to learn.

Chain vaping Baby Beast .15 at 70-100 watt using a T-Priv has caused me many dry hits lots of heat and 2 burnt coils in a few days. I am trying the hole punch method and lowered my top watts to 40-65 watts, also making sure that I keep my tank full I was developing a bad habit of running it down because I was getting leaking issues when I started.

This has all helped but I think I am over hitting the mod and have no way to tell before I take a hit if it will be dry.

One more thing I just noticed after doing a refill, if I leave the top open more air allows the juice to settle into the wick and what was a full tank dropped by a 1/4 empty. By closing the top so quickly after refill maybe not enough air was getting into the chamber to allow for the juice to soak into the wick.

Last edited:

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
Vexar, I highly recommend the Q2 0.6 ohm version coil for chain vaping, for the reasons mentioned in my post above. You shouldn't experience any dry hits with that coil unless you are so avidly chain vaping that you drain the tank completely.

There are two 0.15 ohm coils for the Baby Beast and I am assuming from your "70-100 watt" level that you are using the T8 coil. Smok say: 50-110W / BEST 60-80W. I never liked to go above 70 W with that coil and often used it at a much lower level. I enjoyed the flavour of the T8 coil, but decided it was too hot for my needs.

A year into vaping, I still sometimes crave the 'brain rush' of rolling tobacco so I end up chain vaping my 4 mg/ml liquid in the Big Baby. The Q2 0.6 ohm coil allows me to do that without excessive heat. I've put one in my Baby Beast and will report back...

• Agree

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I don't have the Big Baby, but I have two of the little Baby tanks.

@Richard-D is spot on about watching the liquid level with these coils. Vape the tank to say, 2/3's of the way down is inviting the scorch.

It's the top of the coil that burns first. The reason is that once a viscous liquid like 70/30 or max VG gets to a certain level, the user is fighting both gravity (the head differential between the top of the coil and the liquid level) and the ability of the cotton to wick a thick liquid. You can delay this by tilting and twirling the tank to make liquid come in contact with the wick, but it's delaying the inevitable if the tank isn't refilled.

Obviously, this is less of a problem with the 5ml Big Baby, but that tank's gonna get it it too.

This is what we bargain for in using coils as thirsty as the Beasts. They're flavor and vapor monsters, but they drink juice and threaten a dry hit if their thirst isn't slaked.

Edit: I like the 0.4's myself, but I have part of a pack of 0.6's here and like those too. All the other multi-coil configs I can do without.

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
...Chain vaping the Baby Beast with the Q2 0.6 ohm coil at 20 W - surprisingly flavoursome even at this low level, no heat problems whatsoever and now I've even got a pleasant nicotine buzz happening.

04:58 in the morning and I can hear some neighbours whining, despite my office's substantial air filter being on its max setting. Whine away, whiners - you've kept me awake till 4 am too many times.

@Coastal Cowboy You were the dude who taught me about the liquid level with these coils.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
If you read through the earlier posts on this thread, you will see that the OP did have this problem solved with an email response from Smok. The number one problem with the BB and the BBB is that white silicone seal that fits over the top of the tank and the fill hole. It gets misshapen after a tank or two or three of juice. You just have to pull it out, rinse and dry, and fit it back in. The tanks do come with two and you have to alternate between the two. The first sign this is happening is that it is harder to close the top. Super simple fix and if you need more of these seals, Fasttech has them. This link is to the replacement parts for the Baby, the parts for the Big Baby are in the drop-down menu.

$3.55 Authentic Clrane Replacement O-Ring Seals for Smoktech SMOK TFV8 Baby Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 4pcs/pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
If you read through the earlier posts on this thread, you will see that the OP did have this problem solved with an email response from Smok. The number one problem with the BB and the BBB is that white silicone seal that fits over the top of the tank and the fill hole. It gets misshapen after a tank or two or three of juice. You just have to pull it out, rinse and dry, and fit it back in. The tanks do come with two and you have to alternate between the two. The first sign this is happening is that it is harder to close the top. Super simple fix and if you need more of these seals, Fasttech has them. This link is to the replacement parts for the Baby, the parts for the Big Baby are in the drop-down menu.

$3.55 Authentic Clrane Replacement O-Ring Seals for Smoktech SMOK TFV8 Baby Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 4pcs/pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I pulled it out to do a test and as soon as I pulled it out no seal at all and took a hit the dry hit went away, and I got all my flavor back. So it seems I am starving the wick of juice because of the lack of air flow. I will try it with spare seal, but great tip!

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I pulled it out to do a test and as soon as I pulled it out no seal at all and took a hit the dry hit went away, and I got all my flavor back. So it seems I am starving the wick of juice because of the lack of air flow. I will try it with spare seal, but great tip!

Take a little time when you fit it back in and make sure it is totally flat all around the edges (use your fingernail to fit the edges in) and push it down firmly so that it is secure around the center post. The first time or two that you do it, it will seem like a royal PITA but you will get it right if you are patient. After that, it will be easy and will save you LOADS of headaches. Good luck!

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Take a little time when you fit it back in and make sure it is totally flat all around the edges (use your fingernail to fit the edges in) and push it down firmly so that it is secure around the center post. The first time or two that you do it, it will seem like a royal PITA but you will get it right if you are patient. After that, it will be easy and will save you LOADS of headaches. Good luck!

With out the seal my tank started leaking like crazy to the point I had to take apart the mod and wipe it down with warm water. I put the seal back in so that the larger ridges were toward the bottom of the tank so the lid would close it seemed to work fine.

I then tried to reverse the seal and the lid wouldn't close so then I put it back the way it I had it at first and cleaned the spare original seal and set it a side for now. The burnt hits went away as soon as I started messing around with this seal.

Vaping seem great when it works but I am finding it a pain in the ... learning all this stuff. I need to simplify this process so I am not wasting so much juice and making a mess all day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread