Snus Reviews- Feel Free to add your own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I figured I'd start a review thread for snus. I'm pretty new to snusing and would have loved to read some first hand reviews before ordering online. I've noticed that quite a few other newbies beside me have started posting here, so maybe they can enjoy this as well. Like the title says, feel free to add your own thoughts on taste and such. Remember, YMMV as each of us have different tastes and opinions. :)

This was my latest order from Northerner. I wanted to order a few different ones to get a taste of what's out there. Most of these are tobacco heavy when it comes to flavor. They are all regular portions as well. I haven't ventured into the extra strong just yet. If you've tried any of these and have a different opinion, please add it. Variety is the spice of life. :p

1. Göteborgs Rapé No2- It's a white portion which I tend to steer clear of but this one was very good. Great berry flavor with tobacco undertones. Flavor started as soon as I popped it under my lip. Top of my list for now.

2. Röda Lacket- Another white portion, I may have to change my tune on whites. Great tobacco flavor. I loved how the flavor lasted from the time I popped it in to the time I took it out. Excellent snus.

3.Offroad Original- Very nice tobacco flavor with great citrus undertones. I could see this becoming an everydayer to replace my General original.

4. Ettan- Not to under rate this snus, but the others just blew me away so much that this was the first open spot I had for Ettan. This is a clear after meal snus. Hearty, almost meaty tobacco taste with just a hint of chocolate in the background. Goes great with a good pint of lager or heavier beer.

5. Jakobssons Classic- I was disappointed with this one. Very little flavor outside of salt. I did pick up some flavor later into the portion, but I almost had to chew it to drag the flavor out. I'm going to put this in the fridge for a bit to see if it matures.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Thanks Roth. I think they are growing on me more each day. I think with the regular portions, that extra wetness actually inhibits the flavor a little rather than increasing it. The whites seem to have a more pronounced, in your face flavor where the regular portions seem to sneak up on ya.

Thought I'd add four of the General lines that are available locally for me and were the reason I embraced snus in the first place.

General Original- This is a regular portion which means the portions are wetted with a tobacco flavor during packaging. This is my go to flavor and favorite of the General line. A mild salty start that gives way to a nice, well pronounced tobacco taste. You can almost taste the different tobaccos that are used to make this great snus. I put this one near the top of my list and never leave the house without a tin.

General Mint- A close second in my General favorites. A white portion that offers the usual salty start that quickly gives way to a wonderful cool mint flavor. It's like having a non-stop breath freshener in your mouth for two hours. Not overpowering, but snappy enough to let you know it's there. The first time I used this snus, I had to take it out a few times until the flavor mellowed. But now that I'm used to it, holding a portion for the full two hours is easy and a joy. Give this one a try if you were a menthol smoker or just looking for a light refreshing snus.

General White Another dry white offering from General, this one is more of a straight tobacco flavor with some hints of citrus from the bergamot flavor that is so familiar in the General line. Salt haters take note, this portion brings the salt with authority at the start. But it mellows nicely to the tobacco finish so have patience.

General Wintergreen Another white portion, this one did not agree with me at all. But if you're a fan of certain chew like Grizzly and Skoal, this might be right up your alley. I never dipped in my life but had plenty of friends that did so I had quite few chances to catch a whiff of the chew. This snus tastes exactly like those chews smell. Strong wintergreen flavor. Just about killed me. I had a portion in for about thirty seconds before I had to take it out. My lip just couldn't take the intensity of the flavor. Be ready for a blast with this one!

That's all for now. I'll post some more as I try different ones. Feel free to add your own thoughts even if it's for ones that I already posted. The more opinions the better. :)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Hitt and I are lovers of the General Mint. I probably use two portions of Mint to every other snus. You and Hitt agree on the Wintergreen where I look at it as something I like in limited usage. I'm terrible at assessing various snus flavors because I carry an Icetool can that I'll throw 4 or 5 different brands into each day. The flavors all intermix by the time I use any one portion.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Has anyone tried the Montecristo ? Smooth tobacco with a nice touch of bergamot.

Montercristo is not sold in the US as it has Cuban tobacco in it which is banned in the US. Of course you're a stones throw away from Cuba so go figure. In bygone days I picked a few cigars every time I got up to Canada.

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Guess I'll say a few words about a few of the things I've tried.

General white portion
One of my current favorites, I have a can on me at all times. As rebel said, it is pretty salty at first, but after that it's a great tobacco flavor with a bitter citrus note. As with eliquid I burn out on sweet flavors rapidly so the bitterness cuts that right out and I can use these all day.

Odens cold portion
I can't compare it to any other mint flavors as I haven't tried any other ones. It's a more robust tobacco flavor with a strong mint tingle. The tobacco shines through the mint flavor wise. Seems to have a better nic hit than general white also. My second favorite, though I probably use general white 2:1 with this.

Thunder wintergreen white portion
Oh lord, it burns! I have to start these in the back and spit a few times to handle them. It has a real nice wintergreen flavor though, more like wintergreen tea than a sweet lifesaver. Not for the feint of heart or those with sensitive gums.

Odens extreme cold white portion
Another gum wrecker, hardcore mint tingle and nic hit. Bought a can on impulse and am suffering through it. Waste not, want not. Similar flavor to the regular odens cold, just more intense. This actually made my teeth numb and caused over-nic nausea. Some masochistic people might like it though.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    It's really got nothing to do with being a vet. It's just a matter of how much your body will put up with. I tried both of the extremes that I bought but didn't finish either can. I can withstand the 22mg portions without getting sick but really just don't need that much at a time. Besides, I would hate to build up my tolerance so that I would need something that strong all the time.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Pulled this out of the freezer this morning.

Phantom blue white portion

A medium bodied tobacco taste with a touch of juniper berry and herbs. Sounds like a store description but it's exactly what I got. Slightly sweet but not enough to be off putting. I only got an hours worth of flavor out of it and it did get that "slimy" effect fairly quickly. It was pretty drippy also. A nice change of pace regardless.

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    Ive tried the Odens extreme, as well as Odens extreme 59. I like them both. Not my favorites, but definitely like them. If thet are 22mg of nic...I dont feel it. Sure they are strong, but I seem to get much more "kick" out of my Thunder long xstrong frosted (16mg) and my General long xstrong (20mg nic) which is by the way outstanding! My favorite "strong" portion at this point. Imo it taste very similar to General white, it just has an obvious better kick. Great for days off when im enjoying an ice cold one, like tonight! Cheers!

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    First thing I opened out of my recent order.

Lab 12 fresh mint

All I can say is wow! The best snus I've used to date. It has a lighter mint flavor that is very slightly sweet. There is a light tobacco flavor as well. Best of all, I don't detect any saltiness. Both flavors balance so well that even though both are light, there is a lot of flavor. If that makes any sense. The "no mint burn" is surprising, it's more of a heat sensation than anything.

The pouch is like velvet and being long fits in the lip very comfortably. As a white portion it did take 20 minutes to get going flavorwise, but lasted going on three hours. The nic hit is satisfying at 14mg but seems to release more slowly than odens or thunder strong portions.

Glad I took the chance on the 15 for the price of 10 promo at snus central! If you didn't like mint snus for the burn, give this a shot.

time2quit

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2013
    upstate new york
    Waho:9364743 said:
    First thing I opened out of my recent order.

Lab 12 fresh mint

All I can say is wow! The best snus I've used to date. It has a lighter mint flavor that is very slightly sweet. There is a light tobacco flavor as well. Best of all, I don't detect any saltiness. Both flavors balance so well that even though both are light, there is a lot of flavor. If that makes any sense. The "no mint burn" is surprising, it's more of a heat sensation than anything.

The pouch is like velvet and being long fits in the lip very comfortably. As a white portion it did take 20 minutes to get going flavorwise, but lasted going on three hours. The nic hit is satisfying at 14mg but seems to release more slowly than odens or thunder strong portions.

Glad I took the chance on the 15 for the price of 10 promo at snus central! If you didn't like mint snus for the burn, give this a shot.
    Thanks for the review Jesse. This will be next on my snuscentral order! I haven't tried a "Lab" flavor that has disappointed yet. Im sure this wont either. At 14mg, for me that's a perfect "all day" snus.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    portland OR
    Lab 07:
    I bought this because it was on sale, I wanted to have some strong stuff around, and SM products have a good reputation. I've had it in for over an hour, and it's still giving good flavor. The slim pouches are quite comfortable.
    Salt seems about the same as general... there's much less bergamot then general op, but still a bit. Some smokiness, and lots of tobacco. I don't get much of the cedar or walnut listed in the snuscentral description, but I do like the flavor. Maybe some leather in there?
    My mouth feels like I've been smoking. Weird feeling after a few years off cigs.

Nicotine is 18mg, and I can feel it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread