Smoking, vaping, and hair loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
I've switched to vaping the past nine months. While I haven't been totally analog-free until the last few months (it took some time before I found the complete and satisfactory setup for me), I have noticed many changes in my body. Like most of us, I can now breathe better, taste food, and exercise more. I'm very happy.

Now, there is ample research that indicates that smoking causes hair loss. I'm only 24 (25 in two weeks) but like many men of my age, many male friends of mine, I've been paranoid about receding hairlines and balding. It can start at this age, or even earlier, right? I know that my hair line isn't like it used to be, perhaps because of genetics, bad habits like smoking, nutrition, stress, and many factors. Smoking probably factored in on the equation, at least in my case.

I recently noticed that when I shampoo my hair, I no longer get like 10 or more strands left on my hands. Oftentimes I don't find a single strand. My work place also doesn't get littered with fallen hair strands that much anymore. I didn't really look like a bad case before but I was very concerned about premature balding. Now, optimistically, I'd like to presume that quitting analogs and picking up vaping has helped slow down, if not stop, the balding process.

We've all experienced the good stuff that vaping brings, but has anyone else experienced improved hair health? This goes out especially to younger vapers who may have been suffering premature balding/abnormal hair loss that usually is caused by smoking. I know this improvement should come with other quitting methods, but since we are vapers and this is a vaping forum, perhaps we can discuss another aspect of health that our hobby and passion can be beneficial to.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I don't know what to say about that. I have not heard that correlation.

Inasmuch as I smoked for 25+ years and I have a mane of hair that would make my Avatar jealous, I have done little research. Good luck to those of you less fortune in the matter of follicles! May vaping prevent your loss of hair.

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
The largest determinant by far is genetics (or God if you prefer), the male pattern baldness gene is passed down via the female line, the simplest way to determine whether you are likely to go bald at a young age is to look at your mother's father, if he went bald young then the odds are that you will too.

Too bad not even my mother herself knew her father. :confused:

Yeah, I know genetics could be the largest culprit. But perhaps smoking could still be a major factor if you already have that genetic disadvantage, I'd like to think, and quitting, through vaping could help. My hair's thicker than my younger brother's (he's just 22) and perhaps I could add hairline benefits to the existing reasons to use to convince him to switch.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Unfortunately, vaping has affected the COLOR of my hair. Full head of hair, but it's turning gray.... :ohmy:
Any flavors known to STOP it? :p
(May have to go to the Grecian Formula, barring a miricale anti-greying flavor.)

On a more serious note, smoking analogs is well-known to cause faster greying of the hair, IIRC.

Last edited:

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
Too bad not even my mother herself knew her father. :confused:

Yeah, I know genetics could be the largest culprit. But perhaps smoking could still be a major factor if you already have that genetic disadvantage, I'd like to think, and quitting, through vaping could help. My hair's thicker than my younger brother's (he's just 22) and perhaps I could add hairline benefits to the existing reasons to use to convince him to switch.

I think balding is one of those things where people clutch at straws to try and explain why it is happening to them rather than accept it is the same reason their hair is black or blonde. If there was significant causal links then I am sure they would be well known at this point in time.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
They will blame smoking on anything. When I was in the army, I went to the doctor because I threw my back out.
Doctor: "Do you SMOKE?"
Me: "Yes, I smoke a pipe"
Doctor: "we'll stop smoking and these things would not happen!"
:rolleyes:

Back on topic:
My dad lost all his hair (except a line of it in the back) before he was 17. He smoked from the age of 19 to 25, then quit. I don't think you could blame smoking on that.
I started getting a receding hairline and a bald spot when I moved into a high stress group. Since I was smoking at the time, I'm sure that some idiot will blame it on the smoking instead of the stress. Every time I'm under a lot of stress, my hairline recedes and my bald spot gets balder... Let a logical person decide if it has something to do with smoking or stress.

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
Sorry to be the hammer but you're likely engaging in wishful thinking if you believe vaping will ...... or reverse hair loss.

I started losing hair at 22 although it has been a slow burn--I still have some decent coverage. Almost 20 years later, it's been the least of my problems to be honest. You just have to cut your hair short and own it.

Are you immediately less attractive to the opposite (or same) sex? On average, yes. I'm not going to lie.

Even so, hair is only one factor in the equation. Want to compensate? Get an education and career that you find fulfilling. Don't be a .........--be a good friend and take care of people around you. Exercise generosity, honesty and courage at all times. Develop a meaningful, committed life that extends beyond your own narrow individual concerns. Stay active and fit. Get out in the world and cultivate a diverse group of friends. Never act out of desperation or ressentiment. Maintain a strong sense of humor. Don't be afraid of risking yourself in love. I could go on.

The point is to become a better person, because an attractive person w/out hair is still an attractive person.

At that point you can think of your thinning hair as screening out the superficial idiots that would otherwise waste your time. ;)

:2c:

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Sorry to be the hammer but you're likely engaging in wishful thinking if you believe vaping will ...... or reverse hair loss.

I started losing hair at 22 although it has been a slow burn--I still have some decent coverage. Almost 20 years later, it's been the least of my problems to be honest. You just have to cut your hair short and own it.

Are you immediately less attractive to the opposite (or same) sex? On average, yes. I'm not going to lie.

Even so, hair is only one factor in the equation. Want to compensate? Get an education and career that you find fulfilling. Don't be a .........--be a good friend and take care of people around you. Exercise generosity, honesty and courage at all times. Develop a meaningful, committed life that extends beyond your own narrow individual concerns. Stay active and fit. Get out in the world and cultivate a diverse group of friends. Never act out of desperation or ressentiment. Maintain a strong sense of humor. Don't be afraid of risking yourself in love. I could go on.

The point is to become a better person, because an attractive person w/out hair is still an attractive person.

At that point you can think of your thinning hair as screening out the superficial idiots that would otherwise waste your time. ;)

:2c:

Boom! Awesome post. I'm 32 and have been shaving my head with a razor for at least 5 years. So now I couldn't care less about my hair line (which is hereditary). Also since shaving my head, my most recent relationship with a girl was for about 4 years. Sure, I will admit that when you first discover the hair loss you go into a bit of a "panic"... but I PROMISE, it really doesn't matter. Some guys shave their head, some just buzz it short, and some balding guys cruise into their 50's and 60's still rocking pony tails. Who cares? Just be an awesome person. People will notice that more than long flowing shiny locks like an 80's metal singer. :D

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have my own take on this. I admit I am a female and I have excessively long hair.

I HAVE noticed changes in it. I am not sure if it is the increased water intake or stopping smoking but my hair seems STRONGER. Less likely to break off. Less strands in the drain or my brush.

I wonder if something like that isn't what the OP is seeing.

gully

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
New Zealand
I was bald by 30,facial hair was black with flecks of ginger which greyed through my 30's till no more ginger,just black and grey.

Been vaping 6mths and the ginger is back.

I attribute this to stopping smoking not starting vaping.

Would not know what to do with hair on my head anymore,it seems so inefficient.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Ive never heard that about cigs and baldness. I would very much doubt that its true. Im 54 and have a head of hair you would die for.

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't trade mine for any man's. Now, I do not doubt yours is also glorious, but I have never, ever been envious of any man or woman's hair I have ever laid eyes on.

To our locks, sir!

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Oh if only it did stop my hair from thinning. Unfortunately as others have said, it's just down to genetics and stress. I have noticed the hair at the front where it is thinning does seem in better condition than before. Maybe it's the better blood supply, I don't know :confused:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i have to admit its something i dont share often as everyone thinks im crazy, but after vaping 1 1/2 years now i see my hair is thicker, "so does my stylist" so i know its not my imagination. and while the hair is very thin right now i do see some areas filling back in.
balding is not in my family tree but many seem to have a high widows peak and mine is filling back in slowly and lightly but pictures from 2 years ago clearly show mine is moving forward..

my nails seem to grow faster and whiter too.

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
i have to admit its something i dont share often as everyone thinks im crazy, but after vaping 1 1/2 years now i see my hair is thicker, "so does my stylist" so i know its not my imagination. and while the hair is very thin right now i do see some areas filling back in.
balding is not in my family tree but many seem to have a high widows peak and mine is filling back in slowly and lightly but pictures from 2 years ago clearly show mine is moving forward..

my nails seem to grow faster and whiter too.

I wouldn't doubt smoking might have affected all that. I'm just wondering since you stopped smoking and started vaping maybe doing healthier things has spilled over to other areas of your life. It has for me. I find I'm taking better care of myself since I stopped using analogs, the main thing is I think I'm eating healthier and I'm certainly getting more exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread