Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
You don't have to tell the device what battery set up you are using. it knows from the voltage and sets itself automatically. What he is saying is that when they are two batteries the device uses a "step down" circuit. When there is a single battery the device uses a "step up" circuit. The comment about the carto is that the device hits hard so if you set it too high you will burn the carto.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
You don't have to tell the device what battery set up you are using. it knows from the voltage and sets itself automatically. What he is saying is that when they are two batteries the device uses a "step down" circuit. When there is a single battery the device uses a "step up" circuit. The comment about the carto is that the device hits hard so if you set it too high you will burn the carto.

You got a lot more from "If we do not do it and cartomizer twisted it to fly a balloon beautiful smelly and so will end your life" than I did.
What about the bit where he says "just need to press the push button again to Zmax switched to step-down"?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Actually price fixing happens all the time and is not against the law. It happens with golf equipment alot. Ping golf will set a price and if they catch you selling it cheaper within a year of coming out it will suspend your account for awhile. Happens all the time in other things also. I see this as no different. The price will come down soon enough but thats when v2,3,4 hits the shelf.

You might want to actually read the law to understand your wrong, in the USA it is illegal. The sherman act, and Anit trust laws prohibit price fixing, and here is wiki to educate you a bit on price fixing = Price fixing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia not that it much matters here the Chinese will still get away with this though China is part of the Act I believe of Anit trust laws, along with Japan and Korea. Here in the USA dealers can not all agree upon setting a price this is price fixing and is Illegal. That's not saying they cant all set a price that is the same, but if they all got together and said we are going to sell this for $xxx and not a penny less, that would be price fixing. Watch what happens, it will start out at $XXX price, then as soon as the first vendor drops his pants all the rest will follow, happens all the time, and in numerous market places, especially the car business.

Last edited:

hubblecraft83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Here is an update to my post on the source of electronics on the Provari. I asked about the new finish on the satin colors.

Hi Mike,

We use Cerakote brand ceramic coating for the black and colored finishes. It is a highly durable coating that is mainly used on firearms. Please note though that it takes about 6-8 weeks to cure fully. After that, it’s as tough as a rock and won’t chip or scratch. So be gentle with it for the first month and a half. After that, you can drop it on concrete and the finish won’t chip (although I don’t recommend doing it lol).

The satin silver is also highly durably. Since our tubes are machined from stainless steel, we just sand blast the tube with tiny glass beads to give it the satiny look and feel. Since there is no coating, you don’t have to worry about anything chipping or peeling. Mind you, rough treatment of even stainless steel can lead to scratches in the finish. I definitely do not recommend putting it in a pocket with other metal objects like keys and such.

The one downfall of the satin silver finish is the laser etched logo is likely to fade. This is normal on the silver ProVari. Since the logo is laser etched into the tube, a carbon build up is left behind from the burning process, making the logo dark at first. As the logo gets handled and rubbed, the carbon will wear off, leaving a logo that is the same color as the tube.

This will not happen on the ceramic coated tubes because the ceramic coating affects the laser logo etching process.

I know this isn't Zmax related but if the Zmax really is $150 I am going the Provari route. I am impressed so far.

That Dim guy

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Chilliwack BC
Sigh.. Well may just pick that up and be done with it. I'd like a provari but even the their basic model with extension cap and red LED is 245.00 after shipping and taxes. (huge wife agro... lol) Of course could always buy a second hand one for 200.00 but then meh.. the Vmax's seem to be holding there own now that they have the kinks worked out. And this Zmax looks promising.

Kcfromva

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Virginia
You might want to actually read the law to understand your wrong, in the USA it is illegal. The sherman act, and Anit trust laws prohibit price fixing, and here is wiki to educate you a bit on price fixing = Price fixing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia not that it much matters here the Chinese will still get away with this though China is part of the Act I believe of Anit trust laws, along with Japan and Korea. Here in the USA dealers can not all agree upon setting a price this is price fixing and is Illegal. That's not saying they cant all set a price that is the same, but if they all got together and said we are going to sell this for $xxx and not a penny less, that would be price fixing. Watch what happens, it will start out at $XXX price, then as soon as the first vendor drops his pants all the rest will follow, happens all the time, and in numerous market places, especially the car business.
From what i gathered from your article you are mistaken. A manufacturer can set a minimum price for their product but competing resellers can not set that price. Correct me if I am wrong

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
From what i gathered from your article you are mistaken. A manufacturer can set a minimum price for their product but competing resellers can not set that price. Correct me if I am wrong

It depends on the laws where you live. In the U.S. they can set a MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) but resellers can sell for whatever they want. They can also set a MAAP (minimum allowed advertised price) which they can legally enforce. The reseller cannot advertise it for less but can sell it for less. That is why sometimes on Amazon and other websites it says click for price, or put in the basket for price. They cannot show the lower price on the product page as that would constitute advertising. China is different and Smoktech can refuse to sell to anyone who they catch violating their minimum pricing agreement. If they had subsidiaries in other countries than they would also have to abide by the laws in that country.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I got in on Provari's first run and have bought quite a few since (very easy to sell), settling with their V2 silver satin.
That doesn't mean I won't get a ZMax, as I am impressed with the Vmax ( I have a V2).
I hope they fix the issue with the end cap threads being so mushy... mine scrambled the threads on the first batt installation; it's only a 1mm gap if that, so it's almost a non issue, but at a competitive price you want the whole unit to have consistent quality control.
Good batts are a must for me too.
The beastly power of the Vmax really makes the AVA atomizer come to life btw.
Btw, I was not very confident in Vmax CS from the start, if there is any, got mine from Time east, but took a gamble and it has held up great. Provari deals with CS extremely well.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Doesn't the Sony Playstation and Xbox 360 have prices that can't be changed? The deals only came from bundling free games with it. Wal-Mart even held firm, save for $0.02 I think. So 99% of retailers sold the PS3 for 299.99 and Wal-Mart had it for 299.97, or thereabouts.

Once the mfg./distributor sells it to the reseller/retailer, the retailer can sell it at whatever price they want. But the distributor can then refuse to sell the retailer any more if they don't tow the line. Sell it for less and you have cut off your future supply line.

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ

Smoktech can simply raise the wholesale cost to force the vendor closer to their price point. The vendor can choose not the stock it under those conditions but you need to keep good contacts and relationships in Asia.

Last edited:

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
Doesn't the Sony Playstation and Xbox 360 have prices that can't be changed? The deals only came from bundling free games with it. Wal-Mart even held firm, save for $0.02 I think. So 99% of retailers sold the PS3 for 299.99 and Wal-Mart had it for 299.97, or thereabouts.

If your in a strong position like Walmart why would you lower your prices? Your buying power is greater, so you will get the items cheaper then most other retailers - so your making a bigger profit selling it for the same price. Since you have more stores - your market saturation is higher making it easier to sell your product. Its a win win situation.

The consumer can be stupid at times. Give a great item away for a cheap price and they tend to think it sucks, even if its great.

Thats why Apple does so well.. They sell nothing cheap, so people assume everything they put out is trendy and better. The moment Apple puts out a $199.00 tablet - market-share will tank, because you cheapen your brand.

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
I don't understand Smoktech's policy. Why do they care what price they are sold at? Hell, let the reseller give them away free, who cares? The cheaper they are, the more that will be sold, and more and larger wholesale orders from the resellers. Let the market decide the price and sell the crap out of them. Keeping it a higher price just reduces how many units they sell in the long run.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Smoktech can simply raise the wholesale cost to force the vendor closer to their price point. The vendor can choose not the stock it under those conditions but you need to keep good contacts and relationships in Asia.

A suggested retail price is not what I was speaking about, surely anyone can do this, Smok wont raise there wholesale price because of this either, but for all retailers to communicate and come together to say hey here is what we are all going to sell this product for and no one can sell for any less, is price fixing, that's what I was discussing doesn't matter because of competition like I said someone will drop there pants first to get the business and not follow this ridiculous price fixing and then the war will start of who has the best deal, happens in every industry. Just take a look at the Vmax and what happened there with pricing. Anyways lets just drop it no need to discuss any further, let's sit back and watch :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread