SMOK Treebox Mini 75W Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Disclaimer: This mod was received as a prize in a contest from Heaven Gifts.

First of all, I want to give credit to Heaven Gifts for having a multi-round contest where winners get to pick their prize with only a few restrictions. Not only did they allow you to pick your own prize, but they also shipped with DHL instead of using ePacket. I received my package exactly ONE week after the drawing. The package went from China to Mississippi in 4 days. Big props to @AlmightyEvan and Heaven Gifts for excellent service!

The Treebox Mini is a single 18650 VW/TC mod with a gorgeous Zebrawood body. Here's a link to the product page -- Treebox - SMOK® Being with you for all great vaping time! where you can see all of the specs.

Packaging. smok steps it up with the packing. The mod comes in a wooden box with a padded insert - nice touch. In addition, you get a pouch for the mod...I assume to protect the finish. There is registration, comfirmation codes, battery safet info, and a user manual included.
20160801_155835.jpg 20160801_162657.jpg

Looks. Gorgeous! The wood grain is very nice and contrasts well with the translucent red finish. The wood appears to be laser-cut and has engravings on the sides, as well as ventilation holes on the bottom. The battery door on my unit matched very well in regards to size and color. The magnets are good strength and the door seats with no play or wobble. The finish is nice and smooth with no rough spots or finish blemishes. Overall size is a little larger than an Evic Vtwo/VTC Mini, but the weight is actually pretty light.
20160801_162901.jpg

Controls and hardware. The 510 connector is recessed into the top and has a small trough around it with a channel to the front of the mod. I'm guessing this is for airflow on some atomizers, but can also help with juice seepage. The connector is very solid and is fastened with a nut on the inside. The center pin is springloaded and worked with all of my toppers, with the exception of a Sigelei X-Tank. The X-Tank would not read when screwed down flush.

The buttons appear to be metal with metal bezels, possibly SS, and have a very solid clicking action. The buttons do have a little rattle.
20160801_162851.jpg

Screen. This is one of my main "cons". It's OLED and very bright, but very small. The size is a shame considering how much room there is on the front. The size makes it hard to read for me. This picture shows the Treebox, a Sigelei Mini Book, and an Eleaf Istick Pico so you can compare the overall size and the screen size.
20160801_163233.jpg

Electrical and Operation. From what I've read, this system is an upgraded Koopor Mini 60W. The differences are increased wattage (75) and SS support for TC. Changes are made using a graphical menu system. In addition to TCR, you can also adjust the base resistance to help fine-tune the TC performance. There is no wattage setting for TC mode - there are Soft, Normal, and Hard settings that control the ramp-up. I didn't detect much difference between Norm and Hard and there is still a slight delay in the Hard setting. I don't have SS coils, but the TC seemed to work fairly well with Ni and Ti. One issue I had was the temp reading being off from what I'm used to. On other mods, I go with 380-400 degrees, but I had to set the Treebox to 330 to get equivalent warmth. Adjusting TCR and initial coil resistance would probably fix that, but I didn't spend much time on TC. VW mode worked exactly as you would expect. Battery life seems to be a little low since it cuts off at 3.5V.

Issues. Besides the annoyance of the small screen, there are 2 areas that I consider major drawbacks. The first is the missing USB. I don't understand why they removed this feature (the Koopor Mini has it). This means you can't emergency charge it and would need to carry a spare battery for extended outings. This also means no firmware upgrades to fix the next drawback....

The lock feature doesn't work. Other reviews online have pointed this out before me. When you 5-click the Fire button, it locks it. If you leave the mod for 5 minutes, it unlocks itself. This makes it somewhat more hazardous for pocket carrying.

Overall, I really like this device. It looks and feels great. However, I don't feel the features make it competitive to mods like the Pico or VTwo that are available for less money. Buy this mod if you want a decent mod with good build quality and great looks.

Pros:
-Looks!
-Solid 510 connector (cough..Evic...cough)
-Tactile buttons
-Easy battery access
-Support for Ni, Ti, and Ss with TCR and Initial Resistance adjustment
-Light weight

Cons:
- Small screen
- Large size
- No onboard charging
- No upgrades
- Faulty lock function

Thanks again, to Heaven Gifts for the contest. I'm definitely keeping this one around!

Reactions: cooladdict

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Very nice review, Zipslack! It really is a gorgeous mod and I love the wooden box. Very nice touch! I see what you mean about the screen size. That screen is TINY!! It sounds like the pros outweigh the cons for you, which is great. Congratulations again on your win and thank you for the review! :)

Reactions: Zipslack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread