So my doc doesn't like vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpboyle

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Louisville, KY USA
So I had my regular checkup at the VA yesterday. When the doc asked me about any changes since my last visit six months ago, I told her I had quit smoking by switching to vaping. She then immediately chimed in with "popcorn lung" and that ecigs have also been linked to pulmonary fibrosis.

Anybody got some decent links for counter arguments?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: mauricem00

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
So I had my regular checkup at the VA yesterday. When the doc asked me about any changes since my last visit six months ago, I told her I had quit smoking by switching to vaping. She then immediately chimed in with "popcorn lung" and that ecigs have also been linked to pulmonary fibrosis.

Anybody got some decent links for counter arguments?

I have one. Tell her best of luck to ya, walk out, and get another doctor.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Unfortunately, some branches of the service have lumped vaping into the same category as smoking. And with the CDC pushing their misinformation campaign, more and more docs are going to buy into the falsehoods.

Only thing you can do is provide additional information that debunks those studies. CASAA would be a good start with their links to studies. Learn About Electronic Cigarettes

lpboyle

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Louisville, KY USA
Unfortunately, some branches of the service have lumped vaping into the same category as smoking. And with the CDC pushing their misinformation campaign, more and more docs are going to buy into the falsehoods.

Only thing you can do is provide additional information that debunks those studies. CASAA would be a good start with their links to studies. Learn About Electronic Cigarettes
Thanks, I forgot all about that CASAA page.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Funny I mentioned to my Doc that I quit smoking and was just vaping, he told me if I can keep it up after 3 months he will consider me a non smoker and would pass that info to my insurance company

I had the same reaction as well, I had been vaping about 3-4 months when I told my Doctor. He immediately changed my files to former smoker.

Super Flex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Tuscaloosa al
I am a Vet also and both my Primary Care and Mental Health provider have approved of my choice of vaping to smoking. All of my health problems I,e blood pressure, O2 and A1C have all moved back into normal ranges, especially my O2 because I was on oxygen 24/7, its now at 91-93 as opposed to 79-85, so needless to say their very happy with my lifestyle choice.

I have one. Tell her best of luck to ya, walk out, and get another doctor.
you can request another doctor if your uncomfortable with your current one.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Funny I mentioned to my Doc that I quit smoking and was just vaping, he told me if I can keep it up after 3 months he will consider me a non smoker and would pass that info to my insurance company

This works when your Dr is medically oriented.... Unfortunately, many DRs are politically/bureaucratically oriented. Which mean they follow rules not logic or facts.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
you can request another doctor if your uncomfortable with your current one.

I really think he should. It's clear this doc's cup is already full, of the wrong stuff, and she's not going to listen. I deal with that mindset all the time at work, and once they take that position there's nothing you can tell them.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
IMO, don't argue with your doctor. Vapers cherry pick the studies that support their argument. But we are hardly scientists that can decide what the truth really is.

If you develop the ailments they suggest, then they treat it. If not, it's a non issue.

This doctor is quite clearly prejudiced against vaping, and prejudice isn't science. I'm willing to bet she's not looked into it at all, and hers is a knee-jerk reaction to it in which SHE cherry-picked from what ANTZ puts out.

lpboyle

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Louisville, KY USA
I may have to request a new doc. However, apart from the attitude about vaping, I actually like this one. She actually takes some other health issues I have (chonic pain in my back and hip that affects my walking) seriously as opposed to my previous doc who always gave me a "suck it up and drive on" attitude.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Get some info on diacetyl and juice manufacturers voluntarily removing it from their recipes. That should help clear up the popcorn lung argument.

No one has ever gotten popcorn lung from vaping. Only those working in the popcorn factories have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread