Smokers cough with vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

congo1986

May 20, 2010
Albuquerque
I smoked for 5 years, and stopped 2 years ago and started vaping. I vaped on the eGo for most of that time, but got a provari about 4 months ago. I vape pretty much only AVE juice. I have been noticing that when I go to sleep I need to clear my throat an awful lot lately, and some nights I cough a good amount too. The same for in the morning. Its not especially pleasant, but better than cigs (as others have mentioned). I am really starting to get fed up with having problems like this, and feel like maybe I just need to ween myself off Ecigs too. I am keeping my GF up at night with my loud throat clearing and coughing. This is starting to remind me of why I really wanted to get off of cigs.

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
It's funny you should bring this up now, as just this week I discovered I can't do 100% VG. Several months ago I purchased one which was just sooooooo yummy I couldn't put it down. Coincidentally several months ago I also started having symptoms like I was smoking in the bar. You know that feeling after you come home after a night of partying and you've been chain smoking non stop? You lay down in bed and your wheezing like crazy and coughing constantly? I'd wake up in the morning and be Ok-but it would start right up again. I was starting to get nervous that this vaping thing wasn't going to work out, or I was going to have to cut down or something.

By this time the bottle of that yummy stuff was starting to get low. So I put it aside to save a bit of it for those special stressful days when I really need that extra sumthing sumthin. Well I had one of those days this week. Guess what? Suddenly I'm wheezing and coughing again. Now I finally made the connection. Hope I never develop a PG allergy cause I'll be screwed. I really enjoy vaping and will continue to do it even when I'm down to 0mg.

I do my DIY mixes at 50/50 and that is fine for me.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
I'd go back to all PG if I were you. My Pulmonary doctor couldn't believe people were really vaping VG. He said get off it and get off now. He was very animated for an otherwise mild mannered guy. He said vaping VG is just like coating your lungs with oil. Needless to say, no more VG for me.

I noticed one Juice Vendors today state on their sites that VG is "FDA approved". I think that's deceptive just to make a buck, because vaping VG is certainly not FDA approved. I think it's time for the FDA to step in and do something.

Nothing about vaping if FDA approved.....the VG and PG used most likely are FDA approved. It's funny you say that about the VG....My doctor is more worried about the whole vaping thing period. While she "thinks" it is better than smoking, she says smoking was around hundreds of years for things to be found out about it, and inhaling vapor from an electronic device, not long enough to know anything about it. (compared to smoking cigarettes)...

I can tell you I think my coughing is better than when I stopped analogs 2 months ago, but the shortness of breath hasn't changed for the better and perhaps gotten worse. (when I say go up and down stairs a bit and such).....

Do I plan on stopping vaping? of course not, I'm having way too much fun with it and I do like that I don't smell like cigs any more. I deal with the public in their homes and I like going in not smelling like an ashtray and in fact have had comments about it from them. Am I positive it's safer than cigs? Nope I don't know that they've been out long enough to say that. I was a smoker for over 40 years. Even in 40 years things on cigarettes have changed. I remember cig commercials on TV....I remember signs about cigs being good for you. I remember people walking a mile for a camel.

I just don't know where all of this will end up. I LOVE vaping, as I loved cigs and have no plans to stop vaping and no plans to go back on cigs. I don't know what the FDA is gonna do, I'm sure however they're either gonna need a huge piece of the pie or they'll outlaw it for I'm sure the tobacco industries will step in with huge amounts of $$$ and make them stop.

Good luck,
Deach

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It's funny you should bring this up now, as just this week I discovered I can't do 100% VG. ......... Suddenly I'm wheezing and coughing again. Now I finally made the connection. Hope I never develop a PG allergy cause I'll be screwed. ......

There is a tremendous amount of variation between different VG types - you need to look at other brands.

I have ultra-sensitive lungs, and suffer badly in a dusty atmosphere or where there are mold spores in the air. It takes a couple of days for my lungs to clear up after exposure to these things. I could only smoke a max of 5 cigs a day, more than that and I got bronchitis.

I only use 100% VG is it's trouble-free for me - but I found a good brand that is of the highest quality. One all-VG brand I tried made my lungs extremely congested and after 4 days I had to stop using it, another day and I'd have been in the ER.

VG is just fine if you find a brand that works for you. It's now advised as the best option for inhalable medicines.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
There is a tremendous amount of variation between different VG types - you need to look at other brands.

I have ultra-sensitive lungs, and suffer badly in a dusty atmosphere or where there are mold spores in the air. It takes a couple of days for my lungs to clear up after exposure to these things. I could only smoke a max of 5 cigs a day, more than that and I got bronchitis.

I only use 100% VG is it's trouble-free for me - but I found a good brand that is of the highest quality. One all-VG brand I tried made my lungs extremely congested and after 4 days I had to stop using it, another day and I'd have been in the ER.

VG is just fine if you find a brand that works for you. It's now advised as the best option for inhalable medicines.

May I ask what this brand is??

Thanks

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
I've been vaping for nearly 6 weeks after 40+ years of smoking. My very bad smoker's cough went away within the first couple of weeks. A few days ago I received a new e-liquid that I absolutely fell in love with, BUT my smoker's cough returned right along with it. I've been vaping heavier vg ratios and this new liquid was 50/50, so I added some plain VG diluted with distilled water and it's working just fine for me now.

As others have stated, everyone has their own preferences and sensitivities. You just have to pay attention to your body and adjust. In over-all health I feel so very much better, I know without any doubt, vaping is good for "ME"!

Keep searching for your personal solution but don't go back to the analogs full-time!!! Best wishes!!!!!!

Thalinor

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
NH - USA
The only 100% VG liquid I have tried is Vermont Vapor and it destroys my throat. I had my sister try the stuff and the same thing happened to her only worse. I am not allergic to VG so I have no idea why I have so many problems with vaping VG based liquid. It could be the brand, who knows. I frequently buy both pre-mixed and mix my own PG based liquid and never have the problems I have with the 100% VG liquid, at least the three I got from Vermont Vapor.

I found VG defiantly blows greater plumbs of vapor but PG gives me a better throat hit. I don't really see the point of plumbs of vapor when I am getting the throat hit anyway, so for me there is little point in using VG.

A lot of people say a 70% PG / 30% VG mixture is ideal and I can get a great deal on the stuff at Wizard Labs, but hate to buy 500ml of the stuff only to find it still bothers my throat, so I will probably just order 100% PG. Again, I really want to see if its just that brand of VG and order the mix but I have that nagging "don't do it" feeling. I just tried to mix down a 100% VG vapor with 50% PG [Essentially making a 50/50 mix] and after 10 minutes of vaping I think I am starting to get that tingeing feeling which eventually leads to a sore throat. I may keep experimenting; 90/10 may work but again 500ml is a lot of ejuice and I don't want to buy something that will end up getting tossed because it hurts my throat.

What it comes down to is its all personal preference and how it reacts with your body. This is something no one can tell you, rather you just have to find out by trying different mixtures.

Edit: FYI When I mix my own, the stuff I use to cut it with is labeled "Glycerin USP" and says its 99.5% Glycerin. Its made by Humco and was bought at Walmart for about $4 / 6 FL Oz. I don't know if its PG or just straight Glycerin [Is that possible or does it have to be PG or VG?) I have read some say its VG and some say its Synthetic. Now I am really confused.

Last edited:

michael dubya

Moved On
Jan 29, 2012
great britain
  • Deleted by uba egar320

horndog

Aug 3, 2011
Californai
I have developed a cough after vaping for 5 months. I don’t cough when inhaling, but at night. I am hardly getting any sleep because of it. During the day I cough a little, but mostly at night. It’s a dry cough.
Never really coughed that much when I was smoking. About a month ago I had a bad problem with throat clearing. Now that is pretty much gone, but the cough is here. Will try going back the few brands I vaped when starting out to see if that makes a difference. Hopefully that makes a difference, but I doubt it, as I’ve kind of been doing that already. This is driving me nuts and odd that it has started 5 months after quitting analogs and beginning vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread