smoke alarm going off

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayerr

Nov 7, 2014
Ontario
My smoke alarm goes off in my room when i vape somtimes. Its a small room so thats why i think. I use rda's and blow pretty big clouds. I dont want to set it off all the time. But im wondering if someone has a way they know of that will make it so it doesnt go off. I think it must be one of the optical fire detectors. Would piece of tape over the vent opening work?

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
remove the batteries. I honestly do not know of any house hold fire alarms that do not require batteries. the ones are schools require you to pull a lever, the water spout ones you see at places like restaurants I believe work via heat as I've set one off before on the fryer at work. the thermometer or w.e. wasn't working correctly and overheated the oil causing the thing to break and shoot all over the oil.

I read somewhere on here people use shower caps and cover it as well

3ebmike

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2015
Cool thanks guys. I could just disconnect it but id rather put a shower cap around it. Ill buy one and try it out.

I live in an apartment and I've actually set it off 3 times by accident just with the slightest bit of vapor. I can't have it going off here because they send the fire department out everytime it goes off. Each time the fire department chalked it up to it being a faulty detector saying it shouldn't be said off by that little of vapor so they told the land lord it needed to be replaced.. but now even the new on goes off with the slightest hint of vapor! So i had to disconnect mine in my room. There is one I can't disconnect otherwise it will alert them. So I shut the door when I'm vaping and had to take it off completely and put it in a different room!

jlb

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2015
I kinda have the same situation. I didn't want to cover it or take batteries out for fear I may forget to put them back in. So I figured since vapor evapoates fairly quick and smoke will not, I just put a small fan with a timer on the plug, an set it up to where it was blowing vapor away and it would shut off a little while after I go to sleep. That way while Im awake, I would probably notice smoke, and asleep maybe not so much. Has worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread