Smoktech ZMax Owners - Pics., Tips, Tricks and Quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
Folks, I've moved all posts pertaining to battery discussions over to it's own thread, again in the hopes to keep this thread on track for discussion regarding the ZMax device itself. Here's the link to the battery thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smoketech-max-vv-devices/329684-max-devices-batteries-discussion.html

Maybe it's just me but I think the discussion of batteries for the ZMAX is A LOT more relevant in this thread than the price war BS. The battery setup and versatility is one of the main and biggest features of the ZMAX , not to mention a HUGE selling point. That's actually one of the most innovative designs for a APV yet. Obviously my opinion,...but relative none the less.....I think. I'll let the 'likes' count be the judge.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Maybe it's just me but I think the discussion of batteries for the ZMAX is A LOT more relevant in this thread than the price war BS. The battery setup and versatility is one of the main and biggest features of the ZMAX , not to mention a HUGE selling point. That's actually one of the most innovative designs for a APV yet. Obviously my opinion,...but relative none the less.....I think. I'll let the 'likes' count be the judge.

Let me know your thoughts guys, and I can just as easily move them back in. I just felt the battery conversation was cluttering this thread, yet was important enough to warrant it's own thread. I did keep it within the SmokTech "Max" VV Devices subforum though for newbies coming to this subforum.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Let me know your thoughts guys, and I can just as easily move them back in. I just felt the battery conversation was cluttering this thread, yet was important enough to warrant it's own thread. I did keep it within the SmokTech "Max" VV Devices subforum though for newbies coming to this subforum.

I can see J's point about battery info relevance due to the dual configuration capabilities of the Z. I would be less than excited however to see the thread cluttered with 'AW's are better than E'fests,' 'the dangers of stacking,' 'what batteries should I buy for my zmax and where,' etc. That would belong on another thread in my view.

Also, I think that a battery sub-topic thread would be more useful to new people wanting to know this specific info. It was sad to see some very informative battery info become buried in the vast vmax thread and people were asking the same questions repeatedly every week or so.

I'm personally ok with either way provided the battery discussions on this thread remain zmax specific, more or less.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
Now that I do agree with ...the Pi55in' contest between this battery or that battery is not really needed but discussions of fitment, or just "simple" battery inquiries for the ZMAX I feel I absolutely relevant....if not needed on a basic level. Maybe I should retract my previous post as I better understand your reasoning for filtering of this particular topic. My apologies Dusty. Please do as you see fit for the better of the thread of keeping it informative,"on topic", quality reading.

But all this price crap has to end. It is what it is. I think some would agree.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Now that I do agree with ...the Pi55in' contest between this battery or that battery is not really needed but discussions of fitment, or just "simple" battery inquiries for the ZMAX I feel I absolutely relevant....if not needed on a basic level. Maybe I should retract my previous post as I better understand your reasoning for filtering of this particular topic. My apologies Dusty. Please do as you see fit for the better of the thread of keeping it informative,"on topic", quality reading.

But all this price crap has to end. It is what it is. I think some would agree.

I'd agree with that, for this thread. On the other hand, we have an entire subforum now so if someone feels strongly enough about such discussions, a separate thread specifically addressing 'zmax pricing' wouldn't really be out of place. I mean, we finally have a MAX section, so threads on specific topics not involving 'pics, tricks, tips, quirks' should be encouraged I think. Those that have an interest in such discussion will read/post in those threads; likewise, those not interested can avoid them.

I feel similarly about starting separate threads on other possible topics including 'where to buy,' vmax/zmax accessories and devices, etc. One has only to look at some other device specific forums to appreciate how wide and varied the individual threads can be. Easier to look up info that way too.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
I agree! While a 100,000 post thread on any subject may have some merit, it's really hard for somebody looking for relevant information to find it when 99,000 of those posts are off-topic posts discussing other subjects.

This sub-forum is yours. Go nuts, and create new threads in it and leave this thread for what it's meant to be. Smoktech ZMax Owners - Pics., Tips, Tricks and Quirks. :)

BTW.. it looks like ST seems to have taken a long weekend in China too, as I still don't have a shipping notice for my Zmax! :p

Ape

Jul 17, 2010
France
Hey all,

I don't get it. I see there's 2 battery possibilities:

- 1x18650
- 2x18350

So does it means it is not a boosted voltage (like the Provari), but still and again a regulateed voltage ?
That means to get more than 4 volts, we can't use a single 18650 ?

If so, I don't get it because 2x18350 is exactly the perfect condition for the batteries to explode to our faces... -_-'
Please tell me it is a boosted voltage, not a regulated one :(

Anyone knows ?

Krystm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Arlington, TX
Everything I have read is that it Boosts and Steps down. Personally stepping down I think is the better choice as it will allow the device to last longer as it is pulling a lower voltage from the batteries instead of pulling more from it. That with the safety features included I dont think there will be any issues.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
This will depend on its various uses. I think the boost will be easier to deal with sorting out shorts on DID's and other rebuildables which is a nightmare with the high-spike PWM step-down. It can be done but is quite difficult, for me at least.
On the other hand the step down will likely shine with higher ohm dc's. I like this 'best of both worlds' design.

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
That's basically exactly what it's doing. If you use the 18650 setup it automatically uses the boost circuit. Use the stacked setup it switches to the step down reg. Fuzzi said it perfect. It really is the best of both worlds. And I really can't see any power-loss or gain from 1 setup to the other. It's pretty even across the board....very consistent from 1 to the other.

Ape

Jul 17, 2010
France
Well if that's the case, I'm releived, because it would be the best mod on the market right now (for me). :)

Everything I have read is that it Boosts and Steps down. Personally stepping down I think is the better choice as it will allow the device to last longer as it is pulling a lower voltage from the batteries instead of pulling more from it. That with the safety features included I dont think there will be any issues.

Well, the only reported explosion so far are with 2 batteries. Probably because this setup is warmer, with the current passing from one battery to the other. If one battery collapses and exploses, the other exploses too (chain reaction).
However if there's a proper venting hole, it should be safe. Duno...

That's basically exactly what it's doing. If you use the 18650 setup it automatically uses the boost circuit. Use the stacked setup it switches to the step down reg. Fuzzi said it perfect. It really is the best of both worlds. And I really can't see any power-loss or gain from 1 setup to the other. It's pretty even across the board....very consistent from 1 to the other.

If it's a regulated voltage setup, the working voltage will always be at about 7 volts, but converted at the input voltage.
But the current used should still be as if you were using a 7 volts device, not a 4 volts or a 5 volts one.
I'm not sure, but If that's the case, they're is some how a loss of current, transformed into heat, so that you could have the 5 volts you've asked for.

Anyhow, everyone will choose the setup that he think it's better :p
Sorry, I've just been impressed by the accident few months ago.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN

VAP, I've read the monster long Vmax thread that preceded this one, and now I've read all of this one, and while I'm sure this has been explained before it must have been couched in terms I didn't understand ... If I'm asking stupid questions, just ignore me and move on, but here goes:

1. Given that in the single-batt 18650 mode, the Zmax is operating as a VV boost device, and in the stacked-batt dual 18350 mode it operates as a VV step-down device ... doesn't this mean that the Zmax is always operating (electrically) as a variable voltage device, regardless of whether the user selects VV or VW as the display mode? It seems to me that "variable wattage" is simply a derived value based on the resistance of the load, and that a device like the Zmax—or any so-called variable wattage device—actually achieves its variable wattage effects by varying the voltage?

2. If the foregoing is correct, then aren't the much-heralded benefits of "variable wattage"—e.g., consistency of vape over the duty cycle of the battery, same vape experience from one atomizing device resistance to another, auto-adjust of voltage as atomizer resistance varies in use or as it ages, etc.—dependent on the accuracy and consistency of the voltage as sensed and as regulated by the electronics of the device?

3. And, if accuracy and consistency of voltage are really at the operational core of things—with wattage simply being a calculated value to give a different way of expressing voltage applied—mightn't the Zmax inherit the "creative" way the Vmax delivered voltages with significant variations between what was displayed and what was actually delivered? And wouldn't that make the variable wattage even more inaccurate, since it varies as the square of the voltage?

4. If I've got 1, 2, and 3 right, isn't that the primary argument in favor of the accuracy delivered by that "other" mod with the what-you-set-is-what-you-get slogan? With the Zmax, aren't we paying for the convenience of having the device do the wattage math for us, even though the math may be based on inaccurate input?

5. And finally, has any testing answered this question: even if the Zmax isn't absolutely accurate in its displayed voltage (or. by derivation, displayed wattage), is it at least consistent? Is it always dependably off by the same amount? If so, wouldn't it be simpler just to think of the Zmax display as being essentially a unitless scale, the main benefit of which is repeatable settings?

Or am I just an idiot?

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
VAP, I've read the monster long Vmax thread that preceded this one, and now I've read all of this one, and while I'm sure this has been explained before it must have been couched in terms I didn't understand ...
Or am I just an idiot?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, but... we have been told the Zmax has different electronic components from a different supplier. And that is also dependent upon the programming.
4. Yes, but... ditto

Sorta #6. Absolutely not. Maybe, but not based on these questions.

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Saw some tests on a Polish website.
This is the Zmax set at 3 volts two 18350's;

249794Zmax2x18350.jpg

Modnar

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Denmark
www.octopusecig.com
Is the SS on Zmax just a SS coating, with brass on the inside?

Someone told me this today, but I don't really know what to think? (I doubt it, but who knows?)

I checked on the site I ordered mine from, and it actually does say "SS color"

And even the description at the site says that both the Chrome and SS versions are brass with a coating on the outside.

It won't make me cancel my order if its not solid SS, but it does kinda suck if its true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread