Smoktech Vmax Owners - tips, tricks and quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
Well I'm hoping that my AW IMR 18350's currently en route will fit but if it takes a SMALL dab of dialectric grease to get them in the cap I'm not in the least bit concerned about doing that. It's a non-conductive silicon lubricant that also has anti-corrosion properties. Can't see any harm in that but here's hoping even that wont be needed.

If it helps anyone one, I've measured the inside diameter of my battery cap with my micrometer. It's exactly 18.5mm.

i used neosporine.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario

I can see how that would be tight then but according to these measurements they 'should' fit. .25mm isn't much so if the
cap is even slightly out of round for some reason this could indeed represent a problem for some.

Fazed, any way you can measure your AR's and cap to see if it tracks with what's been reported here thus far?
It might be helpful to others here who may be worrying if their batteries properly fit in the device.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
lnteresting. I think you should sell your design to Boge and get them to do the drilling for us :)

Not having ever attempted this before, is there any danger here of metallic particles entering the 'suck' stream? Or do the drill shavings come off relatively clean?

I know this is probably .... but Im a safer than sorry knida guy. I actually pop on the vacuum for a second after wiping them down 1st with a damp paper towel and run the crevice tool over all the holes to ensure no flakes or dust is left behind then inspect them carefully. The tip that I use on the dremel doesn't makes metal flakes really just dust and most of it stays on the outside of the carto anyway.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
fuzzione have you used a clearomizer on the vmax? I really like the Clearomizer;)

Yes, and I like them also. Used the Stardusts on the vmax that work well for me between 3.2-3.6v depending on the juice. Don't need to take them much higher than that I find.

I mainly use the vmax for my tanks however and have the clearos attached to my Volt x2 batteries most of the time. Gives me the best of many worlds including portability, several flavors available at any given moment, etc.

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Fazed, any way you can measure your AR's and cap to see if it tracks with what's been reported here thus far?
It might be helpful to others here who may be worrying if their batteries properly fit in the device.

I will as soon as I get a chance.

Sent via cellular communication device...

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
I know this is probably .... but Im a safer than sorry knida guy. I actually pop on the vacuum for a second after wiping them down 1st with a damp paper towel and run the crevice tool over all the holes to ensure no flakes or dust is left behind then inspect them carefully. The tip that I use on the dremel doesn't makes metal flakes really just dust and most of it stays on the outside of the carto anyway.

Sounds sensible to me. Good idea about the vacuum; I'll likely attach the shopvac to my drill press when I'm ready to do this.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Well I'm hoping that my AW IMR 18350's currently en route will fit but if it takes a SMALL dab of dialectric grease to get them in the cap I'm not in the least bit concerned about doing that. It's a non-conductive silicon lubricant that also has anti-corrosion properties. Can't see any harm in that but here's hoping even that wont be needed.

If it helps anyone one, I've measured the inside diameter of my battery cap with my micrometer. It's exactly 18.5mm.

Read about the exploding/venting battery scenarios, which do include imr going thermal and venting.

A relatively untested pv, with zero battery swell capacity (& where are its vents?), maybe doesn't sound like a good path to follow...

A venting battery without a path for the gas to escape becomes an exploding pv.

(This is important stuff for people to understand. Unless you have a vent in the middle, between the batteries, you don't want them an ultra tight fit.)

Last edited:

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
It's not a completely sealed mod either though, I get what your saying about venting batteries and agree,but the VMAX is far from sealed air tight. The firing button has plenty of room around it to let gases escape if it needed to. The top half of the mod is completely open space. It's not a battery chamber like the lavatube that has the top half sealed, the gases could vent upwards and out if they absolutely needed to. Those gases will find every crevice, crack, corner slit, and small opening they can to escape before it becomes a pressure chamber. But you are right about making sure they do have somewhere to go. A good vape could become a bad day very easily.

Lonnie Lepp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Texas, USA, Earth
Hi All,
I have had a VMax since 21 April 2012. Got it at the Central Texas Vapors Meetup in Austin TX from Courtney, the owner of All About Vapor.

Batteries that came with it are a pair of ICR 18350's, 3.7 v. 900 mAh, button top, made by DKI Battery Company in China.
Here is a link to what they look like, 18350 3.7v protected battery for e-cigarette Sales, Buy 18350 3.7v protected battery for e-cigarette Products from alibaba.com.

Here is a link to a set of instructions for using the VMax, V-Max by SmokTech

In the month or so that I have had it. I have enjoyed using it.

You can check the ohm's on your carts easily with the right setting, 5 then select "A", some have described it as a "R", but it looks to me like an "A". Checking the carts ohms has made separating my wife's LR carts and ATTY's from mine very easy.

I have several 510 to EGO adapters that I use for EGO style carts, Stardust and EGO Carts.

I almost always use the 3.1 volts as this unit is pulse modulated not a steady voltage adjustment.

I have used EGO Carts, dual coil LR's - Good VP, stronger TH and hotter vapor production than the EGO 900 mAh Battery
I rarely use this combo as I don't like a strong TH nor warm vapor.

I use the triple punched DCT Replacement Carto at 3 ohms with a flange and a SmokTech DCT 5 mil tank.
Smooth TH, Cool Vapor production and huge clouds of vapor.

I have a 3 ohm 510 atty that I debridged and drop the juice into directly when I just want a short change of flavors.
Good vape. I don't do this very often.

The Stardust clear-o-mizers are 2.9 ohm and I never liked them on the EGO Battery.
with the 510 to EGO adapter on the VMax they work great.

I like using a lanyard to keep from dropping my Vaping units. Also makes them easier to spot when I misplace them
I took a Key ring that fit snugly over the tube body and prior to installing the ring I took a very small key ring and threaded them together to give my lanyard's clasp a place took hook onto easily.

I have noticed that the batteries tend to last me about a day and a half.

I vape 60/40 with 24 nic and what ever flavor I am enjoying at the moment.
Chreme De Mint, Sweeter Mint, Primo, Lemon, Bavarian Chreme and Minor league. All from All About Vapor.

I might be leaving something out of this reply.
I will be glad to clarify any thing to the best of my ability.

Enjoy Yourself.
Lonnie

Smoke free since 1Apr2012

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
If you start by the batteries not properly fitting that is just not smart.

This thread has a mix of newer and more experienced people. People don't learn if they aren't given valid information.

The 'rechargeable batteries are dangerous' theme applies to virtually every mod. VAPNJ350 has responded to your previous comments and suggests that enough venting exists on the vmax despite a tight battery fit, offering specific observations and reasoning. You have elected not to address those comments but merely state that 'it's not smart' without challenging his views in any meaningful way or providing any 'valid information' that you claim is lacking.
I understand your point and it's certainly not unwelcome, but it really hasn't been supported enough beyond making it anything but your personal opinion. Which you are entitled to share with us, of course.

It also seems obvious that any new product launch is essentially 'an untested device' as you mentioned.

Would I have preferred better fitting batteries? Yes. Is it a dealbreaker for me? No.

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Read about the exploding/venting battery scenarios, which do include imr going thermal and venting.

A relatively untested pv, with zero battery swell capacity (& where are its vents?), maybe doesn't sound like a good path to follow...

A venting battery without a path for the gas to escape becomes an exploding pv.

(This is important stuff for people to understand. Unless you have a vent in the middle, between the batteries, you don't want them an ultra tight fit.)

How many vents do you need ?? there are 5 holes in the Top Cap and the Firing Button hole also forms a vent hole ?? My Batts fit fine and drop in the unit well without any annoying rattle !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread