This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by chillywilly, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. chillywilly

chillywilly Full Member

Aug 24, 2012
    USA
    Have a standard battery from V2. Plugged it into it's charger and then I smelled something. The charging light went off, and then the end of the battery lit up orange, caught on fire and started smoking!! ...!? This is so terrifying. I usually leave these plugged in overnight, NO WAY! Warning to everybody, be careful! Bought a pack of real smokes..at least I know when these are on fire :facepalm:

First 2 of bad battery, last picture is of good battery.
    View attachment 132154 View attachment 132157 View attachment 132155

Edit: Added pictures to post.

2. jcwest

jcwest Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Pontotoc MS
    Dont give up man.. Stranger things have happened.. Generally you shouldnt charge a battery when it is fully charged .. when the light turns green.Take it out..

3. 18SixFifty

18SixFifty Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2012
    Michigan
    Hmmm, not to say I don't believe you, but it's a little strange that you are this new and that you would post that you ran out and got "real smokes". I kinda feel like I'm being punked. If not I will say I'm glad you are ok.

4. chillywilly

chillywilly Full Member

Aug 24, 2012
    USA
    Ha sorry, not being punked, just a little upset. I'm bad with words, forgive me.

5. lotsoffish

lotsoffish Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2012
    Buffalo, New York
    I would REALLY like to see some photo's of that battery and any damage it did to your charger. Can you take a few?

6. Cuando

Cuando Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I got a 'hrm?' reading OP's post, too.

There was just the guy-pouring-soda-on-the-burning-floor-of-the-car battery explosion spectacular of a thread. At least he had pics.

7. demps11

demps11 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Western NY
    Yes, can you please post a photo? As they say...pics or it didn't happen!

8. lotsoffish

lotsoffish Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2012
    Buffalo, New York
    There is a lot of controversy regarding just what happens when battery's fail this way. You should post ALL pertinent info on this incident.

Like-

Exact brand and type of battery, what type of charger you used, how old the battery and charger are, how many times you have charged the battery, actual damages to the battery along with anything and everything else you can observe such as condition of the cords etc.

You might want to even hang on to the battery and charger for a while in case somebody wants to take a closer look at your equipment.

9. zidakano

zidakano Full Member

Sep 11, 2011
    The Internet
    any device that has a li-ion battery can do this at some point. So that's cellphones, laptops, tablets, gps, pretty much any modern device that is rechargeable. It is just something you need to be careful with inspect your batteries regularly make sure they aren't swollen or have tears in the outer wrap and make sure to buy quality batteries as some can be pretty much anything wrapped up in some shrink wrap and can vary greatly in quality battery to battery.

10. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  11. jim829

jim829 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    Owensboro, KY
    sounds like you ought to get a burn bag and a new bat. regardless of whether or not the pics appear, this thread is a good reminder of the possibilities. safety first!

12. chillywilly

chillywilly Full Member

Aug 24, 2012
    USA
    Will fill out the form, thank you. Here are some pictures. First 2 are of the one that caught on fire and the 3rd one is the good black battery.

2MfUSh.jpg pV2M8h.jpg 9iAPEh.jpg

It was a V2 standard silver battery. Maybe a month old, if that, with the standard charger it came with. Charged maybe 15 times?

Edit: Sorry if the pics are crappy, it was the best I could do. Also, I unplugged it immediately after I saw it glowing.

13. Cuando

Cuando Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Eek. Total nightmare. Nothing got destroyed besides the battery, I'm taking it. Good thing you were there to catch it.

14. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    v2 had a lot of promise when it started. I think they went a little crazy with the success they had at first. I started there and things went downhill fairly fast. First were shipping delays then the carto probs then juices tasted funny. They kept promising new juices etc etc. This really doesn't surprise me.

15. Techwipe

Techwipe Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2011
    The high seas
    IC chip fried, most likely a short.

16. chillywilly

chillywilly Full Member

Aug 24, 2012
    USA
    Yeah nothing but the battery. Thank god I was there to catch it, I was about to leave the house. Scared the hell out of me.

klynnn: Where do you get your kr808d batteries?

17. jdiulus

jdiulus Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Scary Stuff!

I occasionally leave my battery charging while I'm not at home. I don't do it often but occasionally I'm more concerned with coming back home to a fresh battery instead of having to wait!

Man how bad it would suck to come back to a house burning down. Dont think I will ever leave a battery unattended ever again.

18. chillywilly

chillywilly Full Member

Aug 24, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, would be a horrible thing. No more unsupervised charging for me either.

Oh, and I contacted V2 support. They were nice, but didn't seem to really care that they almost burned my house down. Getting a new one, hopefully it works...

19. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    There is a battery thread on this site that is a must read for all vapers. I don't have the link but someone may post it. I learned to never leave batts unattended. Mine are always within reach.

20. Dominicanto

Dominicanto Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2012
    New York City
    I take this for granted far too often. I charge up IMR 18500 and 18650s every night on an Xtar WPAII charger. Even with all the safety mechanisms built into the batts and chargers, it's still a risky proposition leaving them out to charge over-night. Hate to have to baby sit these things, but safety first, especially with kids running around. Off the charger they go until I can charge them at work in the morning...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.