Smoktech TT (Terminator Tank) vaporizers - burning out a lot? Fiddly? Or just me?

Discussion in 'Carto Tanks' started by warrenao, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. warrenao

warrenao Full Member

Jul 26, 2013
    These things, right here (this is not an indictment of the distributor; VapingCraze is fantastic. The question is about the Smok product itself):

5pc Box Smoktech Terminator Tank Replacement Atomizers

I've burned out two so far, and will probably lose a third soon. The second burned out after just one day of use.

Now I am using these things, as far as I can tell, just as I'm supposed to. I make sure the induction holes are clear, the wick has juice, and I'm not overdriving the coil (currently my eVic is telling me I'm putting 4 watts into it, 3.3v, resistance 2.7 Ω - very very low power). But over a remarkably and distressingly short amount of time I see my resistance go from 2.1 - 2.2 ohms up to 2.7, 3, or more - and then poof, I've burned out another coil. The coil I am using now started its life at 2.1Ω, just 6 hours ago, and now it's up to 2.7Ω. That is too far, too fast.

I don't go through any other attys this fast, even the generic replacement bottom-feeders you can get for Kangers.

The problem is that I really like the TT. It has fantastic vape at low power, a great smooth draw, and barely ever gurgles. I don't want to write it off, but replacing the attys is gonna get expensive at the rate of 3-5 per week.

So what am I doing wrong here? Is this a known flaw with the Smok Terminator atty? Or am I missing something profoundly obvious in the way I handle it?

Barring that, is there an equivalent atty that will give me the same kind of experience, but not fry like an earthworm in the Sahara after half a day?
  2. warrenao

warrenao Full Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oh arglebargle. I figured it out eventually. I was loosening the 510 adaptor, believing this allowed juice into the atty. Well, it let in juice, all right, but not enough to keep the coil cool.

What I needed to do was loosen the upper threaded fitting, the cup that contains the coil and wick. That's all it needed. I'm probably a dimwit for not realizing it sooner. Now that I've worked that out, the amount of vapor I get on just 4w / 3v is astonishing.
  3. BuffaloBore

BuffaloBore Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Cale America
    I really like the TT cause it's so easy to rebuild and I've never burned out a coil on one because the first thing I do is pull the factory coil and wick out and replace it with my own, 4 turns of 32ga round kanthal over 2 strands of 3mm silica wick vapes like a freight train. For the bucks they are really hard to beat. I use mine mostly as drippers but have a couple set up in AGR cartomizer tanks where they work very well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.