smoktech bolt 18500 1600 mah mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkoren

Jan 10, 2012
TX
I just picked one of these up from a store in the DFW area. I am really enjoying it.

I also got a Low Resistance Dual Coil Cart Tank with the mod.

I have watched PBusardo's review and I noticed that his Bolt came with the same battery as mine.

I do not think that this battery is protected. Is that correct?

I really enjoy the mod, especially after a full charge. But, I wonder about the safety of this battery with a low resistance cart.

Will a PCB 18500 Battery fit in this mod? Are they the exact same diameter and length? If they are the same, what is a good brand of protected 18500 batteries? Truefire or something more expensive?

I like to take long vapes back to back, and this a great mod but I wonder about the battery.

tmv5791

Jan 21, 2012
new york
well i am considering getting a bolt from litecigusa.net and the batteries are green i dont know if yours is green but i wouldnt put too much thought into it you can go to madvapes.com and get some protected batteries or litehound.com and get aw imr high drain more expensive but they definately do last longer both mah wise and amount of charges before they go bad

melkoren

Jan 10, 2012
TX
I do have the green ones. I brought this up in another thread and I was told that they are protected. It makes me nervous that the SMOKtech site specifically says they aren't, but I was told they took them apart and there is a PBC chip inside.

Its a great little mod. I am getting an pair AW IMRs and a Pila charger for use with a LR DCT, and am looking for a good battery spring that will collapse in the event of a short.

With the new bat and spring not only will this mod make awesome clouds of vapor, but it will be safer to boot.

tepicky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
The bolt is pretty decent. It vapes exactly the same as any mechanical mod at 3.7V. So, personally, I'd rather buy the bolt than, say, a silver bullet or a bb. My set up is exactly the same as Phil's review with the J-tank.

Btw, the green battery that comes with it is protected. I also picked up an AW as an extra batt, but personally, I don't see that much of a difference between the AW and the generic 18500 that the bolt usually comes with, if there's any. Though AW's are said to be safer.

My 2 cents

melkoren

Jan 10, 2012
TX
I got my Bolt from a store called DFWvapor in Lewisville.

Its on the North side of Dallas, if that helps.

The kit came with The Bolt, a DCT, 2 of the green batteries and a Trustfire charger.

Price was competitive and the staff was courteous to me.

One thing that might go wrong with a LR Carto on a EGO Battery MOD is that the switch they use is MOSFET and might go south with that set up, if I'm not mistaken.

Happy vaping.

Last edited:

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
I was going to buy one but bought a EGO-T 18650 mod instead....

Price compare.....They vape the same.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the eGo 18650 mod run at the standard eGo regulated voltage of 3.2ish, whereas the bolt (being mechanical) would run at 3.7 ? This would mean they don't actually vape quite the same...anyone know for sure? Trying to decide between the two...

silentbrains

Jan 1, 2012
Will a PCB 18500 Battery fit in this mod? Are they the exact same diameter and length?

A protected Trustfire 14500 is almost 2mm longer, and that fits (with fitting sleeve, even), so it should be okay. Good to know that the Smok battery that comes with the Bolt is protected though, thanks melkoren, tepicky.

The white plastic disc that holds the positive terminal is about 2mm thick and held inside the cap by friction and an inner flange, I wonder if the 2mm vent hole is sufficient, especially if the battery vents out the positive end. Ah well, I guess that means I'll never be stacking batteries with this mod. (but I guess I'd never trust anything except a plastic box mod for stacked batts)

Last edited:

tepicky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Weird, I can't edit my post. Anyway, update, one of my bolts had something wrong with it, and in the process of fiddling with it it managed to form a short. The spring collapsed and there was no incident. Of course, I'm not going to reuse this battery or the faulty switch section, but the battery section and spring are salvagable.

Well that stinks. Where'd u get urs from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread