Smok tfv8 big baby - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonLW

Jan 9, 2016
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hiya guys,

I recently purchased a smok V8 Stick. It's my first ever smok product, and I'm in love! But now it's time to change the coil in the tfv8 big baby and I can't bloody well open the thing! Feels like it's glued together. I've used various tanks over the past year or so and I've never before had this issue.

So, with the risk of sounding like an absolute idiot, how do I get this thing open?! The instructions in the user manual are a bit vague, but suggest I should first take off the top cap, then the base. But nothing is budging.

I'm scared of breaking the thing! Any help much appreciated :)

A x

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is this the first time you have broken the tank down? There are a few tricks to try. If you have rubber gloves you can try using those for a better grip. Throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes and then try. Run it under hot water then try. Essentially do whatever you can to loosen things up without breaking anything. Pliers are always a last step, but if you do, either use nylon coated pliers or something like a rubber glove between the pliers and the tank to avoid scratching.

AlisonLW

Jan 9, 2016
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks for the reply @Eskie! Yes it's the first time I've tried to disassemble. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go :)Should I unscrew the top cap first? Or can I just unscrew the base? Sorry for sounding stupid, like I say, it's my first smok tank. Other tanks I own have been really easy to open up, but this one is a bugger! Cheers! A :)

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for the reply @Eskie! Yes it's the first time I've tried to disassemble. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go :)Should I unscrew the top cap first? Or can I just unscrew the base? Sorry for sounding stupid, like I say, it's my first smok tank. Other tanks I own have been really easy to open up, but this one is a bugger! Cheers! A :)

Got me. I don't have that tank, but I would just start taking off whatever is easier, although it might be better to say leave the top on to give something to hold on to while trying to twist off the bottom.

Generally it's always good practice to disassemble, rinse and then reassemble any new tank. First, it will remove any leftover manufacturing oil and/or dirt, and second, it will loosen things up a bit as tanks have a tendency to get cranked down very tight right from the factory. But for now it's just keeping up with steady but even pressure until you can either finally get it apart or give up and toss it against a wall in disgust. Hard to know which end point will occur first. ;)

Reactions: AlisonLW

AlisonLW

Jan 9, 2016
Cambridgeshire, UK
Top cap first. The bottom of the chimney is threaded into the top of the coil head. After that's off, you can carefully wiggle the glass off the base, then unscrew the coil from the base.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thank you! I will now attempt it with more confidence! Been so scared of breaking the bloody thing! :) Ax

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    LOL you are always gonna get a different answer from someone. I always take off the bottom then use a kleenex or paper towel to grip the threads on the coil and take it out from the bottom. And replace it from the bottom.

One thing I always do when I get a new tank is dismantle it so I know how it works in the future.... that and it loosens things up. :):)

kero

Oct 4, 2016
    LI, NY
    By the way I have the same device and having major coil issues burning out in 3 days or less, crazy dry hits, and I only vape 1 to 1.5 tanks a day.

I have tried all the coils from M2 to T6 and they all do the same thing. I vape 0mg juice and mostly ultra clear desert flavors.

Research has led me to other reporting the same issue.

Do you experience anything similar?

AlisonLW

Jan 9, 2016
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    I sorted it all out! @kero - I have read about others having this problem, but so far so good for me. I've only used the coils that came with the v8 kit. M2 0.15 and M2 0.25. The 0.15 lasted for just under two weeks and was actually still vaping reasonably well. The 0.25 I have in now is still going strong after almost a week. I haven't experienced any dry hits. It's the smoothest vape I've ever had. I haven't tried any of the other coils. I'm happy at the moment with the M2's. I'm sorry you're having issues. Maybe someone more experienced than me will be able to offer advice. Maybe I've just been lucky? Silly question probably, but are you making sure the coils are primed? With the M2's I have filled up the tank and let it sit for a good 15 minutes - taking occasional primer puffs. After this it was ready to go. I hope you find a solution. A x

AlisonLW

Jan 9, 2016
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    @kero I guess with all mass produced coils there are gonna be some duds? Like I say, I've been lucky and have yet to have any issues. I've had problems with other coils in the past. Was recently using a cleito, which was great until I started getting coil issues. I got a pack of 5 and three of them were ....! It's so frustrating. I have tried the pin hole in the cotton trick before and it's worked. I bloody love vaping but sometimes it's annoying as f**k. I hope you sort things out! Ax

Reactions: kero

Bullhandbeast22

Mar 4, 2017
    I just bought the smok alien 85 tfv8 baby beast kit yesterday and I've already had the tank completely disassembled to learn on my own try taking the tank of the mod an grip it in your hand furm enough to to hold it still good and leave the part that screws in hanging out of the side where your thumb is and get one of the rubber bracelets with a saying on them and grip around the base of the attamizer and make the bracelet grip it and it should come off please don't use pliers or any metal objects to be honest so you don't brake something lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread