So now you can even get killed for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Don't distort, or mis-represent, the facts to suit your bias or agenda.
There are I'm sure several direct causes of this man's death...vaping isn't one of them.

The deaths at the hands of our police is a serious issue, one without easy or simple solutions.
But this is not a poster case for BLM or others' to hang their protestations on.

Tragic, but justified, shoot. Sadly.

Last edited:

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Don't distort, or mis-represent, the facts to suit your bias or agenda.
There are I'm sure several direct causes of this man's death...vaping isn't one of them.

The deaths at the hands of our police is a serious issue, one without easy or simple solutions.
But this is not a poster case for BLM or others' to hang their case on.

Tragic, but justified, shoot. Sadly.
The facts released at this time are right there. Nothing screams "justified" in anything I read. You don't go around shooting unarmed people. Period.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
Very funny. He got shot because he was deranged and attempted to confront the cops using the vaping device portrayed as a weapon. So, no. You're not likely to get shot while vaping unless confronting police with their guns pulled and ignoring numerous command to drop your weapon. Guy probably had something funny is his atomizer and was playing out a delusion...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Yeah, I saw the footage, and this time, the man was aggressive , would not take his hands out of this pocket and when he did he took the mod, took a shooting stance and aimed at the cops.

But I still think something has to be done to try and diffuse the situation, gun on suspect or not. Seems they take the "cowboy' wild west take on "to serve and protect" Maybe try and shoot to disable not kill?

I know I will get some static from this, and I know the Polices lives are important too, but the difference is this, when you become a police officer YOU KNOW you are taking risks. You know, you are going up against some bad guys. I think the better prepared officers are the ones that served in the armed forces and got shot at. They are better trained to be more selective when taking shots. They are more aware of the possibility of harming fellow soldiers and civilians.

The average police officer rarely, if ever actually shoots or gets shot at and probably the adrenaline and fear make them panic.

Its just frightening out there these days.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The facts released at this time are right there. Nothing screams "justified" in anything I read. You don't go around shooting unarmed people. Period.

Sure you can.
And if you'd looked at the still photo of the final moments of the incident... you'd know when.

"Period".

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Maybe try and shoot to disable not kill?

There are several reasons why that is A: ill-advised, and B: not permitted (in perhaps every jurisdiction) in the US.
It's a popular thought, but simply not a realistic one. Neither legally nor tactically.

The average police officer rarely, if ever actually shoots or gets shot at and probably the adrenaline and fear make them panic.

And there's one now. ;)

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong when you're the one on the
pavement bleeding to death. Doesn't matter what's justified or not
when you're the one dead.
I don't know what's right or what's wrong in regards to police shootings,
but wouldn't that be a topic for 'Outside' forum?
No one got killed for vaping.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
My wife asked me a while back "Why don't they shoot the weapon out of their hand?" I took her to a gun range, set her up with a target and she couldn't do it without duress. I then told her she had two seconds or less to do it and stressed her as much as I dared on the next shot, she didn't even hit the target, point made.
I do not like cops, I've had many bad experiences with them, and a lot get an attitude with the badge, I'm not justifying them by any means! BUT, in this day and age, having to make split second decisions and having targets on their backs now days, I couldn't do that job.
In a nutshell, if a cop feels the need to pull his gun, you either comply or want to comit sucide by cop. Trust me, I've had many a cop pull a gun on me, multiple cops a couple of times, but I'm still alive!

Super Flex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Tuscaloosa al

This is so true, when I saw the CNN footage this morning I told my wife that's a PV, not a gun, but when you pull something out of your pocket that's metal and even remotely looks like a gun, you may get shot.

I sincerely hope my post is the last, because this truly has nothing to do with vaping,and it brings everyone down.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

I Conceal/Carry.

I've been around guns all my life, and am well practiced in both gun safety and shoot/don't shoot scenarios.

I'll tell you right now, if I'm already in a position where I feel my life may be in danger, and you get in a shooting stance and point a mech mod with a wide bore drip tip on the end at me, I'll almost certainly shoot you. From my perspective that's a gun barrel.

moda.jpg

1dd9a70.jpg

You're 10 feet away, some guy gets in a shooting stance, and you're looking straight down one of these. You've got about 1/10th of a second to decide if you're going to shoot to defend yourself, or allow the other guy to possibly shoot you. What do you do? Do you risk that being a gun pointed at you and let him kill you?

I would LOVE to take you to a shoot/don't shoot course with me. See if you would let yourself be killed.

BTW, that top pic is my RX200 with a black Serpent RTA on it. Looks a heck of a lot like a gun from that angle, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Except for rare individuals, shooting a person, justified or unjustified, is a traumatic event. There have been cases of unjustified or otherwise avoidable shooting by police (as well as injury and death by lethal physical force). It shouldn't happen, but expecting perfect judgement in every instance under incredible pressure is an unrealistic standard. In this case, it has nothing to do with a vape device (and really doesn't belong in this subforum, where are the mods to move stuff when you really do need it) but holding an object in a shooting stance. If I were the person having an object aimed directly at me in that stance, I would in all likelihood have done exactly the same thing.

That does not condone unjustified shootings or physical harm in any other manner. But this case does not seem to fit that category, and that it was a vape device in his hand is irrelevant. Oh, and shoot to wound? Can't be done without endangering others, as you cannot guarantee the person will be incapable of shooting you or other people, and shooting the gun out of someone's hand is only for movies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
This was suicide by cop.

The man wanted to die so he knowingly pointed his mod at the cops, while concealing enough of it to present it as a gun.

I would have shot him too.

Ill agree there is a nationwide problem with poorly trained officers and terrified officers who shouldnt have been given a badge, but this isnt really an example of either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread