So, I got screamed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainlady

Aug 7, 2014
Canada
I take public transit to work. Saves me on the expenses related to driving. I got to the bus platform early so, I decided to have a quick vape.

Normally in non-smoking areas that are enclosed like bus shelters and on COLD or rainy days I will be polite and ask if anyone minds that I vape in there. Most people do not and I know it's not because I intimidate them into thinking that they need to say they don't because I'm seriously the least intimidating looking woman ever. Rather thin and mousy looking, it's obvious that I am definitely not the type to fly off into a ..... fest. The worst youll get from me is a bit snark or I may deem you as irrelevant and ignore you completely. If someone minds, I don't vape. If someone asks me to stop, I stop. No big deal.

The bus platform that I was at is basically this giant wind tunnel filled with bus exhaust and isn't an enclosed area despite having a roof of giant fans to suck up the exhaust so, there I'm comfortable vaping away. I usually stand or sit on a bench away from any groups of people. I do this out of politeness and because I often get approached by random people even when I'm not vaping, Canadian city life eh? I've been approached before about vaping but just for your standard questions about quitting and where to get one, how much it costs and what flavours are good. This time was different.

This old man senior citizen comes up to me and says "you're an idiot for smoking. put that cigarette out" I calmly replied with, "it's not a cigarette and I'm not smoking." Blow out some vaper and continue on idle like and waiting for my bus. He was walking to catch a bus that just stopped, a bus happily emitting grey fumes. He starts screaming, "it's the same damn thing, put that out! You're smoking around people! These are people!!" Blah, blah, blah some more random name calling. I'm really not interested in his abuse, realize he's a crusty old man that can't be educated and don't bother to respond or stop vaping. He runs on to his bus. His bus takes a few minutes to get going. I can only assume he was screaming at the poor bus driver.

Another woman comes up to me, takes out her earphones and say, "was he really yelling at you about that?" "Yea..." "I could hear him with the two buses stopped and my music on. Some people just don't know their boundaries eh?" "Uh huh, I wonder if he realized he was inhaling bus fumes" "well, don't worry about using that here. This isn't even an enclosed area." We chit chat about the poor design of the platform, she commends me on not smoking and I carry on about my day.

I wonder if he will be there today when I catch my bus.

BicStic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Switzerland
I always stand by the ashtray at the bus stops, ready to ask people why they are complaining, since I am standing next to the ashtray. I do not make a big fuss about vaping and try not to blow big clouds. So far no one has said anything, but I do get a few looks at my Hana clone /Kayfun setup. Vaping is not very popular here.

Captainlady

Aug 7, 2014
Canada
You are a much more patient person than I.

Just living up to the Canadian stereotype ;) Sure, I could have told him to go .... himself with a hot iron rod but nothing would have been accomplished and all those witnesses would have seen an angry vaper cursing out an old man rather than an ignorant old man verbally assaulting an innocent young woman trying to better herself by choosing to vape rather than smoke :)

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
As a pig-dog American, I can confirm that I would have blown a huge cloud in this old dude's face and mentioned something about how he fought in a war to give me the freedom to do it.

I just assume every old person is a veteran.

In Canada? The old fool was probably an expatriate U.S. draft dodger.

Reactions: ElectriSean

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
Right, I forgot we're dealing with Canadians.

I'd probably mention something about how milk in bags is impractical, and it's much easier to handle when it's in a carton.

So long as I get my igloo built in time for winter and get my dog sled fixed, then I'll have time to worry about milk...

misu

Nov 16, 2014
B~lo,NY
I'm thinking he was a cranky old man. This sort of crankiness transcends national borders :)
I hope aspire to that sort of crankiness some day. I feel, at 80, I'm entitled. Until then, I'm studying and making a list of how to accomplish such feats of offensiveness. So far, farting really loud in public, leaving the house improperly dressed, and shopping with my cart smack dab in the center of the isle are tops on this list :D

Reactions: Garden gnome

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I'm thinking he was a cranky old man. This sort of crankiness transcends national borders :)
I hope aspire to that sort of crankiness some day. I feel, at 80, I'm entitled. Until then, I'm studying and making a list of how to accomplish such feats of offensiveness. So far, farting really loud in public, leaving the house improperly dressed, and shopping with my cart smack dab in the center of the isle are tops on this list :D

Don't forget driving around at the speed of a sea urchin.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri

Don't ever use a debit or credit card. Start fumbling around for your checkbook only after all your groceries have been checked, and then make sure the process of writing the check takes at least as long as it took to write War and Peace. Oh, and don't forget to carefully post the check in your check register while everyone else continues to wait in line. Finally, before leaving, have a nice long chat with the clerk about the weather and your kidney stones.

misu

Nov 16, 2014
B~lo,NY
Don't ever use a debit or credit card. Start fumbling around for your checkbook only after all your groceries have been checked, and then make sure the process of writing the check takes at least as long as it took to write War and Peace. Oh, and don't forget to carefully post the check in your check register while everyone else continues to wait in line. Finally, before leaving, have a nice long chat with the clerk about the weather and your kidney stones.

Right?

...In your sit-down shopping cart. :facepalm: But why wait? You can do that now, if you shop at Walmart. Everyone else does! :facepalm:

Andria
I actually could now. I have a severely injured spinal cord in my neck. I have a dbl tag, that I only use when I'm alone and can't push the cart in the snow. I don't because walking is good for me. I use the mini-carts more for support. I'll even use it for a loaf of bread. I'd use the rider carts but they're too slow! Even my gimpy self can walk faster than those. Although, when I go with my daughter, I say "Hey! Wanna race?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread