Smoking/vaping and rheumatoid arthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
I was going to write the typical snugglenets intro post about my new found love for the e-cig.

However, a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and told that she had to quit smoking, as it is exacerbated by it. Since nicotine and smoking are pretty much synonymous in these discussions, it's hard to tell if it's the nicotine use, the smoke, or the chemicals in cigarettes that cause the problem.

Anyone here have RA and still vape? Symptoms better, worse, unchanged?

I understand that long term use has not been studied and that it's best for her to go on her doctor's advice. I'm looking for anecdotal stories for her if she does think about succumbing to the siren call of nicotine.

Thanks, and "hi".

Reactions: Abdulhadi

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Me. I'm a 62 yr old Gramma with RA, mostly affecting the hands, wrists, and fingers especially. I haven't figured out how to download/show my vap0meter, but I have gone to e cigs 100% for 58 days and 3 hours!
Not one cigarette since March 9th, the day I got my NPRO. People. this is a 44 year HEAVY SMOKER, 3 pack a day user. The worse I felt the more I smoked.
I do upholstery for a living here at home for well over 20 years. Not a good thing to do for a person with RA, but at my age it's kinda dumb to go work at McDonald's now. Certainly wouldn't pay, and that's about the only work around right now.
Am NOT feeling any side effects AT ALL as far as swelling, pain, etc., other than what I already had before. But I'll tell what I DO feel: WAY More energy, less fatigue, coughing has STOPPED, sleeping BETTER, less cross, my husband says I look better, and I think that is largely due to the capillaries in my face seem to be opening????? and the redness across my face (mask) is fading. My eyes are not all red. Sinus problems almost non-exsistent. I am HUNGRY all the time, gotta watch calories, my smell has returned, my COUGHING has STOPPED.....I could go on. So tell you friend to give it a try (watch PC or PV, she may have trouble with one or the other) but GO FOR IT!!
NO ONE was more amazed than I was (and a lot of people ARE amazed that Kathy QUIT SMOKING!) to be able on day one esmoking to walk away from a heavy habit. If I can sustain my present level of nicotine I will do this right up until they shut the lid on me. NO LIE. Am super-stocked up on batteries and atomizers and juice, because I'm afraid of being without, but am perfectly content with the little mechanical failures that are going to happen.
I CAN PUT UP WITH ANYTHING, JUST DON'T TAKE AWAY MY VAPOR. I would'nt be responsible for the consequences.

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
Am NOT feeling any side effects AT ALL as far as swelling, pain, etc., other than what I already had before.

I'll be sure and let her know. She's excited by all the other benefits of vaping, but as a newly-diagnosed RA sufferer, she is really reluctant to do anything that might make it worse.

She thinks that the Chantix may have triggered her RA, so I don't blame her for being jumpy.

Thank you for your reply. Congrats on your continued non-smoking!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
PPHTT! Chantix?? GET OFF IT. Vapor much safer, if you ask me. As I said, she may have trouble with the glycol mix, if she does she can change to PV and try that, but with taking any kind of drugs, if she is, she will have to just work it out. NO DOCTOR is going to say, Yeah, go ahead with the esmoke! If anybody is over-dosing on Nicotine with these, just cut back to a lighter density, but she is the boss here. NOT BIG BROTHER, NOT A $200 a minute DOCTOR, or the FDA. She is boss.

I am assuming she would be a light smoker, so should be a piece of cake for her to just stop smoking cigarettes. I don't think the nicotine is the culprit to all these illnesses, yah, it's addictive and toxic AT HIGH LEVELS.
So keep it away from kids and pets, ok?

GIVE HER MY BEST, and what a good friend you are!

Nephthys

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Denver
PPHTT! Chantix?? GET OFF IT.

Yeah, that stuff is evil.

Vapor much safer, if you ask me. As I said, she may have trouble with the glycol mix, if she does she can change to PV and try that, but with taking any kind of drugs, if she is, she will have to just work it out.

That's what I was thinking. Since RA is an irritationwhatsit (that's the new technical term), I thought I would suggest DYIing her juice and avoiding the PG. If she decides to try the e-cig route. If she can kick the nic on her own, cold turkey, more power to her.

GIVE HER MY BEST, and what a good friend you are!

I shall! Thank you!

Nephthys, Hope your friend has thrown out that Chantix. If she has trouble with the glycol in e-liquid, there is the non-glycol version made with a vegetable oil. I understand the only difference between PG and non-PG is that the non-PG tends to be a bit thicker. No difference in taste. One thing I learned the hard way is that the strength of my e-liquid needs to be quite low. Tell your friend to be patient and experiment until she finds what works for her. Good luck to you both.

I have RA, diagnosed almost two years ago. I don't think smoking has much effect on it. Doctors may tell you that, because some doctors blame every ailment in the world on smoking somehow. But I just started vaping, and do feel better - probably more to do with the coughing going away and more lung power than anything to do with RA.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I have RA, diagnosed almost two years ago. I don't think smoking has much effect on it. Doctors may tell you that, because some doctors blame every ailment in the world on smoking somehow. But I just started vaping, and do feel better - probably more to do with the coughing going away and more lung power than anything to do with RA.

Amen to that, but good for her to go cold turkey, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread