So what are the stockpiling strategies in light of an uncertain future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Elizabeth , Thank You..........I thought I went overboard buying 4 Liters of 100mg :) , But I have to say that now your making me question whether I have enough! PS; I wasn't aware that freezing pg/vg was needed, does it extend its life( I refrigerate mine)?

I think the more Nic we have the better! We can always sale some off later if it's just way too much. I doubt I would sale mine though. I plan on it lasting up through my old age years!!!

I freeze my PG and VG so it will last longer than it's marked shelf life. I have large quantities. You don't necessarily have to, but if you plan on long term storage I'd advise freezing it.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
My husband is worse than I am. He's trying to make me buy a barrel or drum of 100mg nic, and a ton more of PG/VG and get another freezer. I don't think we will need that much. :eek:

Any houses for sale in your neighborhood?

:D

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I vape 5 ml of 6 mg juice a day. I have 1.6L of nic in my freezer - enough for me for at least for 14 years. I believe I have enough - doubt a lot I would still be vaping in 14 years, I think I'll be tired of it. I hope in a few years I'll be a casual vaper - a few hours a week. Then it will turn out I have a lifetime supply of nicotine...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Some people use more nic than others. A liter of 100mg will only last me somewhere between 2-1/2 and 3 years. Since I have no desire to stop or even cut back, and I figure I might live another 30 years (if I'm lucky), I'm looking to have a wee bit more than 1.6L on hand. ;)

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Some people use more nic than others. A liter of 100mg will only last me somewhere between 2-1/2 and 3 years. Since I have no desire to stop or even cut back, and I figure I might live another 30 years (if I'm lucky), I'm looking to have a wee bit more than 1.6L on hand. ;)

How much nic we stash away also is dependent on how many people you will be making juice for. If it's just you then yeah you won't need nearly as much as me. I have several people that I make juice for now. They depend solely on me making their juice. There's also a few friends who buy their juice but have already told me if the FDA regulations go through they want to buy juice from me. So I'm stocking up for quite a few people.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How much nic we stash away also is dependent on how many people you will be making juice for. If it's just you then yeah you won't need nearly as much as me. I have several people that I make juice for now. They depend solely on me making their juice. There's also a few friends who buy their juice but have already told me if the FDA regulations go through they want to buy juice from me. So I'm stocking up for quite a few people.
Yep, if I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the same thing. But none of my family members, friends, or associates is a vaper, and only one is a smoker. In the end, I'll probably double up on what I think I need for myself though, just in case...

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
4 other family members vape, trying to make it 5. I make all their juice.
5 liters in the freezer and 4 in the fridge waiting for 250ml bottles w/ polycone caps from POD.
I'll get more when the fecal matter strikes the rotating air circulator.
Hopefully there will be a considerable grace period to get more as late as possible.
I think I have at least enough for me & the Mrs forever. We're about 55 now.
She can hit the road if we start running out in our 70's or 80's though.

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
4 other family members vape, trying to make it 5. I make all their juice.
5 liters in the freezer and 4 in the fridge waiting for 250ml bottles w/ polycone caps from POD.
I'll get more when the fecal matter strikes the rotating air circulator.
Hopefully there will be a considerable grace period to get more as late as possible.
I think I have at least enough for me & the Mrs forever. We're about 55 now.
She can hit the road if we start running out in our 70's or 80's though.

The only thing is, once the fecal matter strikes demand will skyrocket, prices will rise and shortages will be almost instantaneous. Cheap, quality nic will become a thing of the past.

Last edited:

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
So... here is what I was driving at with respect to "intended use" and lets assume for sake of discussion in this thread that the FDA lowers the boom on every major flavor vendor in the DIY world. For example CA, TFA, FA, etc. Which forces them to either vanish from planet Earth or Mars with their ejuice flavors or spend MILLIONS for PMTAs. I've simplified it somewhat so we don't get stuck in the weeds. Sure they could eliminate vaping ejuice flavors and continue to sell GRAS stuff for cooking but who are we kidding if the FDA wants to play hardball.

MY QUESTION: All the NIC and PG/VG in the world won't produce a flavored juice so what is our stockpiling hedge for flavors? Sure, a small percent will vape unflavored, some will hold their breath for the courts, and some will go to the black market. I'm not into vanilla beans in a jar for a DIY extract of my own. Shelf life of flavors is certainly NOT 10 years and I would guess maybe a max of 2 or 3 years. So....???

:)

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
So... here is what I was driving at with respect to "intended use" and lets assume for sake of discussion in this thread that the FDA lowers the boom on every major flavor vendor in the DIY world. For example CA, TFA, FA, etc. Which forces them to either vanish from planet Earth or Mars with their ejuice flavors or spend MILLIONS for PMTAs. I've simplified it somewhat so we don't get stuck in the weeds. Sure they could eliminate vaping ejuice flavors and continue to sell GRAS stuff for cooking but who are we kidding if the FDA wants to play hardball.

MY QUESTION: All the NIC and PG/VG in the world won't produce a flavored juice so what is our stockpiling hedge for flavors? Sure, a small percent will vape unflavored, some will hold their breath for the courts, and some will go to the black market. I'm not into vanilla beans in a jar for a DIY extract of my own. Shelf life of flavors is certainly NOT 10 years and I would guess maybe a max of 2 or 3 years. So....???

USP menthol crystals...a little goes a very long way, and in crystal form shelf life is indefinite.

Reactions: MorpheusPA

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I don't believe the flavor suppliers will be going anywhere. Most of the flavors we use were not specifically created for vaping. They are used for other purposes, just like batteries are.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I think flavorings will still be available, as many were before vaping came about. Before TFA existed, it was already in place as The Perfumers Apprentice as an example. The european flavoring providers aren't going away either, so it shouldn't be much trouble to put together something that suits most any taste buds.

USP menthol crystals...a little goes a very long way, and in crystal form shelf life is indefinite.

This. I have a pound on hand, and it's not like they'll stop selling them. They're used in soap making, lotion making, and a billion other places.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
The only thing is, once the fecal matter strikes demand will skyrocket, prices will rise and shortages will be almost instantaneous. Cheap, quality nic will become a thing of the past.
Hopefully we'll never know.

But 9L JIC with me @ 3mg 20ml/day and Mrs. @ 12mg 2ml/day should be safe for 38 years :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: B2L

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014

TFA, Flavorwest and a few others were flavor companies way before vaping ever hit the market. If you go to TFAs website, no where on their site does it mention anything about vaping or ecigs. It is all about usage for cooking and in perfume! We use it in the way that we do because we know it works! If the FDA does hit flavor companies, TFA is one they won't do anything with because they've never advertised as such. It will be business as usual for them. They can't take away every flavor company. Bakers would sue them. Some of the flavor companies do mention ecigs or vaping on their sites. I still don't think the FDA can do much with flavor companies that even talk about vaping. I think they'll hit mods, tanks, and nic. If they crack down on those they've done enough damage to the majority of vapers. Only the DIY will keep going with business as usual. But... if they do hit flavor companies it would be the ones who advertise their flavors for use in vaping. It's all about 'intended use".

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks to ALL my fellow hoarders! /lol Some interesting thoughts and of course, all of us are only guessing. IF you want to argue "intended use" I'm not so sure I agree with you. Knock Knock RTS VAPES! See any cooking stuff or perfume stuff on their site? That's a WHOLESALE RELATIONSHIP between flavor companys and a vaping supply company. That's a defacto advertisement by TFA, CA, Hangsen, FA, etc on a vaping web site. Not even the "guise" of cooking or do not use for vaping. I hope I'm wrong to tell you the truth but IMHO, you can't mitigate risk unless you try and understand all of the possibilities.

EDITED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread