Not open for further replies.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
A few weeks ago I purchased the Snow Wolf 200 watt and am having a problem with it and I am not sure if it is user error or a defect in the product.

Basically, the unit does not power off completely. If I click 5 times to turn it off the Asmodos message comes up and it appears to power off and the lock screen comes on, however it only takes 1 click to turn the unit back on and then 5 clicks to get it to operate.

The problem is this - the unit doesn't appear to turn off fully even if I click 5 times or if it has not been used for a long period of time. I have a lot of devices and will often not use it for hours, or even a couple of days on end, but the batteries drain out. The batteries drain whether I use it or not. Over the last 3 days I have barely used the device and my Sony VCT5s have drained out completely.

I have also noticed that occasionally, the Asmodos message will pop up on the screen at odd times when I haven't used the device for hours, or even over a day. I've seen this happen at night when the lights are off. The screen will turn on and its very noticeable in a dark room.

Can anyone shed any light on this? There doesn't seem to be any instructions on how to actually put the device into a proper sleep mode and powering up only takes 1 click.

Regards

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sounds like your mod is already doing that.

Seriously, what chipset and have you read through your owners manual.
Without knowing the exact feature set, answering would be difficult.

ECF Forums/APV Discussion/Variable Voltage or Temperature control sub-forums may have an answer.

Reactions: AnthonyB

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
From what I understand, you don't really turn the mod off. It just goes to sleep after a while of you not using it. Then when you click the fire button, it wakes up and goes through the start up boot process in locked mode and you need to do the 5 clicks to unlock it. My Snow Wolf never gets unused for more than a few hours at a time (and that's when I'm sleeping) so I don't know how long the batteries would last if it was unused. If you're going to not use the mod for a while or even a few days, why don't you just remove the batteries?

What sounds odd is what you are reporting about the mod starting up by itself. I have never experienced this myself, nor heard this happen to anyone else.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
From what I understand, you don't really turn the mod off. It just goes to sleep after a while of you not using it. Then when you click the fire button, it wakes up and goes through the start up boot process in locked mode and you need to do the 5 clicks to unlock it. My Snow Wolf never gets unused for more than a few hours at a time (and that's when I'm sleeping) so I don't know how long the batteries would last if it was unused. If you're going to not use the mod for a while or even a few days, why don't you just remove the batteries?

What sounds odd is what you are reporting about the mod starting up by itself. I have never experienced this myself, nor heard this happen to anyone else.

Yeah, removing the batteries is a logical option but when the device powers itself up without any input from me that is what concerns me. It seems strange that an unused device would continue to drain batteries. The device is simple to use. I've tried 3 clicks, 4 clicks, long clicks, holding the fire button and the up arrow and down arrow at the same time. Nothing seems to turn it off properly. I am not sure it matters what chipset I am using. It's concerning that the device is not powering down properly and continues to drain batteies after a long period of non-use.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Yeah, removing the batteries is a logical option but when the device powers itself up without any input from me that is what concerns me. It seems strange that an unused device would continue to drain batteries. The device is simple to use. I've tried 3 clicks, 4 clicks, long clicks, holding the fire button and the up arrow and down arrow at the same time. Nothing seems to turn it off properly. I am not sure it matters what chipset I am using. It's concerning that the device is not powering down properly and continues to drain batteies after a long period of non-use.
I suppose the good thing is the Snow Wolf powers up in the locked position, so that helps to prevent autofiring (like the iStick 50). Is it doing this consistently? I would think what you need to do is to contact the vendor and ask for a replacement, or contact Asmodus (since they're the importer) for service.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
Just an fyi, to turn any electronic device off, you need to interrupt power to the device. Obviously, you can't do that with anything that controls the chip, ie the firing button, because you could never turn it back on. If it was off, the chip wouldn't be getting power and wouldn't recieve a signal from the fire button.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
My snow wolf I havent really used in the last three days except an occassion pull on the troll RDA thats on it and every time I have to hit the fire button to wake it up, then click it 5 times to use it. The batteries been in it for thee days since last charge and are showing 3/4 charge so its not discharging on its own and I have not seen it wake itself ever.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
Most mods use the fire button to turn on and off. Its a switch.

I think its troubling that its waking up from sleep on its own (although the old Cloupor Hana clones used to do that), and that its draining the batteries. I would ask the vendor for an exchange.
If they say that the fire button can turn it off, they are lying. The chip is still getting power. It is a common misunderstanding though. Like shutting down a computer, it's not off until you reach around back and flip the switch on the power supply. The fire button if a momentary switch that sends a signal to the chip. If it was off, the chip wouldn't recognise the button trying to turn it back on. To truely turn it off, there would be a switch between the battery and chip that stops power to the chip.

There is nothing wrong with it, no vendor in their right mind would replace it over that. They all do the exact same thing.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
No, they don't all wake up from sleep on their own, nor drain batteries that fast. I don't have a Snow Wolf, but I have 18 regulated mods, and they aren't draining batteries, nor waking up with no input from me. That's an RMA in my book.
It isn't waking up. Just displaying the name, checking the charge in the battery and then going dark again. If you wait until it goes dark, then hit the fire button, it goes through the wake up routine again before you can unlock it. Not a big deal, just remove the batteries. That's the safest thing to do anyways...

Do any of your mods charge through the mod? If so, does it charge while turned "off"? If so, it's not off, just sleeping. The chip controls the charging, and to do so, it must be on. The only true "off" is for the chip to not be recieving power. Not many of these mods have an actual off switch that breaks the circuit in the battery. Like a light switch, when you turn it off, it breaks the circuit and the light stops getting power.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
No regulated mod shuts down completely. They ALL simply go into a sleep mode. That's why pressing the fire button turns them back on.

Think about it. With a mod that you press the fire button 3 or 5 times to turn it on, how would it know how many times you've pressed the button unless it was already on? It's just in a locked sleep mode, but it's still running passively, "listening" to the buttons to see if they are being pushed. Even a lowly Ego does this.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
No regulated mod shuts down completely. They ALL simply go into a sleep mode. That's why pressing the fire button turns them back on.

Think about it. With a mod that you press the fire button 3 or 5 times to turn it on, how would it know how many times you've pressed the button unless it was already on? It's just in a locked sleep mode, but it's still running passively, "listening" to the buttons to see if they are being pushed. Even a lowly Ego does this.
Exactly what I've been trying to say.

Now about the battery drain issue, is it happening with a full battery or a partially discharged battery? A full battery losing a large amount of charge might indicate a problem. A battery at half charge could be normal. I believe the gauge on the unit gives voltage rather than percent of charge. The voltage doesn't drop until a good amount of charge has been used, from there, it can drop quickly. Maybe I'm wrong though...

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Just an fyi, to turn any electronic device off, you need to interrupt power to the device. Obviously, you can't do that with anything that controls the chip, ie the firing button, because you could never turn it back on. If it was off, the chip wouldn't be getting power and wouldn't recieve a signal from the fire button.

Ive got a lot of mods and none of them drain batteries when powered down. I can leave them sitting there with charged batteries for weeks and they don't use up battery power. The Snow Wolf is the first one that is draining batteries over time when not being used.

I love the Snow Wolf. My favorite mod at the moment, but if this power down issue is not a defect, it certainly is a shortcoming. If I insert fully charged Sony VCT5s and don't use it for say, 5 days, it drains the batteries fully. It's a big inconvenience to have to remove the batteries each time particularly when one can't tell from one day to next of they intend to vape a device.

I don't know about others, but I don't know if I am going to use a device or not until I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
If they say that the fire button can turn it off, they are lying. The chip is still getting power. It is a common misunderstanding though. Like shutting down a computer, it's not off until you reach around back and flip the switch on the power supply. The fire button if a momentary switch that sends a signal to the chip. If it was off, the chip wouldn't recognise the button trying to turn it back on. To truely turn it off, there would be a switch between the battery and chip that stops power to the chip.

There is nothing wrong with it, no vendor in their right mind would replace it over that. They all do the exact same thing.

But a fully charged set of batteries can discharge within a week when I am not using the device. This surely cannot be normal.

Up until last week I noticed that the batteries seemed to be running out fairly quickly and thought it was just the rare at which the Snow Wolf uses them up or perhaps my wattage setting. However, I fully charged them last week and for one reason or another didn't use the mod in 4 or 5 days. I noticed the battery was close to being empty. On the same night I noticed the Asmodus message come up on its own.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car147

Nov 13, 2014
Highlands,Scotland
As others have said, its operating normally, mines the same as in it just goes into sleep mode, also it is not waking up, but just displaying the name etc in sleep mode (a wee bit of advertising I guess) The only problem you may have is the batteries running down, never tried leaving mine in sleep mode for longer than overnight, and even then there was no real difference in charge state.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Ive got a lot of mods and none of them drain batteries when powered down. I can leave them sitting there with charged batteries for weeks and they don't use up battery power. The Snow Wolf is the first one that is draining batteries over time when not being used.

I can absolutely 100% guarantee you that you're wrong. In fact it would be IMPOSSIBLE for them not to be draining the batteries unless your mods have toggle switches like a light switch wired between the battery and the chip that break the circuit entirely, but then you would need to flip the toggle switch for the fire button to work.

Any mod that turns on with the fire button is ALWAYS on, and ALWAYS drains the battery to some extent. It's absolutely impossible for them not to. The battery carriage is wired to the chip and the fire button is wired to the chip and the only way the chip knows the fire button is pressed is by monitoring the voltage change when you press the button. The mod is never OFF, it's only in a locked sleep mode. The ONLY difference between the SnowWolf and any other mod in this regard is that the SnowWolf wakes up from a single press and then you unlock it, rather than waking it up and unlocking it at the same time.

YiHiecigar-SX350-100W-wiring-instruction-%281%29.jpg

dna40-cloupor-hana-wiring-guide68049.jpg

Look at the wiring schematics of any chip out there. The batteries are wired directly to the chip, the fire button is wired directly to the chip, the only way the fire button can receive power is if the chip is being powered. If the chip wasn't powered the buttons would be on a dead circuit and wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread