FDA So what might really happen with regulations/bans? Should we be stocking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wish that we had a very knowledgeable and well spoken spokesperson who could be contacted and made available by teleconference at short notice so that when local medias wanted to run a vaping story, that person could be contacted and provide a balanced and accurate report.
There are many such people, and every blue moon someone actually contacts them for quotes.
But most of the time, the opinions from our side are not desired.

Or maybe, to give them the benefit of the doubt, I should say...
Perhaps they aren't even aware we HAVE a side, or people qualified to speak to that.

Which of course just means they haven't done ANY real research at all.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
There are many such people, and every blue moon someone actually contacts them for quotes.
But most of the time, the opinions from our side are not desired.

Or maybe, to give them the benefit of the doubt, I should say...
Perhaps they aren't even aware we HAVE a side, or people qualified to speak to that.

Which of course just means they haven't done ANY real research at all.

Exactly. Stacking the deck has been going on for some time, like shows that book "liberals" that have no idea what "liberals" are thinking or saying. It's a joke, too bad it's not funny when it's so misleading.

I don't know what's going on with that reporter or if they are reflecting an editoral position. Keep calling them on it. These things change in inches rather than feet or miles.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I really hope nothing drastic happens here in a negative way...would be a shame. I wonder if Health Canada will follow suit...

Sadly, I think we both know what that answer is. From my understanding, HC doesn't seem to think they need any laws or regulations to do what they please with nicotine.

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
I just spent the last 10mins reading all this banter about cassa..... :-/ Back to the original posted question... YES you should be stocking up on 100mg nic! NOW, not tomorrow. RIGHT NOW. This comment period is a formality and a waste of time. We WILL all get screwed with the FDA rules. I feel bad for the brick and mortars, but I don't even visit them anymore. My local stores have gotten greedy and are milking this cow for all it's worth while they can. I'm going it alone on this one. If you don't think you can quit vaping today and NOT go back to smokes, you better be proactive. And I think you can write all the letters to the village idiots in washington, but at the end of the day, the only one that will look out for you is YOURSELF!!!! Get going NOW on diy juice if you're not doing it yet. I'm not worried about devices, I travel the world and will get them home one way or the other. Anything else you need, you can buy at walmart.

So YES! Stock up on 100mg nic, stick it in dark glass bottles in the freezer and sit back and watch the show. Worst case, you'll save tons of money making your juice. Think $1.30 for a 30ml bottle. (I was paying close to $20 for the same stuff!) Now that's robbery!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
To OP without quoting:

I did some pretty hard thinking before deciding what to say to you. You've already been given good advice on how to stock up but, additionally, to make good decisions you have to know what you're dealing with. That is not only corruption and greed but bigotry. No doubt you already know about the corruption as well as the greed but perhaps haven't considered that you are now a member of a group targeted by bigots. Racism, sexism or many of the other "isms" involving prejudice and bigotry, supposedly not acceptable to the power group, have been transfered by them beginning with smoking and now vaping along with political ideologies that disagree with their own. In summary, you're dealing with haters... closeted or not. If you're following the news, then you know Louis Lerner's emails in which she shows such hatred and intolerance that it can only be described as bigotry have been divulged to the public. Currently no term has been popularly developed for this "new" brand of discrimination so I just refer to it as bigotry. As such it is not rational so can't be dealt with rationally especially when making decisions. All one can do is recognize they are a target due to their chosen lifestyle and prepare as best they can but you can't do that if you succumb to the idea that there's some sort of rationality behind attempts to "protect" or "aid" you. I'm afraid that kind of lofty idealism will leave you unprepared and at their mercy which they have little-to-none of. Just recognize this one single thing and you'll no longer be waiting for some sort of rational move by the powers that be but preparing for "man's inhumanity to man."

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To OP without quoting:

I did some pretty hard thinking before deciding what to say to you. You've already been given good advice on how to stock up but, additionally, to make good decisions you have to know what you're dealing with. That is not only corruption and greed but bigotry. No doubt you already know about the corruption as well as the greed but perhaps haven't considered that you are now a member of a group targeted by bigots. Racism, sexism or many of the other "isms" involving prejudice and bigotry, supposedly not acceptable to the power group, have been transfered by them beginning with smoking and now vaping along with political ideologies that disagree with their own. In summary, you're dealing with haters... closeted or not. If you're following the news, then you know Louis Lerner's emails in which she shows such hatred and intolerance that it can only be described as bigotry have been divulged to the public. Currently no term has been popularly developed for this "new" brand of discrimination so I just refer to it as bigotry. As such it is not rational so can't be dealt with rationally especially when making decisions. All one can do is recognize they are a target due to their chosen lifestyle and prepare as best they can but you can't do that if you succumb to the idea that there's some sort of rationality behind attempts to "protect" or "aid" you. I'm afraid that kind of lofty idealism will leave you unprepared and at their mercy which they have little-to-none of. Just recognize this one single thing and you'll no longer be waiting for some sort of rational move by the powers that be but preparing for "man's inhumanity to man."
Outstanding post.

This summarizes our situation precisely and succinctly.
And teaches a few lessons, for those who are inclined to learn them.

For those that aren't so inclined?
Good luck.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
patkin

heilig.gif

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
What Patkin said is easily demonstrated on the MSNBC website. Pick ANY political article and read the comments for one of them. I'm afraid it's not just DC. I swear the general public has turned completely STUPID! They are sheep and drinking the koolaid. Disgusting. Time will help them all choke on their kinder, gentler to all, green agendas. The best example that comes to mind is that stupid twit gomez running her mouth last week about Hamas. :facepalm: And that's what the younger people look at for a role model? This country is SCREWED! Even JFK would be disgusted with the current situation is DC. (and I think he was a POS!)

DebiK

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Georgia
Sorry to interrupt the great conversation going on here, but I have a question.

I saw a couple of timelines around. WORST case scenario, when is the soonest that the FDA could start the wheels turning on limits/bans? When could we possibly be hit with high taxes?

I have a very limited vaping budget. I want to stock up. I'm getting things little by little. I'm just wondering how panicked I should be.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I've just purchased a mech mod and RDAs. I think they're the most robust of all kit. Others will disagree.
Secondly, cut way, way down on nicotine. Currently around 0-3mg. Also gone VG all the way.

Lastly, gotten to know what o-rings I would need should they need replacement, and where to buy them.

Some may think I'm going too far, but I'm covered should the worst of the worst happen.

We needn't be too scared though. Vaping is here to stay, even if it's not in the format we prefer.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
To OP without quoting:

I'm sorry, but racism, bigotry and sexism don't have one single thing to do with this. It's beyond ludicrous to think that. It all boils down to two things. The first is crony-capitalism. Where special interests lobby and flat out buy off our "public servants" so that they will be able to corner the market. Hey, it's cheaper to buy off a congressman than have to compete in the marketplace and unfortunately, our government has proven to be for sale to the highest bidder. The second is a populace, at least in the United States, who has forgotten our most basic founding principles and now apparently believes that everyone's liberty should be turned over to an all encompassing federal government. Not content to focus on their own lives, way too many Americans now believe that they should use government force to tell everyone else how to live, even if those other people are not infringing on anyone else's liberty in the least.

So yeah, people wanted big government and they got it. You are now reaping the rewards. Enjoy.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I saw a couple of timelines around. WORST case scenario, when is the soonest that the FDA could start the wheels turning on limits/bans? When could we possibly be hit with high taxes?

I have a very limited vaping budget. I want to stock up. I'm getting things little by little. I'm just wondering how panicked I should be.

I'm not sure Panicked is how a person should be feeling right Now.

If you are thinking that you would like to Stock Up (which is Never a Bad Idea) I would ask you, What do you Use?

Most believe that Hardware will be the Least Effected in the Short Term. And things like Coil Wire, Wicks and Pure Batteries are going to be Impossible for the FDA to Restrict. So if wouldn't be Rushing out to buy a Dozen 18650 Batteries.

The Real Key to the Deeming is the Nicotine Containing e-Liquids.

If I was you, I would be Focusing on the e-Liquids. And if you do not Currently DIY, I would be Learning How to make your Own Flavored e-Liquids ASAP.

Nothing Wrong with Stocking Up on your Favorite Clearos or Cartos. Nothing at all. But Remember, Hardware is No Good Unless you have an e-Liquid to put into them.

My Opinion is that the 1st thing the FDA will do is Restrict the Sale of Nicotine e-Liquids (and Nicotine Base) to Face to Face Transactions Only. No Sales over the Internet just like Cigarettes.

The FDA will have the Power to do this once the Deeming is approved by Congress.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

See my post #3 in this thread... basically:

"IF (big if) you have certain hardware and eliquid that you know you could vape forever, then there's no downside on stocking up if you have the present time cash flow. If that is the case, you will use them in the future if there is a ban or partial ban, so you won't be out anything other than present time cash, which you would have spent anyway."

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My Opinion is that the 1st thing the FDA will do is Restrict the Sale of Nicotine e-Liquids (and Nicotine Base) to Face to Face Transactions Only. No Sales over the Internet just like Cigarettes.

The FDA will have the Power to do this once the Deeming is approved by Congress.
I don't think that is true.

I believe the PACT Act controls what tobacco products can not be sold over the internet.
And I believe that it specifically states which tobacco products are subject.

I think the PACT Act would have to be amended by Congress to disallow e-liquid sales over the internet.

Having said that I agree with you that e-liquid is the target point any informed opposition would be aiming for.
And there are many ways to restrict access to that, I just don't think the internet sales angle is the best choice for them yet.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't think that is true.

I believe the PACT Act controls what tobacco products can not be sold over the internet.
And I believe that it specifically states which tobacco products are subject.

I think the PACT Act would have to be amended by Congress to disallow e-liquid sales over the internet.

Having said that I agree with you that e-liquid is the target point any informed opposition would be aiming for.
And there are many ways to restrict access to that, I just don't think the internet sales angle is the best choice for them yet.

I hope you are Correct.

But as I Understand it, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act gives the FDA the Power to do among Other Things...

Calls for new rules to prevent sales except through direct, face-to-face exchanges between a retailer and a consumer.

Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW - Isn't this what has the Cigar Crowd so Up in Arms? They are Afraid that Cigars may not be Sold over the Internet anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread