smok tfv8 baby beast troubles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
@Vexar, you will get it. Walk away when you are frustrated. Seriously, once you get it down with putting that seal in, it will be second nature. The ridges on the seal face up, if that helps.

I am not frustrated with the seal just the entire experience. :)

If I have the seal in I am getting dry hits after 20 mins with a terrible burnt taste, if I take the seal out it recovers and I get great hits. If I put the seal in with the ridges on top I cant close the top, but I will keep trying.

Last edited:

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I am not frustrated with the seal just the entire experience. :)

If I have the seal in I am getting dry hits after 20 mins with a terrible burnt taste, if I take the seal out it recovers and I get great hits. If I put the seal in with the rigs on top I cant close the top, but I will keep trying.

If you are having trouble closing the top, you don't have the seal fitted in properly. Ridges up, make sure the liquid hole is in the right place, then push firmly around the middle post hole and then work your way around the edges to get it flat. You might have to take it out, rinse and pat dry, then do it again until you get it in so that the top closes smoothly. With a little practice, you will see that it is simple. Good luck!

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
If you are having trouble closing the top, you don't have the seal fitted in properly. Ridges up, make sure the liquid hole is in the right place, then push firmly around the middle post hole and then work your way around the edges to get it flat. You might have to take it out, rinse and pat dry, then do it again until you get it in so that the top closes smoothly. With a little practice, you will see that it is simple. Good luck!

Let me be clear both sides have ridges what I am calling the bottom have larger ridges that follow the contours of the top of the tank if you look closely even the seal is tapered, that part is down for me, the thin ridges are on top. All I do is damage the seal if I try to close the top with larger tapered ridges on top because the middle hole is preventing the seal to go down because it is a reverse taper.

I can take a picture might be easier to explain.

EDIT: I am a 100% total jackass I got it in the right way now with large ridges on top and I can spell ridges see ... ridges. LOLS

Last edited:

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Let me be clear both sides have rigs what I am calling the bottom have larger rigs that follow the contours of the top of the tank if you look closely even the seal is tapered, that part is down for me, the thin rigs are on top. All I do is damage the seal if I try to close the top with larger tapered rigs on top because the middle hole is preventing the seal to go down because it is a reverse taper.

I can take a picture might be easier to explain.

I don't really use my Big Baby Beast tanks often these days, but I just cleaned one last night and put it back together today. I thought of you as I put the seal in and thought about making a video. If you can't get it figured out, I can do that and post it here.

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
I don't really use my Big Baby Beast tanks often these days, but I just cleaned one last night and put it back together today. I thought of you as I put the seal in and thought about making a video. If you can't get it figured out, I can do that and post it here.

I thank you but I am ok now. I am not sure if I will be getting dry hits in a next few hits, I have lost my trust for this tank. What did you switch to? I want to use up my coil pack I have 4 left but I was looking to buy a new tank even before all this happened.

Maybe even a new simpler easier to carry mod. I know I like top fill tanks, but I want an easier more fool proof solution with less mess. I am washing my hands 10 x a day to type on my keyboard as I vape while working.

Reactions: stols001

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I thank you but I am ok now. I am not sure if I will be getting dry hits in a next few hits, I have lost my trust for this tank. What did you switch to? I want to use up my coil pack I have 4 left but I was looking to buy a new tank even before all this happened.

Maybe even a new simpler easier to carry mod. I know I like top fill tanks, but I want an easier more fool proof solution with less mess. I am washing my hands 10 x a day to type on my keyboard as I vape while working.

There are a lot of good, top fill tanks out there. I currently am using two models - the Fireluke which I can't praise highly enough. It comes with one coil and an RBA deck if you decide you want to install and wick coils. The drop in coils for the Fireluke give fabulous flavor - the RBA I like but don't love. I also use an OBS Engine Nano but that is only RBA, single coil.

• Informative

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
Vexar, it will become much easier with (not very much) experience.

I used only the Big Baby over the last few months, but have been using the Baby Beast for the last few days (thanks to you) and I've been really enjoying it again. I also have the Spirals tank, which has a tighter, more restrictive draw compared to the Baby and Big Baby, and a screw-off top cap. Each tank gives a different flavour experience with the same liquid, even though my Baby and Big Baby are using the same coil.

A friend of mine with ten years vaping experience has just highly recommended the Wotofo Flow tank. It is compatible with Baby Beast coils, and others, although he says so far its own coils have been the best. He rates it very highly for flavour.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Ha nevermind, it looks like I am late to the party and Older than Dirt already got you fixed up. I will say that if you are up to trying an RTA rebuildable tank, I can't say enough good things about the OBS Engine Nano single coil RTA, easy to build and wick. My brother loves his and he never wanted to go thru the trouble of building coils. It's top airflow so no leaks.

Last edited:

Vexar

Sep 7, 2017
Ha nevermind, it looks like I am late to the party and Older than Dirt already got you fixed up. I will say that if you are up to trying an RTA rebuildable tank, I can't say enough good things about the OBS Engine Nano single coil RTA, easy to build and wick. My brother loves his and he never wanted to go thru the trouble of building coils. It's top airflow so no leaks.

I am looking for flavor, top fill, top air flow control for less leaks with the fewest gaskets or variables that works well with sweet juices. I feel all the current systems have a long way to go they have too many ways to screw up your own setup just refilling or cleaning the tank. I have cleaned my T-Priv of juice so many times in the last 5 weeks that the paint is starting to come off on the paper towels.

I am going to my vape shop tomorrow and have them walk me through filling, coil replacement, tank cleaning and have them watch me do it so I can learn how I am ....ing this up so badly. :) Also I will buy 2 new tanks they recommend, the more trouble I have with vaping the more cigs I end up smoking so I am not making the progress I wanted. Also I want to try ceramic which seem to the direction the world will be moving toward. I have no interest in building coils, cutting wicks, etc. Simplest most fool proof method possible.

• Agree

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
My brother also wanted to not have something leaky since he carries his in his shirt pocket. I got him the Cubis tank by Joyetech, top airflow, inexpensive coils and no leaks. The other tank I got him is the OBS Engine Nano, single coil build top airflow and flavor for miles. This would probably be your best bet and you wouldn't have to buy coils

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The OBS engine nano is a great starter RTA. With that said, building an RTA also takes research and experience, so if you get one, I would maybe also get another tank that you can use drop in coils with, that isn't causing such leaking issues. The only exp I have sub0hming is with the Cleto tank from Aspire, that thing is reliable and won't leak if you shove it into your boot and walk up Everest. I can't really compare it to other tanks too much, though, given I don't really sub0hm. You mentioned a ceramic cell, you might want to look into a tank that carries the C-cell, which has a ceramic housing that isn't replaced, and can take many different (and sometimes rebuildable) coils, a lot of folks swear by the C-cell. There's a big long thread on it on here somewhere, you might be able to do a search on it.

Could also ask your question in the tanks section of the board, and get more recommendations that way.

Best of luck, I hope vaping smooths out for you here some.... :)

Anna

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
The OBS engine nano is a great starter RTA. With that said, building an RTA also takes research and experience, so if you get one, I would maybe also get another tank that you can use drop in coils with, that isn't causing such leaking issues. The only exp I have sub0hming is with the Cleto tank from Aspire, that thing is reliable and won't leak if you shove it into your boot and walk up Everest. I can't really compare it to other tanks too much, though, given I don't really sub0hm. You mentioned a ceramic cell, you might want to look into a tank that carries the C-cell, which has a ceramic housing that isn't replaced, and can take many different (and sometimes rebuildable) coils, a lot of folks swear by the C-cell. There's a big long thread on it on here somewhere, you might be able to do a search on it.

Could also ask your question in the tanks section of the board, and get more recommendations that way.

Best of luck, I hope vaping smooths out for you here some.... :)

Anna
I agree, the OBS may not be for the OP just yet. The only TopAirflow Top fill I know of is the Joyetech Cubis and it absolutely will not leak and has pretty decent flavor with the notch coil .25 ohms I believe.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That sounds like a reasonable choice for the OP, and fairly inexpensive? I don't know this topper, but if the OP finds a couple they like, maybe it will make the search for the right RTA a little easier with more time.... I'm not sure I'd recommend the Engine if it meant buying a new mod, there are way too many choices out there. This thread may be of help: 8 reasons not to buy a decent RTA

Best of luck to the OP!

Anna

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
Filled my Baby Beast yesterday, with a thinner liquid than normal, and it instantly leaked all down both sides of the mod and covered it in sticky liquid. This is rare, for me, but I sympathise with Vexar's requirements. Whenever I go out I wrap a piece of kitchen paper around the tank before I put it in my jacket pocket.

When I was getting into vaping I still smoked, and felt no guilt whatsoever about doing so. As I got more accustomed to changing coils, appropriate power levels and leakage issues, vaping naturally took over from smoking. After a couple of months I couldn't stand the taste of tobacco any more, so I stopped smoking.

Paling

Oct 18, 2017
United Kingdom
It seems that I’ve been quite lucky with my 2 x Baby Beast tanks. I’ve had no issues with leaking; I do ..... the outer layer of cotton on the TFV8 coils (X4 & Q2) to make sure I don’t get any dry hits and I’m using liquids that vary from 50 Vg up to 80 VG.

The biggest issue I’ve had with the SMOK coils are that they do take a bit to break in.

I have ordered the WOTOFO FLOW tank and coils, looking forward to try these out.

Vape Path

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2017
Russia, Moscow
vapepath.ru
That's how tanks are, they will surprise you. I have tanks I thought I'd hate, that I totally don't, and vice versa.

Anna
Yeap, I fully agree with you, Anna.. Some tanks are full of surprises..)

Отправлено с моего PLK-L01 через Tapatalk

• Agree

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
I've been using my Baby Beast again for a couple of weeks now, and it is inconsistently leaky.

I fully filled the tank today with a mix consisting of 21% PG, 74.5% VG, 4.5% water (from the nicotine VG base) and after leaving it for an hour it had leaked copiously out of both air holes and all down the sides of the mod. That is obviously no good to anyone who is storing it in a pocket.

The coil is two weeks old, and being used in rotation with two other tanks.

Too much water in the mix? I can't avoid that with this nicotine base and it doesn't happen with my Big Baby or Spirals tanks.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I guess it could be too much water in the mix. I do find that makes a difference in some tanks (now that I'm adding water) but haven't you tried other vape mixes that worked better? If not, I'm not sure I'd jump immediately to "It's the water in the mix" though yes, that would think out the vape a certain amount.

I guess if you want to try a different mix, maybe you could remove some of the PG, and just leave the water? That's got to make it less leaky overall, though of course then you may run into wicking problems.... yeah, I'd be frustrated too.

Why not just retire it if you have other tanks working well for you? Either that, or take it to a knowledgeable vape store, see if they can help you work through this matter person to person. You've gotten good suggestions, though, and you seem to know what you are doing, but it never hurts to try that.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with it!

Anna

Reactions: Richard-D
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread