smok tfv8 or tfv12 cloud beast king ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudbusting

Apr 6, 2017
uk
I have owned the Limitless xl, exo xl, and currently have the Combo RDTA which I really like , very smooth, 7-8 different build decks to choose from.
642279b270614d3a1d5d304d2eb27dd7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
very nice...cool looking mod ..

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Sorry if you've said so and I missed it, but are you brand new to building or do you have some experience? if you have NONE, I'd definitely recommend some kind of subohm tank at least to start. So many do have the RBA decks if you want the option, and I'd hate for you to get an RTA-only and then get frustrated as a new builder since of course it won't work without user input.

My feelings on the V8 vs the 12 is really come down to a) I had a bad experience with the 12 and b) it is also that much more recent and the 8 is well-worn and well-loved. I think it's a little safer, but you may well enjoy the 12 more. Again, talking about factory heads.

If you're not a new builder or else are just ready for an RTA, I'd definitely look at the OBS Engines or really any of the Griffin line. I think they hit all the boxes in terms of relatively easy to build, good performance, etc. My Pharaoh is still on the way so I can't make an honest recommendation on that one but it has quickly amassed popularity. If you really just want clouds upon clouds (or flavor upon flavor) there may be better and more specific options, and certainly there are more than just two very good all-around tanks. Those are just the brands I'm both most comfortable with and feel right recommending. My Eleaf Lemo 3 really is one of my favorites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

After all that, really you probably can't go wrong with a V8 or V12, especially if you include the RBA deck or decks. There are just so many other options on top of those, depending on what you're looking for and what you're willing to do. That was more my point from the beginning :)

Reactions: Tonee N

cloudbusting

Apr 6, 2017
uk
Sorry if you've said so and I missed it, but are you brand new to building or do you have some experience? if you have NONE, I'd definitely recommend some kind of subohm tank at least to start. So many do have the RBA decks if you want the option, and I'd hate for you to get an RTA-only and then get frustrated as a new builder since of course it won't work without user input.

My feelings on the V8 vs the 12 is really come down to a) I had a bad experience with the 12 and b) it is also that much more recent and the 8 is well-worn and well-loved. I think it's a little safer, but you may well enjoy the 12 more. Again, talking about factory heads.

If you're not a new builder or else are just ready for an RTA, I'd definitely look at the OBS Engines or really any of the Griffin line. I think they hit all the boxes in terms of relatively easy to build, good performance, etc. My Pharaoh is still on the way so I can't make an honest recommendation on that one but it has quickly amassed popularity. If you really just want clouds upon clouds (or flavor upon flavor) there may be better and more specific options, and certainly there are more than just two very good all-around tanks. Those are just the brands I'm both most comfortable with and feel right recommending. My Eleaf Lemo 3 really is one of my favorites, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

After all that, really you probably can't go wrong with a V8 or V12, especially if you include the RBA deck or decks. There are just so many other options on top of those, depending on what you're looking for and what you're willing to do. That was more my point from the beginning :)
i have no experience in building yet ,but the limitless came with two pre-built decks..they just need wicking ..i hope to start to build soon ..thanks for the advice ..

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have the TFV8 and the TFV12, I prefer the TFV8 the TFV12 is a bit of an over kill for me. It's like having a V 12 engine in a car for city driving. I like the TFV12 and glad they put it out, nice to see what can be done. I'm making Clapton dual SS coils for the TFV8, I got 2 tanks both with RBAs and the TFV12 is the RBA version.

Reactions: cloudbusting

cloudbusting

Apr 6, 2017
uk

what's your thoughts on the
AVOCADO 24 ?

Reactions: Highwayman

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I had bought something similar to the Demon Killer premade coils 48, 6 of each. Maybe they will come in handy for something but I decided to make my own for the TFV8.
I'm using 8 turns of 5 32 gauge twisted strands and would like .80 ohms for each coil, SS to be used in temp mode. I think .5 is the highest in the premade kit.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
what's your thoughts on the
AVOCADO 24 ?

I'm not personally a fan of RDTAs but the avocados are quite popular so I wouldn't not recommend it. Just doesn't fit my vaping style. It's another GeekVape and as I've said they've put out some great prodcuts for the price point (especially, IMO, the griffin line and the Peerless RDA).

cloudbusting

Apr 6, 2017
uk
I had bought something similar to the Demon Killer premade coils 48, 6 of each. Maybe they will come in handy for something but I decided to make my own for the TFV8.
I'm using 8 turns of 5 32 gauge twisted strands and would like .80 ohms for each coil, SS to be used in temp mode. I think .5 is the highest in the premade kit.
Thank you for your input Carl...

theclaw20

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2017
Of course, others are welcome to their opinion. I had an opportunity to try it and found it highly underwhelming.

I'd be fine recommending the TFV8 *and* the RBA, but I just personally wouldn't recommend the TFV12 if your primary purpose is building and the factory heads have been having QC issues.

Unless you are dying to also get to use factory coils, I have had much better experiences with RTAs that were made for the purpose. There are always concessions when a tank does both. You've got an RTA that can also run factory coils or a subohm tank that has a deck. Doesn't mean they can't also be good, but it's just what happens. The Lemo 3 does both and is one of my favorite RTAs in terms of performance and even has a roomy deck, but the concessions come in extra small screws and a weirdly placed, weirdly-sized o-ring in factory coil mode. There's always something.

The SMOK tanks are not expensive and there are many good RTAs that are also reasonable. Same for the RBA sections. Perhaps you can do both, even if not at the same time. Something like the Pharaoh or Griffin AIO have swappable/interchangeable decks; there's the Ammit with the single or dual coil versions in different sizes, the VanyVape Kylin is popular (I found it kind of eh TBH) and they just released the Govad tank, Wotofo does tank versions of the Lush, Troll, possibly something else, there's Augvape, there are other Geekvapes, CoilArt's Mages, OBS Engines of various sizes, the list goes on and on. All of that choice makes it easier to zero in on something that checks all your boxes, if the TFV8 or 12 indeed don't. But maybe they do.

Vaping is a subjective experience. What works for me may not work for you or someone else. I preferred the original TFV8 to what experience I've had with the 12, if we're talking about factory coils. I prefer most of my purpose built RTAs to the TFV12 RBA and most RBA decks of subohm tanks, which all have concessions. I simply think SMOK missed the mark on the 12, and am grateful I have vaping friends who will let me borrow their stuff before I have to buy. Or maybe the tank I used was bad. Who knows. Either way, I've got my own thoughts on it.

Some people will like the TFV12 because it works for them, and some people will like the TFV12 because it's the new big thing. ::Shrug::
As I was building on my V8 today it struck me how the grub screws are tougher to use than those on a pure RTA.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I continue to watch you tube coil building and came across
DAEDALUS By Avid Artisan, Here is a video I watched

Since I can't even do a 32 gauge wrap I'm interested in the Daedalus, I found it is sold at a few placed from 79 to 42 dollars. China costs less but delivery is much slower.
Anuy opinions about this device?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
As I was building on my V8 today it struck me how the grub screws are tougher to use than those on a pure RTA.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Interesting; do you find them easier to strip, just more likely to skip threads, what makes them difficult for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread