Status
Not open for further replies.

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
I didn't even see the post where he said what he got or was running. I just congratulated him on trying to quit.

I think most vapers on here do speak up if they see something that has the potential to be dangerous. I've seen multiple threads where several members have tried to steer someone in the right direction.

Still, I missed this. If I'd have noticed what he bought I would have said something.

I did too but being he's local I guess I paid a bit more attention. I'm sure plenty of responsible folks would try to steer him in the right direction. Still amazed at the number of folks that don't see anything wrong with this. I don't care what your background is, on day one of vaping you're not ready for a mech. I got 30+ years of electronics experience but still it sound to me like pushing the limits. To me, it takes more than an indoctrination at the vape shop to learn what you need to know.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
.... I have a problem with starting someone out with a mech. Maybe y'all don't agree but I think it is totally irresponsible.

Jeeze, and to think ... I had a friend that bought a new Corvette Z06 as his first car.

Was it irresponsible that the Chevy dealership didn't try to put him into a piece of crap 1.8L 4 cylinder Cruze instead?

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
In the new members section almost every day, some one walks out of a vape shop with their brand new / first 'mod' with a .08 ~ .2 vape shop expert build. When asked about the battery their answer is all to often blue, red, purple or 50 - 60 amp.
When asked about an ohm meter the answer is all too often I don't have / need one my battery will handle any build no problem the guy at the vape shop told me so.
Then why is my button getting so hot I cant touch it or my 'mod' gets so hot it burns my hand.

An experienced vaper familiar with sub ohm safety could spend an hour or two a day answering questions & giving advice that is usually ignored or argued.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Jeeze, and too think ... I had a friend that bought a new Corvette Z06 as his first car.

Was it irresponsible that the Chevy dealership didn't try to put him into a piece of crap 1.8L 4 cylinder Cruze instead?

Probably. People shouldn't be allowed to drive a Corvette at any age.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Nope...you ain't in the ballpark....I have a problem with starting someone out with a mech. Maybe y'all don't agree but I think it is totally irresponsible.

So how long does someone need to vape before a mechanical is prudent? If a guy walks into a shop, wants to quit smoking and knows more about battery safety and ohms law than you do, does he have to suck on an Ego for a year first? Not every new vaper wants to sub-ohm and push the limits of their battery. Not every new vapor is ignorant to the danger.

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Jeeze, and too think ... I had a friend that bought a new Corvette Z06 as his first car.

Not sure what your point is but in fact this is an analogy I thought of. Obviously you're young, but I was thinking of my 16 YO that wanted me to buy his older brothers '76 Vette for his first car. I could get it but yes, that would be terribly irresponsible of me to do that. BTW, do you have a Cruze for sale?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Still amazed at the number of folks that don't see anything wrong with this.

Even after my last comment about his build and battery, its being ignored by the other posters. They're talking about nicotine levels. :facepalm: The important safety stuff went completely over their head. THAT'S the reason I post pictures of burnt hands and exploded mods to get people's attention.

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Probably. People shouldn't be allowed to drive a Corvette at any age.

DamnCute.gif

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
So how long does someone need to vape before a mechanical is prudent? If a guy walks into a shop, wants to quit smoking and knows more about battery safety and ohms law than you do, does he have to suck on an Ego for a year first? Not every new vaper wants to sub-ohm and push the limits of their battery. Not every new vapor is ignorant to the danger.

I think this has been beaten to death in many other threads.

Yes a mech can be a reasonable solution for a new vaper in some circumstances. Someone who is knowledgeable about the risks and knows how to mitigate them, someone who receives good advice from their vendor, someone who is using the correct equipment for their vaping style and someone who is not going to push the limits of safety.

I would say that I feel much more comfortable recommending a new vaper goes with a regulated APV or an ego setup to start with. If that means that I am going to recommend the wrong device to those 1 or 2 in a hundred whose needs will be better met with a mech, then that is something I am willing to do.

Thing is, we don't know the people who are posting here, we have no idea as to their backgrounds or their circumstances. So all we can do is provide the best information about safety to them and hope they make the right decision for them.

So I agree. Sometimes a mech can be the right mod for a new vaper, but I would say in very few circumstances.

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va

When you can show me anyone familiar with using 30 amp high drain batteries on a 1 ohm load that isn't a vaper I'll concede to your point. I been working with electronics and teaching them for 30+ years, never dealt with anything close. I'm not sure why so many have a problem with a regulated mod that provides some protection. Each to his own I recon.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I think this has been beaten to death in many other threads.

Yes a mech can be a reasonable solution for a new vaper in some circumstances. Someone who is knowledgeable about the risks and knows how to mitigate them, someone who receives good advice from their vendor, someone who is using the correct equipment for their vaping style and someone who is not going to push the limits of safety.

I would say that I feel much more comfortable recommending a new vaper goes with a regulated APV or an ego setup to start with. If that means that I am going to recommend the wrong device to those 1 or 2 in a hundred whose needs will be better met with a mech, then that is something I am willing to do.

Thing is, we don't know the people who are posting here, we have no idea as to their backgrounds or their circumstances. So all we can do is provide the best information about safety to them and hope they make the right decision for them.

So I agree. Sometimes a mech can be the right mod for a new vaper, but I would say in very few circumstances.

I agree 100% but the point I am trying to make is just because you have used an ecig before does not make you qualified to move into an advanced setup. You still have to do the research, a new vaper can research just as easy as a veteran user.

eta: A short conversation with a customer would quickly ferret out how knowledgeable they are.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Jeeze, and to think ... I had a friend that bought a new Corvette Z06 as his first car.

Nope - I have seen to many young adults killed in the first week or even the first few hundred feet of buying a car way beyond their capabilities.

Notice, I said seen(and knew):(

..........................................................................................
I still recommend EGO's/clearos to New Vapers. Easier for most to transition from smoking to vaping. All the Fancy can come later if desired.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I agree 100% but the point I am trying to make is just because you have used an ecig before does not make you qualified to move into an advanced setup. You still have to do the research, a new vaper can research just as easy as a veteran user.

eta: A short conversation with a customer would quickly ferret out how knowledgeable they are.

Sorry AzP, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

I agree mostly with what you are saying, but I would also add that just by being a vaper (especially one that spends some time on ECF) that vapes an ego or an APV means you are more likely to be exposed to posts about battery, mod and coil safety - probably more so than a new vaper who has never even picked up a battery. Sometimes it's hard to know what you don't know.

That's not to say a new vaper can't research as much or more efficiently than someone with APV experience and there is no 'right of passage' where you have to use an ego or APV to start with for so many vapes before getting a mech - which I think is the point you were making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread