1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

smoktech bolt 18500 1600 mah mod

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette APV Reviews' started by tmv5791, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tmv5791

tmv5791 Full Member

just wondering if anyone has tried this tube mod and wonders what they think about it? i am considering either picking one up from litecigusa or crystal clear vaping any thoughts?

2. comptechltd

comptechltd Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

3. melkoren

melkoren Full Member

I just picked one of these up from a store in the DFW area. I am really enjoying it.

I also got a Low Resistance Dual Coil Cart Tank with the mod.

I have watched PBusardo's review and I noticed that his Bolt came with the same battery as mine.

I do not think that this battery is protected. Is that correct?

I really enjoy the mod, especially after a full charge. But, I wonder about the safety of this battery with a low resistance cart.

Will a PCB 18500 Battery fit in this mod? Are they the exact same diameter and length? If they are the same, what is a good brand of protected 18500 batteries? Truefire or something more expensive?

I like to take long vapes back to back, and this a great mod but I wonder about the battery.

4. tmv5791

tmv5791 Full Member

well i am considering getting a bolt from litecigusa.net and the batteries are green i dont know if yours is green but i wouldnt put too much thought into it you can go to madvapes.com and get some protected batteries or litehound.com and get aw imr high drain more expensive but they definately do last longer both mah wise and amount of charges before they go bad

5. melkoren

melkoren Full Member

I do have the green ones. I brought this up in another thread and I was told that they are protected. It makes me nervous that the SMOKtech site specifically says they aren't, but I was told they took them apart and there is a PBC chip inside.

Its a great little mod. I am getting an pair AW IMRs and a Pila charger for use with a LR DCT, and am looking for a good battery spring that will collapse in the event of a short.

With the new bat and spring not only will this mod make awesome clouds of vapor, but it will be safer to boot.

6. Kevin littell

Kevin littell Super Member ECF Veteran

I was going to buy one but bought a EGO-T 18650 mod instead....

Price compare.....They vape the same.

7. tepicky

tepicky Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The bolt is pretty decent. It vapes exactly the same as any mechanical mod at 3.7V. So, personally, I'd rather buy the bolt than, say, a silver bullet or a bb. My set up is exactly the same as Phil's review with the J-tank.

Btw, the green battery that comes with it is protected. I also picked up an AW as an extra batt, but personally, I don't see that much of a difference between the AW and the generic 18500 that the bolt usually comes with, if there's any. Though AW's are said to be safer.

My 2 cents

8. Slingnutt

Slingnutt Full Member

Where did you find one in the DFW area? I'm about 45 min SE of Dallas and shopping around for one.

Thanks in advance.

9. melkoren

melkoren Full Member

I got my Bolt from a store called DFWvapor in Lewisville.

Its on the North side of Dallas, if that helps.

The kit came with The Bolt, a DCT, 2 of the green batteries and a Trustfire charger.

Price was competitive and the staff was courteous to me.

One thing that might go wrong with a LR Carto on a EGO Battery MOD is that the switch they use is MOSFET and might go south with that set up, if I'm not mistaken.

Happy vaping.

10. FsckCigs

FsckCigs Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the eGo 18650 mod run at the standard eGo regulated voltage of 3.2ish, whereas the bolt (being mechanical) would run at 3.7 ? This would mean they don't actually vape quite the same...anyone know for sure? Trying to decide between the two...

11. tepicky

Correct me if im wrong, but the ego-t 18650, from what i read, is regulated at 3.5v. The bolt, like any other mechanical mod, is around 4.1v with freshly charged batts, but then slowly tapers down. The voltage drops to 3.0v when it's about to die, me thinks.

12. FsckCigs

FsckCigs Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ahh thanks, yes that is indeed more accurate, as I learn more about non-regulated/mechanical designs. But some people are reporting that their eGo mod does 3.3 under load...actually makes me wonder what Joye's tolerance ranges are.

13. tepicky

Why cant they make a 3.9v regulated ego so itll be 3.7v underload? Lol. And the ego-t was my first ecig. I got tired of the leaking. Single coil smoktech's worked pretty good with em though

14. silentbrains

silentbrains Full Member

A protected Trustfire 14500 is almost 2mm longer, and that fits (with fitting sleeve, even), so it should be okay. Good to know that the Smok battery that comes with the Bolt is protected though, thanks melkoren, tepicky.

The white plastic disc that holds the positive terminal is about 2mm thick and held inside the cap by friction and an inner flange, I wonder if the 2mm vent hole is sufficient, especially if the battery vents out the positive end. Ah well, I guess that means I'll never be stacking batteries with this mod. (but I guess I'd never trust anything except a plastic box mod for stacked batts)

15. silentbrains

silentbrains Full Member

Weird, I can't edit my post. Anyway, update, one of my bolts had something wrong with it, and in the process of fiddling with it it managed to form a short. The spring collapsed and there was no incident. Of course, I'm not going to reuse this battery or the faulty switch section, but the battery section and spring are salvagable.

16. tepicky

Well that stinks. Where'd u get urs from?

17. silentbrains

silentbrains Full Member

CCV, but they're all made by Smoktech so I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Honestly, at the first sign of trouble I should have returned it for a replacement, but I used it as an excuse to take one apart and see how it was made, so eh.

18. tepicky

Ah, id still try to contact them if i were you. You'll never know and u might save that $37

19. micksf

micksf Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i had a minor issue with my bolt, and CCV resolved it immediately - or course I didn't take it apart but might as well give them a try. they are good folks over there.

20. silentbrains

silentbrains Full Member

No doubt they are good people, but I've damaged this thing to the point I don't want to bother them with it. I think it was worth the money to educate myself about mods and a little about battery safety!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.