So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
So sorry this happened! Was it an 808 batt? I had one 808 that sparked and smoked on me once, so that was end of that one. I now charge in a metal cake pan, I never charge while not at home and never charge over night, safety first. Just some precautions we all need to be aware of. Be safe but don't give up! bnrk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I work for a hospital that has a strict no tobacco policy. I wear a scrub uniform while at work so I keep my street clothes in a locker in the men's changing room. I frequently stealth vape during my breaks by my locker, which is conveniently hidden by a row of other lockers in the changing room. I frequently would put my two mods, a silver bullet and a bb, into my cacky shorts front pocket hanging on a hook in my locker. Ok, now that the story has been set up...

I went to my locker for a couple of toots on my bb, when I immediately noticed that it was too hot to touch. I pulled back my hand from the pocket and noticed a blackish, powdery, sooty substance on my fingers, and also then noticed an odd smell in the area. I got a paper towel to remove the bb from the pocket and allowed it to cool enough to remove the battery. It looked like this:
View attachment 132164 click pic to enlarge detail
The battery had undergone a thermal runaway event and vented. It blew out its endcaps and melted the exterior skin. The bb did its job by venting the gases via the power switch as designed, and contained what could have been an explosion, I suppose.

The bb has one of those protruding horned power switches. The switch became compressed in the tight pants pocket space by the hefty silver bullet. The Trustfire "protected" 14500 battery shorted out from the continuous compression of the power switch.

I had put the two mods in my pants pocket in the locker numerous times before w/o incident. But it only takes one time to make a memorable impression. Never again. This was a user error issue. Vapors beware.

View attachment 132166
Despite its compact size, the protuding horn button on the BB mod makes it non-pocket friendly.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Yep it was an 808. New to vaping too, this isn't a good start :(

Yes it is kind of scarey for sure, but be aware it can happen to your cell phone or laptop too, these smaller 808's are really usually some of the safest. But I know the one I had starting smoking out the led end and I knew not good! Smelled like burning electronics too.

Here is the link to battery safety, this is about mods/APV's that take batteries placed inside a tube, more risk, but this is good info for everyone to know. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-news/129007-warning-rechargeable-batteries-apvs.html

bnrk

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I work for a hospital that has a strict no tobacco policy. I wear a scrub uniform while at work so I keep my street clothes in a locker in the men's changing room. I frequently stealth vape during my breaks by my locker, which is conveniently hidden by a row of other lockers in the changing room. I frequently would put my two mods, a silver bullet and a bb, into my cacky shorts front pocket hanging on a hook in my locker. Ok, now that the story has been set up...

I went to my locker for a couple of toots on my bb, when I immediately noticed that it was too hot to touch. I pulled back my hand from the pocket and noticed a blackish, powdery, sooty substance on my fingers, and also then noticed an odd smell in the area. I got a paper towel to remove the bb from the pocket and allowed it to cool enough to remove the battery. It looked like this:
View attachment 132164 click pic to enlarge detail
The battery had undergone a thermal runaway event and vented. It blew out its endcaps and melted the exterior skin. The bb did its job by venting the gases via power switch as designed, and contained what could have been an explosion, I suppose.

The bb has one of those protruding horned power switches. The switch became compressed in the tight pants pocket space by the hefty silver bullet. The Trustfire "protected" 14500 battery shorted out from the continuous compression of the power switch.

I had put the two mods in my pants pocket in the locker numerous times before w/o incident. But it only takes one time to make a memorable impression. Never again. This was a user error issue. Vapors beware.

View attachment 132166
the protuding horn button on the BB mod makes it non-pocket friendly

Wow so glad it did not cause a major fire or something! Batteries can do some weird things when the fire button stays on. Glad you were not injured! bnrk

TH0MAS CR0WN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
CA
Wow ! That's one of my biggest fears

This is one of my biggest fears as well with vaporizers. That and it just exploding in my hands

Everytime I get someone into e-cigs I always tell them to make sure they don't leave their battery unattended when charging and not to charge overnight.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
It says the X2s is a passthrough as well? So when it is plugged into a USB port it acts as a passthrough, but still as a battery when not connected? Does smoking through the passthrough damage the battery in any way?

If you use the X2 as a passthrough do not use it on your computer usb. It needs 1.5A output because while you use it as a passthrough it is also charging. Get the 1.5A wall charger from Smokeless Image - you can use it as a passthrough fine with that.

You can actually charge it with any wall charger - I use a 1.0A output for charging mine. But if you use it as a passthrough then you need 1.5A output.
This info is on the Smokeless Image site in the description also.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
You can vape using the PT on a laptop using the X2! But not if the charge is very low. The amp isn't strong enough on most laptops or computers to charge and vape. BUT...if you plug the X2 in and it still has a decent charge already on it...the PT feature will keep it close to maintained. When you stop vaping it will proceed to add to the charge. If you need to charge the battery (it's low) then use the pass through plugged into a minimum if 1.5 amp wall adapter, otherwise you are fine. The X2 is an awesome device. .

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Yeah nothing but the battery. Thank god I was there to catch it, I was about to leave the house. Scared the hell out of me.

klynnn: Where do you get your kr808d batteries?

No one should ever charge batteries and leave them unattended - never. I use big battery mods and the batts are metered after use and also after coming off the charger. I also saw someone once put a cartridge on a battery type that looked like a cigarette. It started sizzling all by itself without any inhale. It was an automatic, but I wouldn't even leave those types screwed on after seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread