Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Would I ever recommend a mechanical and a dripper to someone new to the hobby? Of course not.

But let's be honest a person doesn't just walk into a vape shop and ask for a dripper and a mechanical, usually these people walk in with the intention of buying it to make big clouds. Usually they've seen it on YouTube and they want to blow the big puffy clouds. Now a vape shop has to make a rational decision, do they sell this person an item they want knowing they're new? Or opt to say no and lose this person as a customer forever when he finds out they won't do it? In some cases you can steer the person in the right direction but everybody I've ever seen at my local shop that's new and comes in asking for this stuff comes in knowing they want the big puffy clouds. I can't blame the vape shop either way really, unless it's the shop forcing the gear on the person which I've never seen... and I hope it doesn't ever go down that way, but if it does shame on you. But if they ask for that setup and they're over 18 what can you do, say no? That's a potential customer you will have lost forever.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
To be fair to those that posted on the thread, the OP didn’t even mention what he purchased until page two. How many times have we congratulated someone on quitting without reading several pages of congratulatory posts before adding our two cents? There are several people who congratulated him on quitting that never would have said what they did if they’d caught what he said about the mech mod. Thankfully the OP is heeding what Baditude said.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
To be fair to those that posted on the thread, the OP didn’t even mention what he purchased until page two. How many times have we congratulated someone on quitting without reading several pages of congratulatory posts before adding our two cents? There are several people who congratulated him on quitting that never would have said what they did if they’d caught what he said about the mech mod. Thankfully the OP is heeding what Baditude said.
I also saw that too. In that post he never touched on what he got, simple that he had switched and quit. I think most of us just expect a new vaper would be using an ego or protected MOD of some kind. Maybe the "Congratulations" should be followed up with a what did you get...?

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can speak to my experience. If I didn't get introduced to mech mods, RDA's and sub ohm vaping, I would still be smoking cigarettes. I tried to quit 2 times and failed using vaping as a cigarette substitute. So in the end, you need to vape what will get you off smokes. The analogies to cars and hamburgers are trying to make a point and I get it. But bottom line, vaping is in a category in itself since it is replacing a really awful habit. If I heard a salesperson refer a customer to a mech and RDA, explain basic battery and build safety, and lead them to quit smoking, then that salesperson did something right.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I only acquired my first mechanical device a week ago after 18+ months of vaping. I've been reading about them and thinking about them for a while, but I just wasn't sure about the whole battery amp draw / resistance, etc. stuff. I just continued to read tons of posts about them, including a ton of useful safety information from Baditude, and I finally pulled the trigger. I've been rebuilding coils for a year or so and feel very comfortable with what I'm doing now, but I'm about as low as I want to go at 1.0 ohm, maybe I'll try a 0.9 ohm coil just so I can say I'm a sub-ohmer!

I think if someone wrapped me an extremely sub-ohm coil, stuck a generic battery in a mech clone, and sent me on my way the first day, I would have no respect for the danger involved with these things. I picked that up over a period of many months of reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread