FDA "Smokers" support Nanny-State when it comes to e-cigs..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Maybe not so much "supporting it" as becoming resigned to it.
In other words, not doing anything at all to fight it.

Which is what WE should NOT allow to happen.

We probably should have done that when WE were smokers...
But most of us felt guilty about it so we kept our mouths shut and let them do what they did.

I never felt guilty about smoking, except for smoking indoors till our son was 9 -- it shouldn't have taken me that long to see it was affecting him pretty seriously, but I was just going on the fact that I was around cigarette smoke constantly since birth, which didn't affect me nearly as badly as it did him, and with him, it was only my smoke, no other. But I guess it affects everyone differently.

But otherwise, no, no guilt about something I enjoyed; fear of the ultimate outcome of smoking, yes, but no guilt. But I didn't feel like there was anything to be done about being marginalized -- the smoke nazis seemed to be the "cool kids" that everyone wanted to cater to and placate. My experience with "cool kids" in high school was that it was best to just ignore them and hope they ignored me, but object to anything they did? I knew how far that would get me. :D

I've felt marginalized my whole life, so the experience of it with smoking was nothing new or different.

Andria

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I don't think cigarettes smelled as bad in the 60's thru 80's as they do now. I've even had never-smoker friends tell me that. I don't know what the difference is. Nobody went outside to smoke. Nonsmokers kept ashtrays for guests.

As for the health benefits of nicotine, I won't be surprised if the FDA hands this industry over to BT. They will kill it in a short time and hand liquid nic over to BP while they go after that up and coming undesirable plant matter market. In 10 years, nic will be BP's wonder drug.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I don't think cigarettes smelled as bad in the 60's thru 80's as they do now. I've even had never-smoker friends tell me that. I don't know what the difference is. Nobody went outside to smoke. Nonsmokers kept ashtrays for guests.

As for the health benefits of nicotine, I won't be surprised if the FDA hands this industry over to BT. They will kill it in a short time and hand liquid nic over to BP while they go after that up and coming undesirable plant matter market. In 10 years, nic will be BP's wonder drug.

your thinking is right along with my thoughts.
the slight difference is i see BT marketing and selling
cigalikes with tamper proof carto's filled with BP's
e-juice manufactured to a purity of parts per trillions
in their hermetically sealed clean labs.
of course all of this at the appropriate price point.
:2c:
regards
mike

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I completely agree with that, for all the reasons you named. But the ANTZ are sly and sneaky. If we go along with even 1 small part of their demonize-vaping strategy, it won't be long before vapers are viewed thru the same closed-minded, hysterical lens as smokers. If we say, ok, we'll give you this much, they'll smile, and feel vindicated... and next year, it'll be a bit more... the year after, a bit more... before long, we'll be out back by the dumpster with the smokers. For smoking, that's maybe warranted, because frankly, it smells like burning fecal matter, and the lingering stench it leaves is just sick-making. But it is not warranted one iota for vaping, which is not hazardous to bystanders whatever, leaves no lingering odor, and even fresh, is far less odorous than any kind of smoke.

We may not win the fight to have vaping accepted everywhere, but if we give in, they'll just keep taking and taking and taking... They will not be satisfied by anything except our complete submission to their "end-game"... or our deaths. And they don't care which it is.

Andria

All I can say is that the ANTZ are far more selfish, smug, and dictatorial than they accuse smokers and vapers of being. With that in mind, we have to fight tooth and nail against the ANTZ end game of imposing their will on us.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
All I can say is that the ANTZ are far more selfish, smug, and dictatorial than they accuse smokers and vapers of being. With that in mind, we have to fight tooth and nail against the ANTZ end game of imposing their will on us.
And with that, I will have to post this again...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It explains the very essence of what you've said in your post.
And it explains it in their own words.

Come and see what they have in mind for us.
Come and see.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
What's our game plan..?

Tell any smokers, if there are actually any who support regulation - I think Lara is on to something - to stop suffering from Stockholm syndrome and get a pair and whatever the equivalent is for females.

Elect people who would have no problem abolishing the FDA, EPA and IRS (and others in the alphabet soup of agencies). It may take a while, but if we want to maintain/regain personal liberties, it's the only solution. And for those whose products would harm - there should be laws, not regulations, that if guilty, should be punished to the fullest extent - no plea bargaining for others' crimes - Straight to jail, do not pass go.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Elect people who would have no problem abolishing the FDA, EPA and IRS (and others in the alphabet soup of agencies). It may take a while, but if we want to maintain/regain personal liberties, it's the only solution.
I had hopes for that 30 years ago. I fear we are now beyond the point where that is possible; they're too deeply entrenched and too much of the population has become dependent on them, both financially and psychologically. As evidence I offer you this very forum, where a majority appears to favor at least some "regulation" of vaping. :facepalm:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I had hopes for that 30 years ago. I fear we are now beyond the point where that is possible; they're too deeply entrenched and too much of the population has become dependent on them, both financially and psychologically. As evidence I offer you this very forum, where a majority appears to favor at least some "regulation" of vaping. :facepalm:

The majority of vapers want regulation- as per the link-

Overall, researchers found that while 90 percent of respondents were aware of e-cigarettes, nearly two-thirds (62.5 percent) did not know the devices are unregulated. A majority (83.5 percent) of all respondents also agreed that e-cigarettes should be FDA regulated. This number included 77.9 percent of current e-cigarette users. Nearly 87 percent of all respondents and 78 percent of e-cigarette users agreed that e-cigarettes should carry warning labels about potential risks, and a majority of respondents also agreed the devices should have the same legal age of sale as other tobacco products (87.7 percent all respondents; 91.8 percent current e-cigarette users).

"One finding of note in this work is that nearly two-thirds of respondents did not realize e-cigarettes are not regulated under any government agency -- possibly leading to a false sense of security about the safety of the devices. But when respondents were prompted, a vast majority of them believed they should be regulated by the FDA for both quality and safety. As the FDA prepares to issue a final rule regarding e-cigarette regulation, it is important to have such data," notes Dr. Wackowski, who is the lead author and principal investigator of the study.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...thought I'd offer this up again.

We don't need no regulation
We don't need no vape control
No dark sarcasm in the back room
Bureaucrat leave them vapes alone
Hey! Bureaucrat! Leave them vapes alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

- thanks to Roger Waters

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It all depends on what the regulation is...
No, actually it doesn't. I find it quite sad that so many people will argue over how strict their nanny's rules should be rather than proclaiming, "Hey, we're adults. We don't need and won't accept a nanny at all!"

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No, actually it doesn't. I find it quite sad that so many people will argue over how strict their nanny's rules should be rather than proclaiming, "Hey, we're adults. We don't need and won't accept a nanny at all!"

We don't live in fantasy utopia land where laws and regulations dont exist. The very fact that e-nic is not regulated is why it will be. The Deciders won't allow a $billion industry to exist in a non regulated gray area. Thats fantasy...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I didn't say exactly how long it would take. Only, that it is the only solution :) I don't think it's 'the majority' of people here. Just the majority of posts sometimes. Some want to continue the conversation at any cost. And, imo, the cost is great.... in credibility and respect. :facepalm:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
We don't live in fantasy utopia land where laws and regulations dont exist. The very fact that e-nic is not regulated is why it will be. The Deciders won't allow a $billion industry to exist in a non regulated gray area. Thats fantasy...

if its a product sold in the USA it is already regulated under
existing law with to many regulations to quote here.
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread