Smowell DPV 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFawkes

Jan 25, 2015
Bought this guy 2 months ago for 31 bucks hoping to high hell that it performs as good as it looks...

I have tested it with
efest 35a 2500mah
Mxjo 35a 2500mah
AW 1600mah (not sure the amps on these)

I will start by saying that I absolutely LOVE the form factor of this mod. It's smaller than an istick 50 and it's more comfortable in the hand to boot. The floating 510 pin fits everything I own and the chipset seems reasonably accurate, and considering the price point it seems crazy accurate.

Unfortunately when I received the unit it simply refused to fire at 50 watts. I tried many resistances from .3 to 1.5 ohm. All it would give me at 50 watts is "POWER REDUCED" it would then set itself to 45w and I would try to fire and again it would power reduce. I couldn't even get it to fire a 1.1 ohm kayfun at 22 watts or even 20. I experienced the same thing with all the batteries I own.

Now all this being said there is a simple remedy. It seems that smowell decided to put some kind of chrome plating on the end caps, Chrome has TERRIBLE conduction by the way. I sanded the negative pole on the bottom cap and where the screw holes make contact with the body of the mod as well as the countersink that the screws fit into. This didn't completely solve the problem. All of my atomizers could fire at 50 watts for roughly the first quarter of the battery. Lower than 70%-80% charge and it still refused to fire at full power. This had been mated to my kayfun lite as I only run that at 18-24 watts and I could run it from a full charge to dead without a single power reduction. While I was writing this a week ago I got ...... of at it and took the end cap off again and had another go with the sandpaper. I took the entire battery side of the plate down to raw steel except where the charge board is held. Then I took the sandpaper to the body of the mod around the battery slot and took the anodizing
off so that the current didn't have to go through the two tiny screws. I put her back together and tested and low and behold she output 50 watts through the whole life of the battery. She's been rock solid ever since but now there's a small gap between the bottom cap and the mod body... Can't win them all.

If this unit came with stainless steel end caps, or even better brass(this thing would look SUPER slick with brass end caps and buttons) it would be a 5 star unit and I would buy 2 more.

Pros: I absolutely LOVE the shape, size and weight of this mod, it is comfortable any way I hold it, the buttons have a very nice click to them, the unit seems quite accurate for the price and the positive pin floats. I got mine in black and the anodizing is awesome, 2 months of abuse in my pocket and it only has 3 pinhole sized chips that are so small my camera can't pick them up.

Cons: Screen is difficult to read in bright light, the buttons rattle a bit, the 510 threads started out very tight (time has remedied this) the spring on the positive battery terminal could be a little stiffer, and that godawful chrome-esque plating on the end caps.
IMG_20150721_47966.jpg
IMG_20150721_35867.jpg

Attachments

• 20150719_220514.jpg
    20150719_220514.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread