So what are the stockpiling strategies in light of an uncertain future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I have a large upright deep freezer that I keep in an out building, I intentionally bought a non-frost free model so that it doesn't periodically "warm" for the defrost feature. Summers here get above 100F and the humidity in eastern Okla. (Green Country), is usually high in the Spring, Summer and Fall. I keep the freezer set -well- below -0F and have had no problems for the past three years. Once a year I move my liquid Nic over to my regular freezer and defrost the deep freeze, moving it all back when finished. My liquid nic is stored in 60ml opaque glass bottles which in turn are organized in stackable plastic containers, my "stash" (currently 11 liters of 100mg), occupies less than half of one shelf. If you buy a well made well insulated freezer, keeping it in a hot environment doesn't make much of a difference unless you're constantly opening it throughout the day, then it might.
I just planned on packing a cooler and topping it with dry ice if I ever move or need to do a defrost...

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
...my "stash" (currently 11 liters of 100mg), occupies less than half of one shelf. If you buy a well made well insulated freezer, keeping it in a hot environment doesn't make much of a difference unless you're constantly opening it throughout the day, then it might.

LOL!!! You win! :) That's the most 100MG NIC stash I've ever seen on ECF from a Vapor consumer as opposed to a vendor! Period! How close are you to the nearest airport where jets can land! /lol /joke

I'm sure you have your reasons but that's really none of my business. Congrats!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
By coincidence my two final 1 liter bottles of nic were on the porch when I got home from work. They join the first one bought some months ago. Also in the box were 3 1 liter amber glass bottles. As soon as I started working with the glass bottles I realized that keeping them unbroken for years is going to take some discipline. Are we SURE the nic can't stay in the plastic bottles for the duration? MFS advertises the original bottles as HDPE plastic. Does anybody know anything about that material? I ignored those misgivings and transfered the nic from the new arrivals into the glass bottles, labeled contents and date, put them in the zip lock bags that protected the plastic bottles, re wrapped them in the bubble wrap they shipped in and put them in the freezer. They are secure on the door shelf, which I never use. Now they will sit there for years before they might be opened. Whew.

May be there will never be restricted access or taxes on 100mg nic or may be it will be more years before those come and time to stockpile later but each of those $50 bottles is worth almost $12,000 in cigarette dollars. It's time to learn how to make this work. Lesson 1, glass nic bottles are a risk. You can't vape a puddle on the floor. It would be good to have an alternative.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
By coincidence my two final 1 liter bottles of nic were on the porch when I got home from work. They join the first one bought some months ago. Also in the box were 3 1 liter amber glass bottles. As soon as I started working with the glass bottles I realized that keeping them unbroken for years is going to take some discipline. Are we SURE the nic can't stay in the plastic bottles for the duration? MFS advertises the original bottles as HDPE plastic. Does anybody know anything about that material? I ignored those misgivings and transfered the nic from the new arrivals into the glass bottles, labeled contents and date, put them in the zip lock bags that protected the plastic bottles, re wrapped them in the bubble wrap they shipped in and put them in the freezer. They are secure on the door shelf, which I never use. Now they will sit there for years before they might be opened. Whew.

May be there will never be restricted access or taxes on 100mg nic or may be it will be more years before those come and time to stockpile later but each of those $50 bottles is worth almost $12,000 in cigarette dollars. It's time to learn how to make this work. Lesson 1, glass nic bottles are a risk. You can't vape a puddle on the floor. It would be good to have an alternative.

Sounds like you did a great job. Yes, glass is certainly a breakage risk so keeping the in ziplock bags wrapped in bubble wrap is ideal.

The reason plastic doesn't work for long term storage is it allows gas transfer, in other words oxygen will slowly seep in.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
LOL!!! You win! :) That's the most 100MG NIC stash I've ever seen on ECF from a Vapor consumer as opposed to a vendor! Period! How close are you to the nearest airport where jets can land! /lol /joke

I'm sure you have your reasons but that's really none of my business. Congrats!

I'm an avid extractor (tobacco), and go through more liquid nic than the typical vaper. I supply family/friends with straight/flavored NETs and try to help others who want to quit smoking, so will need -plenty- of liquid nic in the years to come. I actually plan to increase my current stockpile but will wait until just before the regulatory shoe drops before doing so. Considering my age, I don't plan on needing to buy any more after my next purchase....ever.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN

I bought a bunch of 30ml brown glass bottles - that way I when it's time to break into the supply, I don't need to disturb more than one of those small bottles, each of which should last me between 2-3 months.

Reactions: Str8vision

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I bought a bunch of 30ml brown glass bottles - that way I when it's time to break into the supply, I don't need to disturb more than one of those small bottles, each of which should last me between 2-3 months.
That approach takes more freezer space than I can spare. My plan is there will be 3 1 liter and 1 250 ml nic bottles in the freezer. I'll open the 250 ml bottle about once a month to make a batch. Then once every 10-12 months I'll open the active 1 liter bottle to refill the smaller one. I've considered getting an aerosal can of CO2, the kind used for dusting optics and put some in to the nic bottle to replace the air with CO2 before closing. I have no idea if that would remove enough oxygen to make a difference but...

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I've been thinking of buying, 250 or 500ml of pure nicotine, pipetmans p10 and p200 and cones, alicot them in small volume and freeze... Takes less space that the 100mg/ml solutions. Not recommended for everyone though, but I am spending my life in labs so I am pretty trained in handling these kind of matters. Haven't made my mind just yet. I think I'll wait and see for now.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have had four freezers running in my garage, two of them for over ten years. I live in AZ. where it gets over 110 out there, only had one incident last summer when one of my 20 year old freezers shut down. I think it was the humidity rose from our rainey season and caused the the condensor to freeze up. Just unplugged it for a day and plugged it back in and works fine.
It's my understanding that really cold ambient temperatures are much harder on a freezer than hot ones. Yes, this is somewhat counter-intuitive... One issue is the thickening of the compressor oil at low ambient temperatures and another is the somewhat higher boiling point of current refrigerants vs. the older ones that have been banned as environmentally unfriendly.

Using mech mods, which really don't leave much space for technical upgrades due to their structural simplicity, I think I'll be fine. I have six mech mods and unless I break all of them (which could happen if I vent/drop them one by one, but hopefully I will spare few of them) I would only have to buy batteries, kanthal wires and cottons. Surely their price would stay the same, right? Oh, but e juices, yes. Their prices would rise but hey, what can you do? I'm just hoping e juice price would be cheaper than cigarettes.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Oh, but e juices, yes. Their prices would rise but hey, what can you do? I'm just hoping e juice price would be cheaper than cigarettes.
If you stock some nic in your freezer and learn to mix juice yourself, you'll be able to vape essentially for free for the foreseeable future.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
2000 mls of 100mg nic, some mods, subtanks , rdas, 20lbs of rice, 20lbs of beans, 3 x 50gl barrels of water, 5000 rnds of ammo, and a lot of kanthal......
If you multiplied all those numbers by 10, I'd take your username and avatar seriously. :D

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
It's my understanding that really cold ambient temperatures are much harder on a freezer than hot ones. Yes, this is somewhat counter-intuitive... One issue is the thickening of the compressor oil at low ambient temperatures and another is the somewhat higher boiling point of current refrigerants vs. the older ones that have been banned as environmentally unfriendly.
That makes sense, the only problem has been when the humidity increases at a fast and extreme amount. Here in Az. it is usually 5% humidity, and when it starts raining in 11o degrees it jumps to 100% humidity in a couple minutes, and freezes the condensors, at least on the older ones. My newer freezers do not seem to have a problem with it though.

How long do you think flavorings will last, and what do you suppose the proper storage would be.
I have transfered all of mine into amber glass bottles and keep in the fridge when not useing, especially in summer months. I have some flavors from TFA that are a couple years old now and still taste good.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
How long do you think flavorings will last, and what do you suppose the proper storage would be.
I have transfered all of mine into amber glass bottles and keep in the fridge when not useing, especially in summer months. I have some flavors from TFA that are a couple years old now and still taste good.

I wish I knew the answer to this one. Many have asked. I think part of the problem is that the answer might be different for each flavoring. I asked a couple of flavoring vendors and they said don't put it in the fridge, just keep it in a cool dark place.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I wish I knew the answer to this one. Many have asked. I think part of the problem is that the answer might be different for each flavoring. I asked a couple of flavoring vendors and they said don't put it in the fridge, just keep it in a cool dark place.
Thanks for the reply, here in Az. it is hard to find a cool dark place, so I will keep it in my garage refrigerator for now I guess. I havent noticed any change in color ,flavour or consistency in a couple years. I will report my findings in a couple more years, If the forum still exists by then. Carry on.

Reactions: englishmick

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Last week I was putting a new wick in a Lemo. I had the bottom of the tank on a mod and I dropped it. Not far, about 1 foot onto a table. It landed on the edge of the tank, they are made of very thin metal and it bent in slightly, just enough that the glass wouldn't fit. Got it bent back out with needle nose pliers. If it hadn't been fixable I could have ordered a couple more anyway.

But I started thinking how that would have felt if we were living in the post-apocalypse world and the tanks I had were all I could ever have. My blood would have frozen in my veins. What if I dropped a mod and messed up the 510 connection. What if I dropped a liter bottle of nic. What if the levee failed and my house was flooded.

Maybe I need twice as many of everything, and secure off site storage for the reserve stash.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Thanks for the reply, here in Az. it is hard to find a cool dark place, so I will keep it in my garage refrigerator for now I guess. I havent noticed any change in color ,flavour or consistency in a couple years. I will report my findings in a couple more years, If the forum still exists by then. Carry on.

Yeah, I know about AZ heat. Back in the 90's on an impulse I bought 10 acres of mesquite not far from you, near Bisbee. I go down there once in a while and camp out. I was planning to retire there. Maybe I will one day. Definitely need to get refrigeration figured out if I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread