SmokeStik Ultra (eGo style) beta test thread.....post your findings here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Thanks everyone! So far you have all done an amazing job for us. You will still get your 50% coupons but for everyone that leaves a review, no matter how long or short, once we have the product in stock you will each get a package of coils as our way of thanking you for doing such a fabulous job. You have really exceeded our expectations in the amount of effort you each put in to this. We appreciate it very much.

I will definately keep this list of people for upcoming tests. I'm sure we will be wanting to test our batteries as well.

My personal only issue with these tanks, like you, was the drip tip. I hate it. I have over 100 drip tips in my collection and would love to be able to use them . Plus I totally agree about how unsightly the condensation is. I will try my hardest to get this changed but I know the first round of them has already been made. Of course if I am sucessful in getting them changed I'm sure we will want to test those too. ;)

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa
i sooo love this!!
i used it all weekend.
i have evods also but i pifed most of them as they really werent my cup of tea so to speak but this tank is a different story!
it takes what ever i throw at it and not one burnt taste!
i have used it on a vamo5,evic,svd,glv mini and
my zmax and different spinners and its still a pleasure to vape!i have used it at the highest setting also!
my juices r high in vg and i also have some wta and net liquids and they vape beautifully in this tank even with back to back hits!
i would definitely recommend these to anyone for a great vaping experience!
ty for the opportunity to get to try these bad boys!! what a joy they r to vape.
have not had to clean one yet!
will be looking forward to getting more and some extra heads!:toast:

only thing i would change it the drip tip as i like to change my tips:).

Last edited by a moderator:

yasmin817

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Hopewell, NJ, USA
My review thus far ....

Pros:

Looks and feels a lot like an evod; sturdy, good quality, and good looking. Very easy to take apart, clean, fill, and put back together with only 3 pieces to worry about that all screw together smoothly and a knurled base for gripping.

Played around with different voltage from 3.2 to 4.8 on my 900 spinner, 2 different 1300 spinners, and MVP2. I found my comfort zone at 4.0-4.2 volts, MVP reads the coil at 2.5 ohms. No dry hits, no gurgling., no major leakage, no juice in my mouth. Nice smooth hit with lots of vapor every time.

First fill up was with Vape Tree mango smoothie 20PG/80VG 12mg. No problems. Ran the tank all the way down then refilled with MBV Spurberry max VG 12mg just to see what would happen with the thicker juice. Had no problems with wicking except when I chain vaped at a voltage over 4.6, I would get a little burnt taste, but no dry hits at all.

Cons:

The draw is a bit airy for my tastes, so I have been covering one of the airholes with my finger to suit my fancy.

Condensation collects on the inside of the clear plastic drip tip (purely cosmetic disadvantage), I prefer metal for cleaning purposes.

There has been a trivial amount of leakage onto the battery contact from the center post, but I'm finding this is common with bottom fed coils, including protanks.

It's plastic, so it can't be loaded with tank crackers.

Overall:

Not a bad little tank. Performs well and easy to use!

Thank you for the opportunity to be a beta tester!! I will look forward to testing and reviewing other products for you in the future!!

maddogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
dog house
I used my tank this weekend.
very easy to fill, did not have any leakage at all.
I vape mainly tobacco vapes at 50/50,some are dark others are not,
but I did not have any gunking issues at all.
I use ego twists and didn't have any issues with it.
its not a airy vape to me.
I like it just the way it is!
I to would like to be able to change tips but its not a deal breaker for me tho.
I don't vape any tank crackers so I didn't have this problem ither.
thank you for letting me try these. the work perfect for me and the way I vape.
I even dropped it at work and it didn't break.

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
Still using this tank, I love it! no leaking, no gurgling when almost empty. Did a dry burn to get the burnt on juice off the coil and still vaping like a champ. And I vape alot...lol so this is getting a good workout.

Only thing, and I think it's coming from the condensation. When I tip it upside down to fill I'm getting liquid in my had, but nothing that a paper towel doesn't solve.

This tank will most likely be a daily user because of how light it is. I find it's even a tad lighter than my regular evod tank.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
I do have to say on day three and this baby is going to be one of my always filled tanks to use.
I guess you can say, I love this one as it is my now go to tank to use while doing my outside chores and taking care of the ranch and Farm. It has dropped a couple of times but being it falls on grass or dirt, no problem except to dust her off...
Thanks again for the use and testing of this great little tank.

NicksCloud

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
USA
Mine just arrived and I really dig the design. My first impression was "wow, this is sexy!". I like the long side windows and the clear tip, it is sleek looking for sure! It looks a lot more like a RBA than a clearomizer style tank. I think that will be appealing to a lot of vapers who enjoy ego's and more.

Filling is as easy as an iClear 30s style cartomizer and I enjoy the airy draw a lot. In fact I prefer a draw just like this for good lung hits. The threading is solidly constructed. So far the wicks are absorbing fine and it works great on my Spinner II at around 3.8v I'll play around with it some more with different juices and plop it on my Vamo tomorrow and see how it performs at higher voltage (although I know it's not designed for those) as I am curious about performance and lifespan.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this - it's a keeper for certain and looks just as good sitting next to my bigger tanks like the Nautilus. It definitely does not look right sitting next to my clearo's :).

_JB_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Michigan
My tank arrived today. I looked it over real well and compared it to similar tanks I already have. I tested the resistance in my MVP and got 2.4 ohms. I see it is a single coil tank and I like that as I have yet to find a duel coil tank that works well for me. I filled the tank about 3/4 of the way with some Bionic Vapor "Ground Breaking" which is a 50/50 mix. I let the wick absorb juice for a good 20 minutes just to be sure it was good and wet. I used my MVP set at 7.5 watts. The first 10 or so vapes tasted very muted and produced less vapor than I am used to, then things started to improve, both vapor production and flavor are now on par with the similar tanks I own. I have only vaped about 1ml of juice so far in this tank and my first impressions are positive. I will report more after I get a chance to put 2 or 3 tanks through it.

_JB_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Michigan
Ok feel free to leave your findings here, chit chat about the tanks, compare notes....it's all good. Here's a sneak preview of what the product will look like. let me know what you think. Everyone that participated will be getting a 50% off coupon code once the product arrives for an Ultra Kit. Don't hold me to this but I think current pricing has them set at under $40 Target date for release is July 1st Cheers!!

View attachment 345754

These are some of the classiest looking battery/tank combos I have seen.

_JB_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Michigan
No VV yet....this is our first foray away from the cigalike so we are taking it one step at a time to make sure everything is right. Like Cat just mentioned it is patterned after the Evod but it IS different in several ways. She just noticed a couple of them so I'm happy about that. Here is another battery style....I'll be working on 3 more today.....please feel free to let me know what you (anyone) thinks of the different looks.

View attachment 345779

The shiny finish and stand out logo's look nice to me and very well done too. On the other hand I know some people that prefer less bold logo's and a dull finish. As far as the clear mouthpiece goes, I like it, I will be better able to see when cleaning is needed.

tick22

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Vanceboro, NC
I like the look of the battery in post 4 best of all. Not to bold and very nice looking. Compared to the ones in the first post. The logo flows more to me with the one in post 4 while the ones in the first post looks like almost everyone elses to a degree..

I do agree a choice of shiny or dull would be nice..
Shiny for going out, dull for the around the job or yard working... I work outside and know the shiny stuff gets acared up pretty bad, dull does not show it as much..

just my 2 cents....

dshgr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Western Maryland
Ok feel free to leave your findings here, chit chat about the tanks, compare notes....it's all good. Here's a sneak preview of what the product will look like. let me know what you think. Everyone that participated will be getting a 50% off coupon code once the product arrives for an Ultra Kit. Don't hold me to this but I think current pricing has them set at under $40 Target date for release is July 1st Cheers!!

View attachment 345754

I like the pink one.

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa
love the pink too!!!!!!

View attachment 345754

atisa

May 7, 2014
NC, USA
I have to confess that I have never been a fan of any BDC tanks. This is based on my experience using a Kanger EVOD BDC clearomizer and an Aspire BDC glassomizer. They almost always leak, they severely mute flavors (imho), and I almost always end up with a handful of juice when unscrewing them from the battery when changing tanks. So I didn’t have very high expectations going into this beta test from the very beginning. Having confessed my dislikes of BDC tanks… here are my test findings:

I received my tank Saturday night. Right off the bat I was extremely impressed with the fast shipping, so in that respect, I heartily give my kudos to Smoke Stik! I have had this test tank in use for three days now.

Upon opening my package I noticed that this tank looked very similar to the EVOD BDC tank. It is just a hair slimmer, and also just a slight bit shorter. The weight is pretty much the same as the EVOD tank. There are two air holes, as opposed to the three on the EVOD tank. The test tank has a non-removable, clear drip tip… just like the EVOD tank. This non-removable tip is not a favorite of mine because it makes it harder to clean. I also do not care for the clear tip as it shows all the condensation from the vapor. These are minor cosmetic things… but still something I do not care for personally. The inner tubing running from the drip tip is slightly longer and slightly thinner than the EVOD tank. Due to this, both tanks hold roughly the same amount of liquid; however, the longer tubing of the test tank does tend to get in the way a little when trying to fill the tank with the fat dropper tip on some of my e-juice bottles. This is not a deal breaker for me… just an observation.

The bottom of the test tank has a very nice, deeply etched gripper pattern. Easy to find, easy to feel. The comparison of the EVOD tank is night and day, as the EVOD tank has a smooth ring. The Aspire BDC tank has a similar etched pattern with major differences… the Aspires’ etched pattern does not go all the way to the bottom and is not etched as deeply, making it harder to feel when grasping it to unscrew. All in all, I prefer the etched grip on the test tank over the other two. Another kudo to Smoke Stik! I never once accidently opened the tank when removing it from the battery. No wet hands, no lost juice. My hands and my wallet thank you for that!

Next, I unscrewed the bottom to take out the coil head (atty). The head is just a little longer than the EVOD head… and a lot skinnier and longer than the Aspire head. Both the EVOD and Aspire heads are smooth which makes them hard to grasp to remove… both wet and dry. The test tanks head has recessed slits (or depressions… not sure how to describe this) which makes it extremely easy to grasp and turn both wet and dry. For that alone I sincerely thank you Smoke Stik. Kuddos again!

I went to blow out the factory lubricant from the coil/wick and to my surprise… nothing came out. I decided to not wash the coil head and just fill the tank instead. Classic rookie move, I know. But I wanted to see how it would taste… and I did this on purpose. Normally this would ruin the entire experience of vaping for the life of that atty… but I took a chance anyway.

Knowing that this tank is made out of that poly plastic, I decided against using any tank cracking juices. Instead, I chose to use the lightest flavored juice I have. I filled the tank with 18mg, 50/50 pg/vg, Caramel Cappuccino. This is one juice I can barely even taste in a carto or on a drip tip.

I decided to test this tank on my cheapest and lowest performing battery. My reason for this is two-fold: I wanted to simulate the experience on equipment that a complete vaping newbie might be starting out with; and, I also knew that the other experienced vaperors (?) would be putting this tank to the test with all their equipment (vv, vw, high mAh batteries, etc). The battery I used was my cheap $10, blister-pack, 650 mAh, EVOD-V battery. It is vv with the settings of 3.5V, 3.7V, 3.9V, and 4.1V.

Now I know that I have seriously set this tank up to be a complete fail for me. But hey, this is a test right? I figured I might as well put it to the ultimate test and make as many known mistakes I could to see how it would perform. I also went so far as to only let it sit and wick for 10 minutes and then attach it to a nearly dead battery (you know… the point at which the battery starts to not put out much taste, throat hit, or smoke cloud).

I attached the tank, set the battery on the lowest setting of 3.5V and took a vape. Hmmm, got some smoke cloud and a tiny bit of throat hit. No flavor…. Not even that horrible factory taste. Ok this is not anything special. Took my second vape. What’s this? Did I really detect a little flavor of my caramel cappuccino? Can’t be! Took my third vape. OMG! I actually tasted the flavor! It wasn’t a powerful flavor, but it was actually there. I turned the setting up to the 3.7V and vaped again. Yes, yes… there is more flavor. Upped the settings again to 3.9V and vaped again. WooHoo! Full flavor. Wonderful flavor. I think I like this!!! Okay, I know that if I up the settings to 4.1V this is gonna burn the juice… but I have to try it for the sake of the test. Up the volts go and… no burnt taste. Really? Tried again. Still no burnt taste. This is great… except my battery is about to completely die so I have to go and charge it. So far I have nothing but thumbs up for this tank.

I put the battery on charge and decided to empty the tank, wash it, and change the flavors. I rinsed the tank and head under warm running water. Shook out the water, blew out the head, took a paper towel and dried the wick. I had a pretty hard time getting the paper towel into the tank to dry it out. I couldn’t get a Q-tip in either. So I shook it out and blew into it until I didn’t see any more water droplets. I put another juice in. This time it was an 18mg, 50/50 pg/vg, Toasted Almond. I let it sit and wick until my battery was charged.

In the course of my testing I also used an 18mg, 60/40, Peanut Butter Cup… and an 18mg, 70/30, Orange Creamsicle.

Here is the rest of what I learned over the three days I have used this tank exclusively (not including what I already mentioned above):

Pros:

• Nice smooth brushed stainless steel tank.
• Easy to see through windows.
• Excellent flavor (even at the lowest settings). Nothing was ever muted.
• I did not experience any dry hits (even when pushed to the limits of vaping quickly one after another).
• The bottom of the tank did not ever get very hot. A little warm, but nothing that ever got hot to the touch.
• No matter how much I tried, I never got one burnt taste.
• Never once heard a gurgling or popping sound. Actually, this tank is pretty quiet.
• Never experienced any juice in my mouth (even while lying down on the couch watching Game of Thrones).
• Never once did I ever accidently open the tank during the many, many removals from the battery. A total first for me!
• E-juice change was extremely quick and easy.
• One tank lasted me 24 hours. I did not have to refill for the whole day… yea!
• Great vape cloud.

Cons:

• Not glass, so I can’t use any tank cracking juices.
• I did notice a little leaking on the battery from the tank when the juice level was down to 1/3 full.
• Light and airy draw. Not as bad as most… but still not my preference. I did get used to it and adapt to it.

All in all, this is a great little tank. The complete newbie is gonna have a hard time ruining it with classic rookie mistakes in their excitement to try it. The experienced person it gonna love the flavor, clouds, and throat hits it delivers. As for me personally… I am completely impressed with it. This tank has changed my opinion of BDC tanks and will now be my go to vape equipment preference. I can’t wait until they are available and the replacement heads too. Thank you for letting me test this and kudos Smoke Stik! You have made a believer out of me. Now if only you would make a glass one…

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
Well you did it smokesitck, You made me pack away my evod. After deciding to give the tester tank a break today I went and used my evod. Got gurgling from it and said nope not anymore. Washed it out and packed it away. I do not get any leakage from your tank and no gurgles.

Now you just need to get this in a burgundy color :)

On a note coil is still going strong, great flavor and vape. Ohms did jump from 2.5 to 2.8 not much of a difference in performance. vapes like day one. :)

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
My review: I used Backwoods Brew's Applewood Tobacco e-liquid.(24mg-70pg/30vg).I've been through 10 tanks(am vaping #11), and all the refills have been 1 ml of liquid, could've added just a little more though.The coil measures 2.5 ohms. I used a 510 to Ego adapter all throughout.

Tanks 1 and 2: Vaped on a Volcano Inferno(3.4 volts). Took 3 or 4 puffs to get up to speed, then worked flawlessy. No leaks or gurgles at all. Good flavor and good vapor for 3.4v, certainly much better than the tankomizer system I had started vaping with. I normally like a little more oomph in my vape, a 1.8 ohm coil option may be a good idea if these are going to be sold with a 3.4v regulated battery.

Tanks 3 and 4: Now vaping on a Volcano Lavatube V1, set to 4.2 volts. Still no gurgles or leaks. Flavors still good and there is more vapor now. This is much closer to how I normally vape. No complaints, the tank is working well.

Tanks 5 thru 8: Still on the Lavatube, but now at 4.5v. This is where I would normally vape this coil, everything is perfect and the tank is just chugging along without a one gurgle, leak, or dry hit through 8 tanks now. Not much else to say, just vaping how it should be.

Tanks 9 and 10: Started vaping the 9th tank at 4.5v. During the second half of the 9th tank I noticed a tightening of the draw(not too bad), and some flavor and vapor loss. The coils getting dirty. If this were normal circumstances I would now know to change the coil after 8 tanks for this setup, but since it's a test, I'll just crank up the volts a bit. That's what I would do anyway in a situation where I coud'nt change the coil for some reason, so, up to 5v we go. It's not a perfect vape now, but it would get me by till i could change the coil. Still no gurgling or leaking, the vapor is'nt to bad, but the flavor at this point is definitely lacking.

Genaral thoughts: The tank worked great, pretty much without a hitch, seems like a great performer for the new and for the experienced. I woud definately keep the knurling on the base, it helps alot, easy to fill. I like the mouthpiece, it's a compfortable size and shape. I don't mind seeing the condensation, it looks cool, and lets you know when to cean it out, before you dump some juice in your mouth. The clear mouthpiece also helped me out when in low light conditions. I could'nt see the level of the liquid very well looking at the slots on the side of the tank, but if i turned everything upside down i could see if there were even a few drops of liquid left because it would pool at the base of the mouthpiece. If the coil head I got is how they all will be, then there is no need to change anything, works great.

All in all a great functioning and trouble free tank experince. I give it an A+

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
Here is my unbiased review which you can use for internal reasons.

Upon receiving my Ultra Tank I as many others have noted that it does look very similar to the Kanger EVOD v1 BCC. I first noticed that there is a knurled texture on the base of the tank which made it very easy to screw and unscrew the base from the body of the unit and from personal experience this would allow the user to successfully unscrew the tank from the ego threads on their battery without unscrewing the base from the body and dumping the liquid all over the place. I really liked this feature and I also noticed that when I unscrewed the base from the body of the unit that there is an o-ring in the bottom to ensure that no liquid leaks out of the seam between the two pieces and it also aids in keeping the two together when unscrewing the tank from your battery. Looking on the inside of the tank I noticed that the chimney is a bit thicker than the Kanger EVOD. The look of the tank is very sleek (I received the Stainless Steel version) and the machining on the tank is very clean and scratch free with no sharp edges or burrs on the metal around the bottom of the tank or around the viewing window.

When I went to screw the tank onto my eGo battery the first thing that I noticed was how well the threads on the tank lined up on the eGo threads of my Smok Winder. It was very smooth and it stopped at the correct height to allow a good connection with the battery and the positive pin on the bottom of the coil head. The tank does not have the ability to be tightened down too much so that it would impede the airflow through the coil head like I have experienced with an EVOD before.

The liquid I used as a test trial which is an ADV for me is a DIY Strawberry Lemonade 12mg 50/50 blend so I am very familiar with what the flavor tastes like and what the vapor production is like when it is set to different voltages on my Smok Winder.

With my first fill of the tank I primed the wicks and let the tank sit for 5 minutes so that the wicks would be fully soaked in e-liquid and ready to vape. I checked the resistance of the coil and it came out to 2.5 ohms. I set my battery's voltage to 3.7v in order to simulate a standard constant voltage eGo battery that a new vaper may purchase. The first few puffs seemed a little weak to me and did not produce very much flavor, vapor, or throat hit. I figured this was just because it was a new coil and needed some breaking in and needed a tank run through it before it got nice and seasoned and perform at the best of it's ability. I refilled the tank and started vaping again and the flavor and vapor production did get better but the throat hit was still not really there. So I turned the voltage up to 4.2v and the flavor was a little better, the vapor production did not change much, and the throat hit increased. I simulated a chain vaper and took 5 hits back to back and I did notice that the wicks tended to dry up after the third hit and I got that nasty dry hit taste that some top coil clearos give when they do not have sufficient wicking ability or when you don't do the tilt motion to resoak the wicks. I let it sit for about a minute and the wicks were wet again so I continued vaping like I normally do (taking 2 or three puffs every minute or so). The tank was able to keep up when I took shorter hits but it did not produce much flavor IMO. Filled 2 more tanks and the flavor was tasting burnt when I tried to take more than one hit consecutively with a voltage set to anything over 4.2v.

I did not notice any gurgling or leaking with the Ultra Tank which is definitely a pro in my book because with EVODs I would tend to get some gurgling every now and then when chain vaping or when leaving it to sit overnight. That was not the case with the Ultra Tank. The airflow on the knurled base was done really well and it provides a nice draw without being too open or tight compared to the EVOD. I really liked the o-ring on the bottom portion of the base that screws into the body to create a seal. I never once unscrewed the base from the body when trying to take the tank off of my battery. The overall quality of the vape with the coil and tank I received would rank at a 6 because of the fact that the flavor was not that strong at 3.7v on tanks 1-4 and I would tend to get some dry hits every now and then when setting the battery to anything over 4.2v and when I would take more than 3 consecutive hits.

So I did what I do with all my coil heads when I suspect that there may be a problem with tasting burnt or any problem. I took the chimney off the coil head and inspected the coil itself. I took the flavor wicks off and here is what I saw after giving it a cleaning and dry burn (sorry for low res pic I used iPhone):

h3dDgxv.jpg

It appears that some of the coils on the right side of the picture are wrapped tighter than the ones on the left. In my experience with coil heads this is what causes a nasty burnt taste because there is not wick completely touching the coil in certain spots and is causing hot spots or it is wrapped too tight on the wick and is choking off the ability to wick effeciently. I know it is monotonous and a bit of a PITA but since there is a lot of talk about buying replacement heads and a certain amount of them not working well and tasting burnt (especially with Nautilus heads recently) I would advise the coil manufacturers to put in some type of quality control protocols to make sure that the coils are wrapped uniformly across the length of the wick so that every head that the consumer receives will work to its full potential. I know that I am being nit-picky but I wanted to make Smoke Stik aware of any little flaw that I saw with my product so that they can put out a product that amazes new vapers and makes them want to continue to buy products from you which in turn ensures that your business prospers.

After taking into account the problem with the coil head that I received I would give the Ultra Tank a 6 out of 10 because it is designed very well aesthetically and all the parts and seals are solid and doesn't produce any leaking or gurgling that similar style tanks tend to do.

If the coil head did not have any hotspots or choking of the wick I would definitely rate my experience with the Ultra Tank higher and I appreciate the chance to review your product and wish you the best with your business. I would love to review any other products you guys come out with and give you my honest opinion and suggestions on them.

Thank you Smoke Stik!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread