So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

estaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
New York, NY
Thanks for the link, good to know.

This was my 2nd silver battery I have had to replace, so this time I am replacing it with another black one. Shouldn't really matter I thought, but the CS guy said they are more reliable. Sounds strange to me. What's another good place to buy 808?
Smokeless image for sure! Trust me! Smokelessimage.com

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Im thinking something of this sort may work well..... :confused:

Project enclosure.jpg

These are electronic hobbyist project enclosure boxes.
My single battery charger would fit this one ( 5.25x3.0x2.125" ).
They can be found at Radio Shack > Aluminum Project Enclosure - RadioShack.com .
It can be slightly cut/modified to accommodate the power cord to be fed through a slot cut in them.
Would be easy to do with a dremmel tool. They can also be found at various electronic supply shops in various sizes.

Last edited:

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
Yea, Li batteries(usually LiIon/Poly) can be nasty if they short out
The reason they can be so nasty is because the cathode can release oxygen during overheat/charge. One tiny spark and you got a fireball

I'm hoping LiFe batteries(LiFePO4) become more common as it's extremely difficult to get the cathode to release oxygen in that mix
They can still overheat and melt, but there won't be a 2ft jet of flame coming out of it

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just got another idea.......
(BTW I am an electronics hobbyist)
It would be easy to design a circuit that would sound an audible alarm when charge voltage reached 4.1v.
No longer having to constantly glance at the charger often and think about it or guess when that light turns green, you'd just hear a series of beeps and know its done.
Or it could completely cut the battery off from the circuit with a relay when its done.

Last edited:

chillywilly

Aug 24, 2012
USA
Everybody says their chargers turn green, mine turns blue. Do the V2 chargers work on all other 808 models?

I know next to nothing about setting up relays and all of that, but I love the idea. Was thinking earlier of putting a timer on the outlet it's plugged into and have it on for 2-3 hours. Then it would automatically shut off the power after that time. This isn't too say that nothing will happen within that window, but it's better than overcharging for hours (I almost always forget). If the battery isn't charged in 2-3 hours I would bet it is pretty close. I have a cheap timer laying around, just throwing around ghetto ideas :confused:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Just got another idea.......
(BTW I am an electronics hobbyist)
It would be easy to design a circuit that would sound an audible alarm when charge voltage reached 4.1v.
No longer having to constantly glance at the charger often and think about it or guess when that light turns green, you'd just hear a series of beeps and know its done.
Or it could completely cut the battery off from the circuit with a relay when its done.

There are a coupla fuses made that do this for mods / bottom feeders.

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again since nobody seems to be paying any attention...
LipoSack.com

People seem to be trying to figure out how to invent some kind of solution.
The solution was invented a long time ago.

Ahh....got it....stick it in a bag < problem solved

.....very creative , but I don't think this community would be as helpful if we only stuck to one persons proposed solution. Just tryng to help and throw some maybe other helpful ideas out there as part of the 'community'.

.....back to solution ...... with no pollution.

There are a coupla fuses made that do this for mods / bottom feeders.

There are battery chargers that already do this?

Last edited:

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I may design such a charger. At least for my own personal use. Would feel more comfortable to put my battery in a charger before bed and take it out in morning with no worry, I like to have a hassle and worry free lifestyle especially when I work hard for my home and the children that I love that live in it - part of my whole reasoning for quitting smoking in the first place.

With ~ $30 worth of electrical parts using this Arduino - HomePage I could design a charger that could.......

1. constantly monitor charge voltage and display it on a 2 digit L.E.D display.
2. provide a non intrusive short 'beep' every 5 min or so when charge is > 4.0v
3. provide a audible alarm when charging is done.
4. completely and automatically remove battery from circuit when battery charge = 4.1v ( or this could be adjustable to user's liking )
5. all of this circuit and battery holder enclosed in a fire safe metal or aluminum case for preventative battery failure. ( a battery can still fail with all these measures in mind while charging, until we find better chemicals for use in batteries like the new LiFop ) .

Most current battery chargers do already turn the LED from red to green when finished , but continue to provide a 'trickle' charge. This can still be dangerous especially if the batteries are old, droped,cheap Chinese knock offs, or under higher than designed current draws.

The Arduino is a very powerful platform for hobbyist and inventors.

Last edited:

chillywilly

Aug 24, 2012
USA
I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again since nobody seems to be paying any attention...
LipoSack.com

People seem to be trying to figure out how to invent some kind of solution.
The solution was invented a long time ago.

I heard ya dude. This is a great thing to have, will definitely look into buying one.

@Vapance
If you made this I would definitely buy one off of you. I'm sure a lot of people would. It is something I wish I had the knowledge to do :(

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread