So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

SI advise not to do this. And you can blow your computer usb hub. You'll also void your warranty of you get a batt problem.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
If you use the X2 as a passthrough do not use it on your computer usb. It needs 1.5A output because while you use it as a passthrough it is also charging. Get the 1.5A wall charger from Smokeless Image - you can use it as a passthrough fine with that.

You can actually charge it with any wall charger - I use a 1.0A output for charging mine. But if you use it as a passthrough then you need 1.5A output.
This info is on the Smokeless Image site in the description also.

You can vape using the PT on a laptop using the X2! But not if the charge is very low. The amp isn't strong enough on most laptops or computers to charge and vape. BUT...if you plug the X2 in and it still has a decent charge already on it...the PT feature will keep it close to maintained. When you stop vaping it will proceed to add to the charge. If you need to charge the battery (it's low) then use the pass through plugged into a minimum if 1.5 amp wall adapter, otherwise you are fine. The X2 is an awesome device. .

Never leave a passthrough unattended either - yes, when I was a noob, I didnt know this either. Pics are on the second page of this thread

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vapor4life/144668-careful-passthroughs.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/217880-exploding-ego-t-battery.html

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I'm also a big battery PV vaper. My batteries never go on the charger until an hour has passed since they were last activated. They come off the charger, get metered and go in a battery box. I make sure I have enough batteries to use them in long turnaround rotation.

Coming out of a battery box, if they are going into a Provari I check them with the Provari If not, I check them with a multimeter before they go in a PV, like the Helix, Empire, SB.

Everyone should know how many cycles their batteries are good for at time of purchase. Every battery type is different. Read up.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Before people all start freaking out I highly recommend that you read my Vaper's Handbook section on batteries to prevent this (if possible) or if not possible then to realize how extremely rare this is.

The link to it's in my signature, refer to question 22: Batteries 101.

Also NEVER charge your batteries unattended and especially when you are asleep unless you want to take a chance on burning to death in bed.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Agree 100%. I never left batts charging unattended and a few months ago almost had a batt thermal meltdown on my charger at home- no damage cuz I was there and noticed it was taking a long time to charge. Still wasn't enuff to warrant me buying a charging bag/ box. A few weeks ago was up at the cottage for the weekend and left an 18650 batt charging unattended all week in the living room. I finally smartened up and now have a metal box in which I charge my batts.

I don't know why more people aren't using protection...
LipoSack.com

Last edited:

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
The good news is the small minis batteries are "safer" when these things happen. Still could cause a fire or something.
Again, I'm glad you and your house are OK.

vapor4life is respected 808 kit supplier. IMO I find most 808 items expensive. If you want a mini, maybe a 510 (vapow has an AWESOME sale going on their kits) and an adapter (510-901 or 510-808 work) to use your 808 cartos on your 510. It worked well for me doing it that way too. I had my 808s & 510 and got 2 adapters to use what I wanted on either battery.

be sure to get 2 adapters to go both ways
510-901
901-510

I was very happy with my v2 batteries (besides awful battery charging-life, which is normal for any mini). However, the cartos, I was PO'd to the max. All but 1 of my cartos came EMPTY. Seriously. 1 puff, then burnt carto.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
I'm no expert but I recall someone here saying that the batteries also can't fire if there's no atomizer on them. So I've also taken to removing the tanks at night or if I'm not going to be around it for awhile.

The charger that came with my eGo C said it was a smart charger and would turn off when done, but after reading a couple horror stories here, I don't trust it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
1) You would be foolish to use 808ds from this company again. They are not a top recommended ECF 808 battery company either. I would never use bats from them again.

2) IMO Bloog has the best 808ds... I've used the 65s, 78s, 102s and have had 10 charging all the time in 2 strip chargers for a year with no problems till I went away from 808ds. Bloog bats are top notch and their carto blanks are the best for sure.

http://bloogplanet.com/

3) This is a great outlet charger for 808d users... Get the usb inserts and you can charge 5 bats at once with a wall outlet. It's only $20... Had 3 of these too and they never failed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BV7XQ8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Too much amp draw for a computer. Yes, the battery has a safety in case of an overload, but don´t overload your computer. Surely you have a cell phone charger somewhere from a past phone, or buy a mini USB Blackberry charger.These have charge regulators and safety that will stop charging your batt in case of a short circuit.

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
Ok, guys, set me straight here. Are these a certain type of batteries that you are talking about? What about my little Volt 78mm autos? Are we talking strictly about manual batteries? I don't generally leave them charging overnight (although I have been guilty of this a few times due to simply forgetting it was on the charger). I use a USB charger plugged into my desktop, and I'm always right in the room w/it, unscrew it as soon as it's charged, and it goes into my PCC from SI, which then goes into my purse or on the table. Does it have anything to do w/whether a carto/clearo is left screwed onto the battery?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I honestly don't know & just want to be safe.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Any battery and/ or charger carries risk. This includes ALL batt chargers- cellphone, flashlights. In my case (post #46) the shutdown system/ chip in my charger failed and even though the batt was fully charged ( checked with meter) the chrager was still pumping juice into the batt and it was warm.
This was the charger I was using:
"and features smart-charge cut-off. "
Trustfire Tr-001 Multicharger | Parts and Accessories | iVAPE

As far as carrying spare batteries around I always have them in a plastic batt case or isolated from other objects.

Ok, guys, set me straight here. Are these a certain type of batteries that you are talking about? What about my little Volt 78mm autos? Are we talking strictly about manual batteries? I don't generally leave them charging overnight (although I have been guilty of this a few times due to simply forgetting it was on the charger). I use a USB charger plugged into my desktop, and I'm always right in the room w/it, unscrew it as soon as it's charged, and it goes into my PCC from SI, which then goes into my purse or on the table. Does it have anything to do w/whether a carto/clearo is left screwed onto the battery?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I honestly don't know & just want to be safe.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Any battery and/ or charger carries risk.
To further answer the question from hnyb0210...

Although any rechargeable battery carries these risks, they most certainly vary in severity.
--All other factors being equal, the more power the battery stores, the more damaging a failure will be
--There are many different chemistries of batteries, and they vary widely in risk factor

Generally speaking, the bigger the battery, the more the potential for damage.

As for chemistries, I use the 18650-sized NiMH batteries, and I feel one hell of a lot safer for doing so.
The IMR batteries also have a better safety profile as well.

And stacking batteries multiplies the risk in a number of ways that are better explained by someone other than me.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread